Embarrassing Basic ? Power Off In Case Heads toward People

If for any particular reason the Phantom winds up headed toward people my thought is to power the quadcopter off so that hopefully it will not hit anyone with much velocity, and definitely not having the rotors turning. Is there anyway to do this with the transmitter? The only way I know to turn it off (rotors) is after landing- holding throttle down.

Yes, never fly near groups of people and stay in an open area. I wouldn't, but just for worst case scenario...

Seems like there should be some way to do this, for various reasons, but somehow it is escaping me.

Thanks for your help!

Tomstoy2

Been there myself, once. Back in the early firmware upgrades for WKM I had to kill the throttle and let my craft drop like a rock from the sky when a prop came loose and I had no directional control as my Hexa drifted toward some houses.
The big thing to remember is to add in the drift ratio of forward momentum. I ended up crashing just feet from their property.

Turning off the radio should induce failsafe, but I myself would never turn off my radio.

As with anything that fly's once total control is lost you are screwed. That is why discretion of flying sites is paramount.

To develop total trust in your rig is a long process, however, probably the best advise I can offer is to never trust your rig. Once you trust it that is when it will bite you.

Thanks for replying man!

So how can I kill the throttle on the DJI Phantom if it were necessary? Or are you saying that is not a function in the Phantom?

Tomstoy2

You can at any time initiate throttle shut down by inputting the same sequence with the sticks that you use to start the motors. However, if you have radio control to do that then you should have control over the other functions.
Under NO circumstance would I ever turn off my radio.
As my old flight instructor taught me, in the event a crash is imminent it is best to fly as far into the crash as possible.

No, I would not want to just cut it off and turn it into a brick. I had a the wrong understanding of the "flyaway" situation that the Phantom seems to be known for. Now I understand the quadcopter and receiver are not communicating in that scenario and therefore you would not be able to cut it off anyway, just hope for the best. Still though, something just tells me you should be able to turn it off if you felt like you had to.

Good info about inputting the sequence to star it- to also power down. But on the Phantom you just put both sticks down and it turns on. But in the manual there is a longer start sequence, maybe that would work.

Thanks for the help man!