Plug-in HDMI converters, PAL/NTSC question

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi guys,

There is a new HDMI converter available that plugs into the camera directly and rides along on the camera without the need for an HDMI cable. RCShutter is selling them and has some helpful info on the website but I'm confused as to what is required to make it work.

It appears it should work with a PAL or NTSC camera provided you have a PAL monitor but I'm wondering if the camera also have to be PAL.

Has anyone received one of these and been able to make it work? I'm not getting anything from mine and I've tried my NTSC camera with both NTSC goggles and a PAL/NTSC monitor.

Thanks,
Bart

photobobga

Hi Bart,

I received one of these a few months ago. It was designed for the Sony NEX 5 camera.. right? I was unable to get any signal out of mine as well. The manufacture reminded me to use 1080I for the power, still nothing. Sent it back.

Bartman

thanks for the reply, there are directions online saying to

Select Auto for the HDMI output option within the camera
Plug in the board before powering the camera

I tried this stuff and didn't get an output. Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:

janoots2

The retailer you posted specified it is for PAL only nex5n's. Many retailers are not specifying and in my opinion ripping people off.

wm1

The retailer you posted specified it is for PAL only nex5n's. Many retailers are not specifying and in my opinion ripping people off.

I get the feeling that all these units are PAL which is fine for me being in Europe.

janoots2

You should be good if the little sticker on the bottom of your nex says 50i. Yes, it does eat your camera battery a little more, but the upside is it's less load on your flight batteries and one less wire interfering with your gimbal.

This is mine:
vuda2ebu.jpg

wm1

Yes, mine has 50i on the sticker. A little extra battery drain is fine, I can live with that, just didn't want to hear it reduces the time by half.

Bartman

what's the going rate on an NEX 5N in Europe? anyone want to send 10 or 15 of them to the States?

wm1

what's the going rate on an NEX 5N in Europe? anyone want to send 10 or 15 of them to the States?

The 5N has been superceded by the 5R and the 5R very recently by the 5T. 5R's are still available new at about £360 (Body only).

Bartman

i keep meaning to check to see if any of my software will or will not work if the camera is PAL instead of NTSC......photoshop, premier, DXO.......i've gotta check into it....it would be easy to just buy a PAL camera now that I've got the PAL converter

but what to buy, if I'm going to buy something new then should it be the GH3 or NEX 5(whatever they're up to)? it would be for stills and some lower grade video projects.

bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Buying a pal cam just to use that hdmi converter sounds crazy to me. Why would you want to have 1 camera with a different format than all your others? I've never tried it but how does playing 25 fps work on 60 hz TVs? And you would need to conform your 25/50 fps to 24/30 which is an additional piece of software and workflow. Right?

Bartman

i don't know yuri, i'm not a video-master so i just have to guess sometimes and ask questions.....so it isn't just the camera, it's the whole system from capture to display and trying to shoe-horn one odd component into the system will screw everything else up?

there's so much freakin' stuff to know! maybe we should all do a group primal scream every sunday at 0000UTC time just to get the frustration out!

Bartman

they seem to be working on an NTSC version of this converter...we'll see what happens.

wm1

GotHeliRC sells them and they say they have tested on their cams and it works. I guess they would not have PAL cams.