S800 EVO Motor Mounts are not installed properly at factory!

CG Photo

Everyone with an S800 EVO, you should inspect your motor mount grommets right now, before your next flight. The factory is not installing them correctly. They are being put in randomly. Each grommet has a top and bottom. If put in backwards it will substantially shorten the lift of the grommet. In looking at my frame and close up images of others frames, I see some grommets are being installed right side up and some are upside down. In addition to wearing out faster, if the grommets are mismatched, then the motor will not be level with the frame arm. Grommets should all be installed with the large end up.

View attachment 15458View attachment 15459View attachment 15460

Attachments

• CG1_0011.jpg
    CG1_0011.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 735
  • CG1_0013.jpg
    CG1_0013.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 448
  • CG1_0014.jpg
    CG1_0014.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 348

deluge2

Motor tilt is by design, but can be done incorrectly

Apologies if i've misinterpreted your post...

Please note that the original s800, the 'early' s800 EVO, and the 'later' s800 EVO systems each come with motors canted slightly (as viewed from the motor end along the axis of the arm). The 3 clockwise motors are canted in one direction, and the 3 CCW in the opposite direction. In the s800 and early s800 EVO the slight canting was accomplished using shims inserted under the 2 mounting screws on either the left or right side of the motor (as viewed along the arm. The later EVOs incorporated the anti-vibe plate and specifically used the asymmetry in the grommets to achieve the same effect with the plate slightly higher on one side than the other by intentionally reversing the grommet orientation between the left and right sides to achieve the slight lean in the proper direction. You'll find multiple discussions regarding the supposed pros and cons of this slight angulation which is generally understood to provide added yaw authority to the flight controller.

All this being said, it is certainly possible that the grommets could be wrongly installed if the tilts of the two sets of 3 (i.e. 3 CW motors vs. 3 CCW motors) are not opposed in direction, or the directions for the two sets are reversed, or the tilt is not to the 'side' when viewed along the axis of the arm.

So it certainly appears that the grommets are not correct in the photos you provided, however it is not correct that to fix this, the grommets should *all* be in the same orientation for a correct install. Each motor should lean to the left or to the right achieved by proper grommet orientation. Unfortunately I don't recall which direction the tilt is for CW vs. CCW off the top of my head...

Steve

Everyone with an S800 EVO, you should inspect your motor mount grommets right now, before your next flight. The factory is not installing them correctly. They are being put in randomly. Each grommet has a top and bottom. If put in backwards it will substantially shorten the lift of the grommet. In looking at my frame and close up images of others frames, I see some grommets are being installed right side up and some are upside down. In addition to wearing out faster, if the grommets are mismatched, then the motor will not be level with the frame arm. Grommets should all be installed with the large end up.

View attachment 19333View attachment 19334View attachment 19335

CG Photo

The whole idea of tilting the motors is silly. The grommets are not holding up when installed upside down as widely reported. One user said they saw failure within 2 hours of flight time. I have re-installed all of my grommets with the large end up as they were designed to be installed. The manual and the whole idea of tilting the motors is an after thought. I flew mine for 30 minutes today without the tilt and it flies as it should with plenty of yaw authority. I believe this is yet another example of a half-baked ideas that are not tested or though out before being released to the public. If an engineer wanted the motors tilted, they would have designed it into the arm.

I really like my DJI equipment and prefer DJI products when building but sometimes they do these stupid things that just makes things worse. Still waiting for them to repair the damage they did to the H3-2D gimbal with the last software release, that was a total brain fart on their part.

rilot

They would have had a reason to do it that way though. I won't be changing mine from how they came from the factory.

deluge2

Just in case someone comes across this thread and is left wondering which is "right", here is the text from the 07-Feb-2014 version 1.10 of the s800 EVO User Manual:

"Assemble the Vibration Absorber of MotorsThe soft gasket is apart of the Vibration Absorber and it has a thick end and a thin end, it’s important to assemble the soft gaskets in correct approach adhere to the diagram below.

Propeller CCW: the thick ends of the gaskets (A) are upwards, the thick ends of the gaskets (B) are downwards.

Propeller CW: the thick ends of the gaskets (C) are downwards, the thick ends of the gaskets (D) are upwards.
"

This text is accompanied by a diagram illustrating the proper orientation of the gaskets that makes clear that this specified approach (as viewed from the motor end of the arm) will result in:

Clockwise rotation motors being canted slightly to the Right, and

Counter-Clockwise rotation motors being canted slightly to the Left.

Of course, one is free to follow or ignore DJI's instruction, but it is pretty ridiculous to assert that this differential orientation of the motors is not 'what the engineer wanted'. I received an early model s800 EVO without the 'Vibration Absorbing' assemblies. In the early models, the motor canting was in the same directions, but was accomplished with rigid shims on the appropriate sides of the motors to produce the same effect. This was the same approach used in the original s800. Subsequently the Vibration Absorbing assemblies were developed and the asymmetrical gaskets were oriented appropriately to produce the desired slight differential canting of the CW vs. CCW motors.

Steve

The whole idea of tilting the motors is silly. The grommets are not holding up when installed upside down as widely reported. One user said they saw failure within 2 hours of flight time. I have re-installed all of my grommets with the large end up as they were designed to be installed. The manual and the whole idea of tilting the motors is an after thought. I flew mine for 30 minutes today without the tilt and it flies as it should with plenty of yaw authority. I believe this is yet another example of a half-baked ideas that are not tested or though out before being released to the public. If an engineer wanted the motors tilted, they would have designed it into the arm.

I really like my DJI equipment and prefer DJI products when building but sometimes they do these stupid things that just makes things worse. Still waiting for them to repair the damage they did to the H3-2D gimbal with the last software release, that was a total brain fart on their part.

econfly

Whatever DJI originally did, they are now putting all of the gaskets on thick-end-up. My S1000 arrived today and all mounts are done this way, with the same hardware and mounting as is on the Evo arms. Based on that, and the fact that I have had two Evo gaskets torn with the thin side up, I am switching my Evo arms to all thick side up.