Zenmuse h3-2d dead?

titous

Hey everyone! I was hoping someone with experience on the h3-2d gimbal could give me some pointers.

I installed the gimbal along with the the replacement center board, I have everything hooked up correctly and had the gimbal working on several occasions. Well, between test flights as well as trying to get the wireless video feed working, the gimbal stopped responding. Currently, when I turn the gopro on, and then power the phantom, the copter does it's thing but the gimbal is completely unresponsive. Digging through the gimbal manual, I eventually read that the gimbal shouldn't be turned on without the gopro powered up (something which I've done several times, at first without any damaging effects). I've also read that the thing has a hibernation mode which it enters when it's unhappy.

So my question to you all, is the gimbal broken or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers!

Tahoe Ed

I am afraid you may have killed it. If it is not initializing you have some serious problems. I don't know where you purchased it from, but I would contact your dealer and see if they can contact DJI and arrange for service of your H3-2D.

titous

I am afraid you may have killed it. If it is not initializing you have some serious problems. I don't know where you purchased it from, but I would contact your dealer and see if they can contact DJI and arrange for service of your H3-2D.

I was afraid of this, hopefully B&H can help me out!

SamaraMedia

I too am having trouble with my brand new Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal. After installing on my DIY quad I updated all the firmware and everything seemed ok. Turn on the tx, turn on the GoPro, plug in the flight battery, which powers both the MC and GCU (4s lipo), and the tilt motor shakes violently, then goes into a sleep mode where I can freely move the tilt axis then when it re-initializes it goes back to shaking. The tilt motor is hot to the touch, roll motor is cold with no vibration problems.

Very frustrated at this point, swapped this gimbal in for a Tarot 2D that i just couldn't seem to get dialed in, worked ok but got a good combo deal on the Zenmuse with NAZA M V2. Seems all these plug and play setups are not so plug and play. DJI's support video for installation sucks! Figuring out how to mount the gimbal is nothing compared to seeing how the gimbal reacts once it is powered up. Gimbal initialization? What is that exactly? Never see anything about that in the instructions other than it is supposed to do that, what is it? Does it spin? Rotate up and down? How long does it take to complete the initializing? Searching YouTube and Vimeo for an in depth review or install of a DJI product it always seems to leave out a few "minor" details. There are a few independent reviewers/builders that do a pretty good job of explaining things in a easy to follow approach that does help but the time spent searching is mind numbing.

Every time I think I'm making headway I run into another brick wall. I may not be the brightest bulb in the socket but I do have a mechanical and electronics background and build my own quads and hexa's from the ground up.

And to think I was stupid enough to buy into the Pre-Order of the Phantom 2/Zenmuse combo for its plug and play simplicity.

Here's a short video of the issue I'm experiencing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8jBz3HMDKc&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for letting me rant, it's late and I'm fed up...

John

AEA737

I too am having trouble with my brand new Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal. After installing on my DIY quad I updated all the firmware and everything seemed ok. Turn on the tx, turn on the GoPro, plug in the flight battery, which powers both the MC and GCU (4s lipo), and the tilt motor shakes violently, then goes into a sleep mode where I can freely move the tilt axis then when it re-initializes it goes back to shaking. The tilt motor is hot to the touch, roll motor is cold with no vibration problems.

Very frustrated at this point, swapped this gimbal in for a Tarot 2D that i just couldn't seem to get dialed in, worked ok but got a good combo deal on the Zenmuse with NAZA M V2. Seems all these plug and play setups are not so plug and play. DJI's support video for installation sucks! Figuring out how to mount the gimbal is nothing compared to seeing how the gimbal reacts once it is powered up. Gimbal initialization? What is that exactly? Never see anything about that in the instructions other than it is supposed to do that, what is it? Does it spin? Rotate up and down? How long does it take to complete the initializing? Searching YouTube and Vimeo for an in depth review or install of a DJI product it always seems to leave out a few "minor" details. There are a few independent reviewers/builders that do a pretty good job of explaining things in a easy to follow approach that does help but the time spent searching is mind numbing.

Every time I think I'm making headway I run into another brick wall. I may not be the brightest bulb in the socket but I do have a mechanical and electronics background and build my own quads and hexa's from the ground up.

And to think I was stupid enough to buy into the Pre-Order of the Phantom 2/Zenmuse combo for its plug and play simplicity.

Here's a short video of the issue I'm experiencing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8jBz3HMDKc&feature=youtu.be

John

Hi John.

Have you reduced the endpoints of your tilt control channel? I was having that kind of problem and I found a thread about this. Try reducing the endpoints of the channel you have assigned to tilt control on your radio.

Javier

SamaraMedia

Javier,

I tried reducing the endpoints as you suggested but I'm still getting some strange issues with my Zenmuse. Have been experiencing some issues with the gimbal, getting vibration on tilt axis upon power up. Seems to clear up once I touch it to turn on recording and in flight, at least on this test, previous flight the gimbal started vibration mid-flight and then cleared up when I rotated the camera straight down and then back to horizontal. Also have had some funky things happen when powering up, after powering the camera then connecting the flight battery it shut off the camera and turned on the Bluetooth on the GoPro. On this video clip I was trying to re-create the power on issue, it looks as though the GoPro didn't get powered up from the Zenmuse until after I turned on the record button, then both the power and record red lights are blinking. I have tried not turning on the camera first and the Zenmuse seemed to provide power to the camera once flight battery was connected. It still gave me the tilt axis vibration to start with though, more testing will be needed.

https://vimeo.com/82547564

John

DaWrangler

Here's a short video of the issue I'm experiencing.

John
I am having the exact same problem now with my gimbal. Ever figure out what was wrong??

Tahoe Ed

ThatHPIGuy may have solution. He shows how to reset the gimbal.

Make sure that this is a last resort. Some users have bricked their H3 trying to do the reset. If the reloading of the firmware does not work, keep trying. It has taken many attempts on the part of some users.

SamaraMedia

So I've moved onto the H3-3D and having trouble getting the tilt control to work in a slow motion. It seems like there is no way to control the tilt speed. I've read numerous threads with inconclusive results. Some say they needed to program their radios which to me seems like an aweful lot of work when the DJI assistant software should be able to provide that capability. Any way, here are couple screenshots of my situation. All software and firmware are up to date, any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or if this is a common problem with the tilt function is appreciated.

When I launch the Zenmuse gimbal control assistant I get the full gamut of control features (photo Zen 01) but once I plug it into the Zenmuse via USB I get just a two boxed screen with "Tilt" and "Function" but the function has no adjustment ability. Frustrating to no have the ability to slowly pan down on the tilt axis.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• Naza-M.jpg
    Naza-M.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 228
  • Zen 01.jpg
    Zen 01.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Zen 02.jpg
    Zen 02.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 231