My first post.. Its Official... HELLO FROM KOREA!

coreyperez

Hello fellow enthusiasts,
A little about myself. I’m a US Service member (currently stationed in Korea). From Michigan, family is currently remaining in Alaska (To which I hope to return after Korea). I’ve just hit the 17year mark TFAS (Total Federal Active Service). I started out as a Fire Fighter when I joined the Air Force in 96, Did that for 6 years. I became a DBM (Database Manager) after a duty related injury took me out of the Fire business. I then started becoming interested in 1:1 scale and ended up with the sticks of a Schweitzer 300C in my hands. Fast forward about 8 years. I’m now in the Army (in Korea), still on the 1:1 kick, now handling the UH60 Black Hawk and looking forward to getting back to the family in the next year or two.

Well now I’m not exactly “New” to RC, I’d consider myself old(er) to RC, re-found fan of RC Aviation. After many numerous failed attempts to fly a Blade CP, I figured I was doomed and should just stay away from RC Aviation. I’ve opted to take on the Multi-rotor aspect (how hard could it be, really??). I’m giving up on the Surface RC (Brand new XR10 and hop-up’s and electronics to sell) in hopes to doing something with this Multi idea.

I’ve spent a large amount of time behind the scenes researching, reviewing and comparing different frames, Flight controllers (computers), radios, motors, props, batteries, chargers… You know the deal. I figured I’d not open with the “Hi, it looks cool, what should I get” question that seems to pop up these days. (I’m old school, before computers were cool and we had to “work” for it). That in mind, this entire scene is REALLY huge. I’m mostly daunted/upset about the level of information that retailers/manufactures DON’T give about their products. With that in mind, I’ve been following numerous other posts that people just expect the answer to be handed to them and expect everything to be 100% perfect, all the time. Realistically, I know better than to expect that.

So, onto my hopes, dreams and smashing my bank account to pieces (while hopefully keeping the Hex in 1 piece).
I’ve opted to try and be systematic about this. I’ll give you my opinions about the components I’m leaning towards and why. Please feel free to tear apart my build and re-direct me. (BTW, I’ve been following along with the Group Build)

Intent:
Build a Multi-rotor (MR) that can survive an “oops” and shake it off with little to no associate repair costs. A MR that has user-replaceable components for upgrades, failures, accidents or catastrophic failures. A MR that can be built upon/grown with vs. grown out of (Phantom), and resilient enough to not be a catastrophic loss with a single mishap (Blade CP) First Person View (FPV)/Aerial photography ability (x3 axis gimbal) with the ability to grow towards a DSLR, or a NEX 5,6,7 (at a minimum). The last goal is geared towards growing beyond the Hex and into Oct’s.

DJI F550 (The actual DJI F550, not the knock-offs).
I’m leaning towards “Hex” just because of the redundancy. Flying a 1:1 scale, multi-engine with x3 redundant hydraulic systems, I fully believe in redundancy. The idea of having some control in the event of a catastrophic motor/prop or ESC failure is exactly what I’m looking for. It appears as though the Hex is the lowest level frame design that can maintain that.

The F550 has a significant amount of support and options available to it. I had considered a Tarot version but was concerned with the amount of vibration these MR’s probably produce (based on video’s I’ve seen). My concern is the F550 has absolutely fixed motor mounts (and upgradeable arms (alum) and longer versions available (to provide for longer blades, bigger motors, more lift, etc)). Where as the Tarot version the motors could turn on the arms (I can understand the import aspect of the mounts being exactly 90deg. Catastrophically, if something does happen, I’d hope to be able to downsize to a Team Black Sheep (TBS) frame and the remaining arms, and associated electronics. (forward thinking there huh!)

FC, GPS, Etc:
I’m REALLY wanting to go with XAircraft SuperX. A couple reasons. I’m really impressed with some of the feedback I’ve read about there being a problem with a previous firmware. When identified the Co jumped on it and resolved it. The idea of a “black box”. (This goes back to redundancy). If…. WHEN something goes wrong, I’d like to just plug up the PC and find out WHAT it was. Not keep throwing parts at it to try and un-screw it (Blade CP Experience). I’m not really sold that either the DJI Naza-M V2 is better/worse than the SuperX. I’m mostly sold on the recordablity (is that a word??) to do a self-determination of what went wrong. Realistically, how many people here would ball-up a 1500$ piece of equipment, pull the electronics and put it on another machine and “hope for the best”? I like the idea of sitting at a desk and troubleshooting vs. throwing money around.

