GPS Hold

Hi, Is it normal for NAZA Lite to take 30-60 seconds to become completely stable hold when hovering? Just started using my NAZA lite today and everything is working great.. My only concern is after plugging in the battery, making sure I get the green light after letting the unit get a GPS lock I take off and I have to let the Hex just hover for almost a minute while it drifts around in a big circle but then it completely stabilizes and works fine. Is this normal?? Other than that it is perfect. Low voltage alarm and landing is working great. Return to Home on failsafe worked flawless. Might need to continue to tweak Gains until I find what I like the best but it is totally flyable now. And I kind of like Course Lock it is really cool and takes zero thought to fly.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
GPS is only accurate to within 2m horizontally by default so a little drift can be normal. There was mild solar activity yesterday also which probably didn't help. Have you calibrated your GPS? And offset for magnetic declination?

GPS is only accurate to within 2m horizontally by default so a little drift can be normal. There was mild solar activity yesterday also which probably didn't help. Have you calibrated your GPS? And offset for magnetic declination?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have calibrated everything several times to be sure. Magnetic Declination I have not offset the GPS since the circle drift goes away after 30-60 seconds of hovering. Then the GPS holds perfectly. After that first minute it does not move. :tennis:
Yesterday after several flights I did have some strange motor surges and the Hex would surge up about 10 feet. Do you know anything about what causes that? I have read that sunlight changes can cause that and to try to cover up the left side of the naza with black tape??? The surges only happened at the end of day during sunset when I would fly out of the shadows.

For instructions on adjusting the GPS puck for magnetic declination, see page 37 of the Naza Lite manual (available for download on DJI's web site)

In answer to your question, however: Yes, it does appear to be normal for the Naza Lite to take 30-60 seconds of flight before the GPS holds effectively. Even though the Naza Lite has the same hardware as the Naza-M V1, the firmware is locked to an older and somewhat buggy version...The GPS on the Lite appears works better once it the flight controller has 'warmed up'. If you'd rather not fly during those 30-60 seconds, what you could do is leave the craft powered up on the ground for several minutes before beginning to fly.

For instructions on adjusting the GPS puck for magnetic declination, see page 37 of the Naza Lite manual (available for download on DJI's web site)

In answer to your question, however: Yes, it does appear to be normal for the Naza Lite to take 30-60 seconds of flight before the GPS holds effectively. Even though the Naza Lite has the same hardware as the Naza-M V1, the firmware is locked to an older and somewhat buggy version...The GPS on the Lite appears works better once it the flight controller has 'warmed up'. If you'd rather not fly during those 30-60 seconds, what you could do is leave the craft powered up on the ground for several minutes before beginning to fly.

Thank you for the answer.

And I guess you are also saying if I want perfection performance than I should upgrade to a better flight control system. I am still very pleased with the performance of the NAZA lite. My other flying experience has been with KK2. KK2 is a nice easy beginner flight control also, but the only problem is not enough features. I learned to fly multirotor on a Multiwii and immediately changed to KK2 which was so much easier to understand and it got me alot of flight time. Then after getting a NAZA lite it was almost too easy to fly. Now I want to go FPV since it the copter practically flys itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm obviously willing to live with the Lite's quirks...I keep a Lite on my DJI F450 FPV quad. Once you get used to the Lite's peculiarities, it can be a blast to fly. :)