Deciding on new build, 450, 550 or?

apsphoto

Hi all,

I am trying to decide on a new build for a multirotor. I currently have a brand new NAZA V2 with Zenmuse gimbal, bought with the special pricing, I also have a Futaba 14ch radio. What I am looking to do is some aerial photography and experiment with some movie making and some stills. I also have a gopro3 black. Maybe at some point way down the road I might upgrade to better system at which time I can either upgrade the multirotor or start with a fresh build. I have previous rc experience including gas helicopters, planes, sailplanes etc.

I have been looking at a DJI 450 or 550 build or maybe a TBS Discovery or something along that line. What I am looking for is something relatively stable to do filming, something I can not get too much of the props or the gear in the image. And I am looking for at least a 10-15 minute flight time.

The 450 seems like it may have flight time issues and then there is the tradeoff of payload while a 550 could lift more but is heavier and would probably be in the same flight time... but is the extra motors and props worth it? Is it more reliable? How likely will I see prop or motor loss? In other words is the redundancy of the extra motors and props worth it for the larger size? What about field of view issues. It looks like some landing grear like the Aeroxcraft can help to get the gimble out and be counterbalanced by batteries? I will at some point add FPV just to get the onscreen info and to help frame shots.

Maybe I am nattering too closely, but I would like to get a decent start with this project from the start rather than get something, replace it, get something, replace it. Also I would start the build carefully, get an operating platform before adding complexity like the gimbal etc.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any discussion and advice.

Alan

nabbs1

I would say if you are doing a lot of photography I would go for the more stable 550 or any 6 rotor kit. I have the 450 and wished I just got the 550 instead.. and may buy one still for same reasons.

Based on personal experience attempting to do the same thing.....
Personally if you really want to go down that path you might want to consider the F550. At least that gives you some options for future changes such as the following: http://www.rctimer.com/product_809.html
Sooner or later you will need to extend the motor arms and upsize motor torque and prop diameter. All because of the ever increasing AUW. Work closely with eCalc for multirotors.View attachment 14873

Attachments

• Big.jpg
    Big.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 236