If the SuperX doesn’t work out, the Naza is my current (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) direction. Either way, I like that both of the manufactures provide a way to do a gimbal power/control.

Motors, ESC:
I haven’t found anywhere that says that the motors/ESC’s that come with the Flame wheel kits aren’t worth the cost, I just see that people change them. I’m mostly concerned with putting the anticipated weight I’m planning on flying with the included pieces vs. ??upgrading?? right out of the box (buying the frame alone vs. kit and ordering different motors, etc). That being said, the DJI 30A ESCs, are they worth keeping/buying? I’ve seen where people were using inexpensive ESC’s and flashing them with non OEM firmware and having great success. This is still a section of my build I haven’t fully researched yet.

Gimbal:
$$$ HOLY DOLLAR-BILLs BATMAN!!! $$$ Now I understand…. If you want to play with the BIG BOYS, you have to take the hits the big boys give… I’m only using a GoPro Hero 1 (Yes… Hero 1!) but I’ve also got x2 Contour Roam cameras that I’d like to use. I don’t think the ZenMuse H3-2D will/would support the Contour or even the older Hero1 camera. (I was reading somebody was having problems with the Gimbal operating properly when the Hero3 had a lens attached. I haven’t been able to find out the weight difference yet between the Hero and the Roam camera). So, while on the subject of the gimbal: I’ve got x3 perfectly capable cameras but not the gimbal that the camera requires. So, $350ish for the Gimbal, an additional $300ish for the correct camera AND in the future still have to buy the Larger gimbal, or just get a larger gimbal that will support the Sony NEX(generation) of cameras, but adds weight and expense to the entire deal (as in $2500ish for the NEX version of the gimbals).

Lastly, Radios, Batteries & Chargers:
Lots of talk about 7,8 & 9 channels radios. What do we need all the channels for? (as far as expanding). I understand the basic flight control, GPS/ATT(itude) hold, etc. Do the additional channels act as gimbal controls, re-treacts (retractable landing gears), and such?

The entire battery thing I know goes back to the motors/ESC, props, total weight and the attached electronics (FPV, Gimbal, lights, etc). This entire thing gets me all sorts of confused. I know someday I’ll go big (provided I don’t ball this entire thing up too many times). I’m leaning towards a charger that will support a larger set of batteries (different charging methods simultaneously) and balance them as well…

Ok, Hopefully I’ve displayed that I’ve done a LITTLE homework. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read through all of this and hope you may have a few pointers. I'll continue to review the "Packages" that retailers are putting together and comparing the parts/pieces to try and find the most bang for my buck.

Thanks again and happy flying!

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Hi Corey,

Day late and a dollar short.....LOL....

Good to see ya here! Don't be a stranger!

Mike :)

PS you army Helo guys are a pain in the ***!......LOL....just kidding!

jbrumberg

Welcome again Corey. And again thanks for your service. "..... After many numerous failed attempts to fly a Blade CP." You mean to tell me can't fly a little tiny RC CP, but you can a fly a well armed and equipt UH60? Is it the flight uniform? :rolleyes: I cannot fly one (a CP or a UH60) either. My CP experience, after a lot of FP experience, was expensively and awesomely short :hororr:. The only good that came out of my brief CP exposure is that it directed me to quadcopters. Someday maybe:black_eyed:

Keep us posted.

Stay safe and in the air out there. My positive thoughts for you and all your comrades everywhere.
Jay :)

jbrumberg

Not many people know of this little hilltown. We have no neighbors near us, no street lights, not much evidence of humanoid activity most of the time, not much of anything but woods. It's a nice place if one likes isolation. I do have 5 acres of open airspace (surrounded by heavy dense forest (2 RC aircraft MIA:mask:). I suspect if one of my RC aircraft did violate my neighbors' visual airspace they would initiate air defensive measures. That would be about .25 miles direct flight path (shortest) in most directions .5 mile. A shotgun is a very good quad retrieval instrument. I have had success using my 12 gauge. It was legal where I used it on my property. A benefit of living where we live.

