H3-2D -vs- All The Rest

TL;DR What specifically does the H3-2D offer that other gimbals do not offer in terms of features, compatibility?

Continuing on with my crash course into the world of RC [anything]. I am going to get going on FPV, but also I really would like to have the benefits of having a gimbal for filming/flying.

Of course the obvious one that you immediately come across for the Phantom is the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal. It looks like a great piece of equipment! But, the price is a bit steep compared to some other gimbals @ ~$370!

So, what is it that makes this gimbal so much more expensive? Is it worth it vs something like the Tarot T-2D?

What features or advantages does the H3-2D have over all the others?

• I realize it charges the GoPro... not really in big need of that.
  • It has a video tx(?) But, if you have a, say.. FatShark system with it's own video tx, wouldn't that be just the same/ just as good?
  • You can remotely change the pitch of the camera with the stock controller. Cool! But do other gimbals allow that also? My controller does have what appears to be the lever used for this on the underside of the controller already.

If the Zenmuse H3-2D really is worth the extra expense I would surely do it, but I am just looking for clarification that it's not basically the same thing as the other cheaper ones. Also are there going to be any other surprise updates I will need, aside from the additional purchase of the PMU?

Thanks guys, I really feel like it would just be impossible for me to be able to make an informed decision on my own with no real background. I am willing to learn. And appreciative of your adivce. Explaining like I am 5 is a plus
icon_e_smile.gif

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Generally, I believe, it is the level of stabilization that it offers. I see a lot of great footage coming from GoPros and the H3-2D. I don't have one but do have it's bigger brother the Zenmuse with GH2. The footage is just so stable and needs absolutely nothing doing to it in editing. My S800, on the other hand, is not great.

Then again, I see a lot of great footage from those £100 gimbals. Depends how good of an engineer you are I guess.

At one point the H3-2D retailed for $699! Using a few different types of gimbal setups, including the H3-2D, I would say that the stabilization performance is equivalent to some of the other brands like Tarot or the Arris from Hobbywing.

For the H3-2D, I think you're paying for the integration into the DJI product ecosystem. If you have a Phantom, you can install the upgrade power distribution board. The board has integration with the H3-2D with a single cable for gimbal power, video output. It's also fairly convenient to update the firmware via DJI Software. Operation is very plug and play, with no adjustments needed once it's powered on.

Compared to the H3-2D, my Arris 2000 and Arris 3000 run on Alexmos control boards with Simple BGC sofware, it's very customizable. The software allows you to set limits and roll/pitch speeds. These other gimbals certainly get the job done, but just don't look as "clean" as the H3-2D. One of the big benefits of the non-DJI product is the ability to setup a spare channel on your receiver as a roll trim control. I only use these devices semi-professionally, but to me one of the most distracting elements of all these aerial videos is a very sloppy horizon. Having the ability to adjust roll trim is great. My big gripe with using Alexmos and SimpleBCG is the firmware and software update process. Software is very specific to the firmware version and one has to be very careful about backing up gimbal configuration before attempting updates.

Hi, just read posts on forums regarding the stuffing around that people have to do to try and get a reasonable Horizon with any of the none DJI gimbals. As hurricane56 mentioned above he has to use ""setup a spare channel on your receiver as a roll trim control"" to try and acheive a level horizon.
And then there is the cable clutter with all the other none DJI gimbals, not to mention the problems people have with the PMU and again the cabling (messy and untidy).
If you can afford the H3-2D do not waste your time with others, unless you like tinkering and being anoid.
Just my opinion
regards - bruce

Cable clutter is is a good reason that an after market gimbal might not be preferred on a small multi like a Phantom. I'm running a 3-axis on my f550 with all custom length cables and servo connects which makes things a lot cleaner.

Thank you all for your responses. I had never even heard of a gimbal before 2 weeks ago lol. So you're responses are very much appreciated!

Seems to me from what you are all saying is that the H3-2D is very dependable and compatible with the Phantom- more so than other options. And I don't want to have to get into some really confusing install either using "work-around" methods because it is not as compatible with the Phantom.

If I understand this right, with the H3-2D I would also need to either (1) purchase the separate PMU, or (2) purchase the upgrade board, correct? It seems they are both about the same price ($70). I suppose if I am understanding this right that would be a no brainer, why try to cram two additional modules into the shell.

Do I have this right?

Thank you all for your responses. I had never even heard of a gimbal before 2 weeks ago lol. So you're responses are very much appreciated!

Seems to me from what you are all saying is that the H3-2D is very dependable and compatible with the Phantom- more so than other options. And I don't want to have to get into some really confusing install either using "work-around" methods because it is not as compatible with the Phantom.

If I understand this right, with the H3-2D I would also need to either (1) purchase the separate PMU, or (2) purchase the upgrade board, correct? It seems they are both about the same price ($70). I suppose if I am understanding this right that would be a no brainer, why try to cram two additional modules into the shell.

Do I have this right?

Yup, if this is your first stabilizer gimbal, H3-2D will work well with the Phantom. In order to upgrade you can:

a. Buy the updated power distribution board which will require you to do some soldering.
b. Buy the PMUv2 module and connect the gimbal control via CAN-Bus. With this route, you'll be adding two additional modules to the inside of the phantom, it can be done, but might get cramped if you're running a aftermarket receiver.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi guys,

If you order the H3-2D and V2 IMU does either include the cables you need to make the connections? I see some shops sell a cables kit.

Thanks,
Bart

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have a Tarot 2D gimbal and it is every bit as good as the H3-2D.

Never tweaked it at all and it’s spot on.
$149.. can’t beat it AND you don;t need to fly a Naza.

maxwelltub

My biggest issue with the gopro zenmuse is the lack of pan axis. Other then that I love the way it works. But like I said no pan axis will only get you so far.

stanleyy

The TAROT 2D us 95 % at least as good as the DJI. I own both.
If your going to sell the footage , then get the DJI and also get one of these :

http://tppacks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=60

If your not going to sell the footage, get the Tarot, its incredible for the price.

Balance motors and props though , Always

I don't share your opinion. Many Tarot units (controllers?) have major issues with vibrations even on the ground. Which makes the whole footage quite often unusable. My Tarot is doing the same - vibrating/shaking even on the ground, no matter what configuration I am using. I have lowered the motor gains to absolute minimum - didn't help at all.
After 2 weeks of frustration and wasted time with Tarot I bought Zenmuse. And I must say... it is the best thing I bought last year. I finally have a working setup! There is no jello, horizon is not drifting, there are no shakes in the video. Awesome!

This is a video from the first flight I made after I bolted Zenmuse with 2 screws to my QAV400:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqSpRLlAIGc

I should have bought this half a year ago.. and not waste my time with Discovery Pro, Tarot, Feyiutech G3 and other crap.