which radio should I choose to dji F550?

fredrik

Hi
I recently bought a dji F550 with Naza v2 and gimbal.
Now it only remains to order my first radio :) It stands between Spectrum DX9, dx18, 14sg futaba or jr 8xG or 14xg.
Which radio would you recommend me to buy?
Regards
Fredrik

Tahoe Ed

If you are planning to fly DJI products, I would get the Futaba 14SG. SBus make things so much easier.

Tahoe Ed

Coming from JR there was a learning curve for me. However, with the greater complexity comes greater flexibility to assign switches and map channels. With the new A2 you can see the way of the future with this radio.

farmerfred

Spektrum DX8 for me. Excellent radio and great for the telemetry feature like GPS altitude. Has enough channel for what I need at the moment.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Futaba for sure, you don't need a 14 channel, 8 is ample in most cases. One thing you don't see on these forums is many complaints about Futaba, unlike some of the cheaper alternatives.

-----------------------------------------------
Sent from my electronic telecommunications thingy majiggy, using my fingers and stuff.

sledge57

Don't be afraid about the complexity of programming Futaba, it's really not that bad and once you get a handle on it you'll have an "ah ha" moment and it'll make a lot more sense. Also there's a bunch of us here with Futaba Txs that can point you in the right direction and help if you get stuck.

tahoejmfc

James Cole
go with the futaba, it has clean PPM signal if you ever want to go LRS (Spektrum PPM has a bad signal) the T8J is a great one on ebay with receiver for like 245 shipped

I would say the FrSky Taranis. Having flown the other transmitters I just LOVE this one. You can't beat it. It, in my opinion, beats all other competition with 16 channels and kills them in price.

econfly

If you are planning to fly DJI products, I would get the Futaba 14SG. SBus make things so much easier.

I have the 14SG and agree it is a great radio. One thing I am realizing, however, is how DJI's recent products take away the telemetry benefit of the radio (or at least that's my understanding). I'm looking at using an A2 and perhaps a lightbridge, but from what I can tell either (or both) would mean no telemetry on my radio (in the case of the A2, assuming one used it as the receiver), and that's a big loss. I really like the voltage information and alarm on the radio, and recently have been playing around with a current / mAh sensor that is very neat (link below). Giving that up won't be easy, but it seems the way that DJI is going it will be hard to avoid. Am I understanding things correctly? I don't have an A2 yet, and the lightbridge is not available, so I am reaching these conclusions based on specs and not experience.

http://www.tje.dk/efuelgauge/

W. Reimer

I've got a Hitec Aurora 9 for my 550 that I'm very happy with. It's a couple of years old, but the feature set is still very relevant. it's an easy radio to program with the touch screen, I really like the ability to assign timers to the throttle, and set endpoints for them. The are a couple of things I'm not crazy about, but it's been a good radio so far.

The DJI iOSD Mark II provides most telemetry features as an FPV video overlay which is a nice way to go if you want FPV. Also it records a lot of inflight data that can be downloaded after the flight. But if you want GPS Lat long data you have to go with the DJI GCS system....... which enables you to control your MR from your PC c/w Google Earth live mapping background which enables you to fly long distance without FPV!!!

I have the 14SG and agree it is a great radio. One thing I am realizing, however, is how DJI's recent products take away the telemetry benefit of the radio (or at least that's my understanding). I'm looking at using an A2 and perhaps a lightbridge, but from what I can tell either (or both) would mean no telemetry on my radio (in the case of the A2, assuming one used it as the receiver), and that's a big loss. I really like the voltage information and alarm on the radio, and recently have been playing around with a current / mAh sensor that is very neat (link below). Giving that up won't be easy, but it seems the way that DJI is going it will be hard to avoid. Am I understanding things correctly? I don't have an A2 yet, and the lightbridge is not available, so I am reaching these conclusions based on specs and not experience.

http://www.tje.dk/efuelgauge/