Corey would not worry flying his UH60 over my neighbors. We are all law abiding citizen types around here. He might upset a few cows and pigs though.

jbrumberg

Yes I did. I am not the first. I will not be the last. Everyone has their own personal SAR and SOP. I did this retrieval with 12 gauge deer slugs: Shot #1) Removed everything off the tree trunk above the tree-snared quadcopter. The tree recoil did not throw the quad out of the tree.
smiley35.gif
Shot #2) Remove everything off the tree trunk below the quad off the tree- this dissection worked
biggrin.gif
The trunk segment containing the branch holding my quad came floating down nice and sweet. No damages or injuries sustained by all parties
cool.gif
. New battery kept on flying.
smile.gif
. That tree is about 7' shorter than its peers. The rest are about 60-65'. There is a lot of kinetic energy in one of those 12G deer slugs. Corey would think that was chicken poo.

coreyperez

Hey Mike!

Sorry, I've seen that you had posted but was tied up with a ride with an IP. I'm getting to a new unit and you know how that goes. So, just a lot of book time this past week. I got a new MR up and flying! I got a LadyBird in the Mail. FUN!

Corey

coreyperez

Jim,

Funny you should send that. I forwarded that to my wife a bit ago. She didn't find the humor in it as I did, but she doesn't like anything cool! Oh well, girls are girls! Thanks for sharing tho!

Corey

jbrumberg

I am under the impression that helicopter pilot was a former marine pilot. His language is reflective of his training.:highly_amused:

"she doesn't like anything cool! Oh well, girls are girls!" There really are gender differences as it relates to what each gender considers "cool". It's in the basic wiring. There were some really interesting, and technically "sound" infant studies in the 1960's that really showed real differences starting at around 3 months in age. I tell wifey all the time- "You are not wired to appreciate this." Her response- "Don't give me that psychological BS". It would appear that I sadly am correct.

A cautionary note to those with not thoroughly, positively RC impressed female spouses: Statements like
"You are not wired to appreciate this," and/or statement similar in nature appear to be inflammatory to the female population. There is no research at this point to substantiate this observation; only anecdotal evidence.

Corey- enjoy your Little Lady.

coreyperez

Jim,

Sorry, I just noticed there was 2 pages of replies on my introduction!

Just curious, 700's or the 01's?

There is a good chance that I may contact you at some point regarding the 550. What radio equipment are you using?

A question regarding your photos on Google+. Your miniature photo, was that a photoshop technique or a camera feature? I'm looking at getting an Adobe suite (Wife is a student, saves me about 1500$) but I have a friend who has a Nikon and he said his camera has that capability built in.

As far as low-level flight, all my fun was in Alaska! (Youtube: "coreperez13")

Well, the Lady Bird's battery is charged up. Back to "Flight School"!

Corey

coreyperez

Actually 10 years AD in the Air Force + 18mo AF reserves/ GS-9 and 5+ army. I'm at over 17years total now!

Corey

I am under the impression that helicopter pilot was a former marine pilot. His language is reflective of his training.:highly_amused:

"she doesn't like anything cool! Oh well, girls are girls!" There really are gender differences as it relates to what each gender considers "cool". It's in the basic wiring. There were some really interesting, and technically "sound" infant studies in the 1960's that really showed real differences starting at around 3 months in age. I tell wifey all the time- "You are not wired to appreciate this." Her response- "Don't give me that psychological BS". It would appear that I sadly am correct.

A cautionary note to those with not thoroughly, positively RC impressed female spouses: Statements like
"You are not wired to appreciate this," and/or statement similar in nature appear to be inflammatory to the female population. There is no research at this point to substantiate this observation; only anecdotal evidence.

Corey- enjoy your Little Lady.

coreyperez

UGH!!!!!!! I'm in SO much trouble....

Ok, ok...

One step at a time… I know, I know…
I just got bit by a new bug… I had always planned on getting another quad or two, but was totally figuring towards full on Aerial but recently been swayed towards going back to a Team Blacksheep… I ended up looking towards the Honey Badger. That and a KK V2.1 and/or Multi-wii. Well I couldn’t figure it out.
While looking through Hobby King’s site this evening I put together a cart full of spare parts I would need for another build (based off numerous other lists of “cheap builds”, including x4 motors, some of the Afro 30a Simon K flashed speed controllers, the two previously mentioned FCs (couldn’t decide)… Ultimately, I’ve got all the stuff to build another quad excluding the frame.
Honey badger… HERE I COME!!!!!!!!

coreyperez

PPPPffffffffffftttttttttttt! I told my wife I was going to run out and get some Korean food… I don’t think she notices I’m missing yet. I’m not going to tell her about THIS!!!!
Jay, you so C R A Z Y!!!!!!!!!!