Hoverfly XHex issues

octocine

I have a HoverflyPro black board with the latest firmware that has I've flown successfully as +octo and as an X, but I've been unable to get it to work as an asymetrical X hex. I've diligently followed the manual and I am confident that the props are all oriented and spinning correctly, all calibrations done, etc. When I suspend it for a pre-flight test, for some reason the props in the one o'clock and seven o'clock positions spin much slower. It would surely flip if I tried to launch it normally.

My X runs with a gain setting of 42 and I run the +octo at 68. I've tried gain settings from 25 to 75 with the suspension tests and wobbles violently with all settings

Any suggestions?

Has anyone successfully flown a hex x with Hoverfly?

thanks!

Stacky

I have found in the past that the HFP doesnt quite do things as expected if using pre flight rigs etc. The guys at HF did mention this to me a couple of years ago when I was testing everything before a first flight. If you have calibrated the throttle on the esc's, done the radio throttle calibration in the setup software and all props and motors are spinning the right way and you get the correct coloured light on the HFP you should be fine to try a test flight. Try with AL on when lifting off.

I have been using the x Hexa with my HFP for about 18 months now, its a decent size at 750mm. I have also run 2 smaller Hexa's with the HFP. I have never had any trouble. My AUW is just under 4kg and its gain is set at about 35 or 40.
Could you show us a video of what its doing in this rig?

octocine

Thanks Stacky. I'm in a remote area in Alaska without enough bandwidth for video download. I'm in this position because of a crash that broke two booms on my Cinestar 8. I converted it to an X and it just barely lifts a GH2 and has some vibration issues. I'd like to run it as a hex for more power because I have six good booms, but can't figure out why the exact same setup, same escs will fly well as a +octo or an X but not as a hex X. I would try to run it as a + hex, but that's not an option with the CS8 frame.

Stacky

thats a bugger.
My experience with trying to test the HFP in a multi in any sort of rig is that it will basically fight any restrictions it feels.
Did you test the Octo in the manner you are trying at present?

Do you have anywhere that has plenty of scrub and bush that you could get airborne around?. I have a favourite area near me that I use to test new machines because if the multi comes down it lands in soft bush and scrub. Never really had to make much use of it to be honest.

the HFP doesnt like vibration but can cope with some. They used to have a "flight quality" indicator on the built in OSD which i believe basically just told you how much vibration there was. Its no longer part of the OSD when they simplified the OSD etc.

Also the one time I had a major problem with my HFP it came down to poor thrust to weight ratios, the HFP does prefer to be able to fly with the hover closer to 50% although only last month I tested a quad i had built and it was horribly underpowered but it took off and flew happily at 70% throttle to hover.

If everything seems to be doing what it should in the setup software, the esc's calibration etc and the props are on the right way round and the motors spin correctly then the best thing is to take off any unneccesary weight and give it a test outside.

Double check for that one last time that you have the correct motors connected to the correct port. I have checked these things a half dozen times, been absolutely sure they were right and then would find on that 7th check that I had a motor in the wrong port or similar. A couple of weeks ago I had a motor spinning the wrong way on a Y6 and the prop was on the correct way so I didnt spot the mistake right away.

Good luck!