Hoverfly New to Hoverfly

Jjgonzo66

Hi guys

I'm new to this controller boards
I purchased a hoverfly green board and the gps board from a couple of members here.
this is the thing, Im having a hard time connecting the board to my computer. I have tried to down load the drivers but the page is not found.
Did a bit of research and found some updates but still cannot make a connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

panino

Does Your board give anny sign of life when You connect it? Regardless of drivers being instaled or not the led should blink red and You should hear a beep followed by 3 beeps. When the led changes to amber the board is ready to connect.
Try a diferent usb cable, try a different pc.
I have issues when connecting to my lptp, but it connects to my pc every time.
update to 4.8
http://www.hoverflytech.com/Software_Updates.html
You need the one marked "for older boards"
cheers
Vladimir

Jjgonzo66

Hoverfly green board

Thanks for the input Vladimir,

After a while I was able to connect the board, I think it was the cable. Down loaded the latest firmware. I have to make sure i did it for the older model though. Now it appears that the board doesn't like the esc s that I'm using: they are the dji 30 opto, because the board does not even detect my rx.
I'm very excited about this board & gps -I cannot wait to see how it flies.

Best Regards

Jose luis

Does Your board give anny sign of life when You connect it? Regardless of drivers being instaled or not the led should blink red and You should hear a beep followed by 3 beeps. When the led changes to amber the board is ready to connect.
Try a diferent usb cable, try a different pc.
I have issues when connecting to my lptp, but it connects to my pc every time.
update to 4.8
http://www.hoverflytech.com/Software_Updates.html
You need the one marked "for older boards"
cheers
Vladimir

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
opto esc's are a bit freaky with the Hoverfly PRO boards. you may need to disconnect the #1 and 2 esc's before connecting to the computer or just pull the red wires from the ESC wires.

also, i don't think the DJI 30A Opto's have a bec so there is no power passing through the PRO to power the receiver. if that is the case you'll need to route appropriate power to the receiver.

panino

By a 5v BEC. Plug it to any free esc port. Et voila Your RX will work.
Opto escs DO NOT supply power to the board. You need a separate supply (BEC).
Receiver is powered through the ESC port NOT through main board power
cheers

elossam

Be careful andcremove the props while playig with the board if you use dji 30 escs. In my case one starts spining at full thr ust after connection. Cant remember wich one but never found the reasson.

Jjgonzo66

thank you so much for all your input.
As it turns out, I replaced the dji opto ecs for some AKE 12 amp ones and the rx came to life; motors arm and board beeps and activates after the stick commands.
The thing now is that it keeps beeping. Checked all the wires and connections and still no success. I have decided to attempt to program the escs perhaps that will solve the problem. if not, what ready-to-go-escs do you guys recommend?

again thank you for all your help

mbsteed

aerial video centric
If you are talking about beeping coming from the Hoverfly board, that is normal and actually a safety feature that indicates your board is armed, it doesn't go away till you give it more throttle.

I am using Afro 30A (HobbyKing) with my setup and those are working smoothly so far.

Jjgonzo66

Hi guys
Thank you so much for all your input.
Got it! the board beeps as it is armed & quits after throttle input.
Anyhow, I thought I was ready to go to test it, and what? No yaw control.
I ve checked all the wires, reseted the throttle indicator in hp set-up utility to mirror my futaba 10c throttle stick with no success. Ive searched the net to see if I can find a posting that could be of some assistance but so far "nada".
Im stumped. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Jjgonzo66

I held the quad with one hand and throttled up , and with the other, moved right stick front, back ect and then rudder. I could feel all the other stick inputs but rudder. I also tried to fly on the back patio to verify if indeed this was the case. The quad lifts but it spins around without control.

Jjgonzo66

I also grabbed the quad with one hand and with the other i throttled up and down, right stick forward and back ward ect. I could feel and see all stick inputs but yaw.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I would recommend checking your connections to make sure that yaw is setup properly in the radio and the receiver and it is connected properly to the correct input on the Hoverfly Pro board. You should be able to test this in the Assistant Software - power up the ship while the usb is connected and while the assistant software is open. Make sure you select to Connect and then you should be able to see the inputs from all the sticks from the software assistant.

elossam

As mbsteed said you need to have it on air to have full control or request for a friends help to hold the ufo over his head while giving enough thr to sense the stick corrections or the IMU corrections. On the bench it´s quite difficult and you will see "muy poco" close to "nada".

Bartman

Hi guys
Thank you so much for all your input.
Got it! the board beeps as it is armed & quits after throttle input.
Anyhow, I thought I was ready to go to test it, and what? No yaw control.
I ve checked all the wires, reseted the throttle indicator in hp set-up utility to mirror my futaba 10c throttle stick with no success. Ive searched the net to see if I can find a posting that could be of some assistance but so far "nada".
Im stumped. any advice would be greatly appreciated

try using a different channel from your receiver plugged into the yaw pins of the HFP. see if you can get that channel of the board to recognize the non-yaw channel from your receiver. if it works and you can make the yaw slider move in the setup utility then your receiver's yaw output may be defective. if, on the other hand, you can't make the yaw slider move in the setup utility and the other sliders all work normally then the yaw channel of the board may be defective.....at some point also try a different servo cable between the receiver and the HFP's yaw pins.

panino

Since You are using HFP with GPS board, You must do the compass calibration as described on the hoverfly website.

https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/en...ibration-for-the-HoverflyGPS-v-4-3-and-above-

If You do not do it the craft will not know where the front is oriented, hence will rotate around the center axis. This is essential step that You should not miss.

Try flying with GPS board removed. The craft will then rely on the gyros only and if everything else (prop rotations and motor addressing) is ok, You should have a steady craft.

try it
Vladimir

Bartman

the way i read his post, i thought he wasn't seeing any movement of the yaw slider in the Hoverfly SetupClient when he had the radio on and the board connected....it sounded to me like the other sliders were moving with the RC transmitter inputs.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I read it differently, he indicated he was holding the ship and trying to establish if he could sense the control of the sticks by feel from the movement. I don't recall any mention of him using the setup assistant.

Jjgonzo66

Gentlemen,
thanks again for your input. I greatly appreciate it!

i indeed can see all sliders moving on the set up assistant when i move the sticks of my tx.
what it is strange to me is that the gear channel epa has to be set very low 20 on both ends because otherwise the ship shakes uncontrollably.
ill try your suggestions to rule out a faulty board.

again all your input is greatly appreciate it.

ill post the results