Zero UAV Is the Zero UAV a good product?

AUsome

I know this is the Zero UAV forum, so perhaps this isn't the best place to ask this, but I will anyway. I am NOT trying to bash this product, but I was strongly leaning toward one of this company's boards but was having trouble finding a source to buy from...so, I found a way to contact a person who used to sell this to find out why the zerouav.net site was no longer functioning (this should be updated in the first post to zerouav.com). Anyway, while I did find the current Zero UAV site, this person responded with this statement in response to why he was no longer selling this product:

Here was his statement:

"Not reliable. tons of crashes and out of control incidents. not a mature product."

So, I want to give this forum a chance to respond. I was initially leaning toward the YS-X6-P, but then was thinking maybe the YS-X4. I am brand new to this sport, so having trouble exactly seeing what is different about these. And then, to further compound it, it appears I have to decide whether to go with the wi-fi versus navigator version...again, not sure which would be best.

So, if anyone can explain the statement about the crashes and out of control issue and it not being a mature product, or help me to decide which model to go with, I will keep the Zero UAV on my list of items to consider for buying. Thanks.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have used Naza, Wookong, Hoverfly, Xaircraft, KK2 and MultiWii and the Zero UAV systems were insane to try and configure.
I spent 2 weeks trying to find a computer that would actually work with the software, even bought a tablet to get the YS X6 system up and running and it was fruitless.
I sent the unit back and at the time bought another Hoverfly Pro.

Now, I'd recommend a SuperX over the ZeroUAV. but that is my own opinion.

mongo

lost soul
i have 2 ys x4 systems, one wifi and one navi.
i found both of them easier to set up than the naza/gps i have, or the FY 91 nav i used before.
found the gcs program easier to use/understand than the assistant from DJI.(win 7 pro on both my desktop and laptop)
my only real complaint with the zero stuff is the same as i have with the dji stuff, no ap for the winphone. i can not see buying an android or apple based POS just to have phone convenience.
all the above units work ok and did/do most all i ask of them. have never tried any others to compare to.
i do recommend not upgrading firmware on any of them, just because the mfgr releases it. wait till ya hear a LOT of other folks saying it works well.

john420

Hi guys I could not set the return home switch to work and the same as turning Tx off and the Hexacopter return back home
I turned my Hexa on ,then I placed the throttle on the mid point then turned ch6 switch to rerun home then what happened the motor stooped so if it happens in the sky then it is gonna fall down like hunted duck but when I turned off my Futaba 10c when the throttle was in the mid again nothing happened in Naza the motor get speed by itself then slowing down and stops when the copter land so can some one tell me what i did wrong I have the y6p version with the new firmware and a 10c Futaba thanks

mongo

lost soul
just a wild guess here, but,

when you did this, was the copter in the same place as you initialized it, when you activated the FS/ret home function? as in, it has to be away from home to know it has to return home. if it was still sitting where you set as home, then just shutting the motors down would be kinda expected.

john420

just a wild guess here, but,

when you did this, was the copter in the same place as you initialized it, when you activated the FS/ret home function? as in, it has to be away from home to know it has to return home. if it was still sitting where you set as home, then just shutting the motors down would be kinda expected.

Hi yes it was in the same location so it is not like DJi ?and it must be away in order to work but I scare if its away in the sky and i turn the go home then it will shut off and crash Do u use FUtaba ? how to set fail safe in futaba I use Futaba 10c with futaba Rx when i checked my tx in the menu the fail safe was pre set in throttle to 15% so is that gonna work for return home if i shut the tx off or i have do other kind o set up ? thanks

mongo

lost soul
some versions of the naza firmware did/do have the failsafe, automatically climb to 20-30 meters then return home, so you see the motors speed up as you described.
zero uav does not do this.
i fly 12z futaba
set up failsafe as manual instructs for the ys unit. then set the FS options for the tx to drive the ch5 ch6 to deliver those same results when you turn off the TX.
on my particular install, i have in tx FS on ch 5 and ch 6 set to FS(not hold) and to +100.
these numbers may or may not be the same for your install.
i think, but have not ever verified, that the throttle FS setting is immaterial to the properly set up zero uav unit.
set the flight control channels in the tx, rudder, elevator, aileron, to hold.

to test.
possibly remove the propellers.
set the copter on the ground and arm and set motors to slow speed with throttle.
move copter to a table or bench 30 ft or so away then,
turn off tx and observe the speeds of the motors.
does it appear that the ones that would move it towards the original position are speeding up/slowing down.
manually carry it to the original position and set it down.
do the motors now stop?

good luck.

john420

I tried it took it away but it just did the same the motor shut when i turned it to go home and no fail safe when turn the TX off would u be able to say how u did set ur fail safe more in detail thanks

mongo

lost soul
i followed the installation guide.
in the pc version GCS located under the settings tab/button.

i have seen the android version GCS, and it also has the install guide, but i have no android of my own, so i have not tried to use that one.

the install guide is good to use, as it will tell you what mode the unit is in. so you can do things like turn off the tx and it will tell you it is in failsafe mode, or flip switch and it will tell you attitude mode or gps mode.

make sure that the unit is not in install mode when you are trying to view mode changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

lenann

I want to give this forum a chance to respond. I was initially leaning toward the YS-X6-P, but then was thinking maybe the YS-X4. I am brand new to this sport, so having trouble exactly seeing what is different about these Rctophobby Promotions

vispaaja

I have the YS-X6 and I would say it's not worth the money.. I've tried it with small hexa and large X8

- The plastic case looks very cheap and fragile
- It came with a serial connector (seriously.. why not usb?)
- The wifi can't connect straight to mobile (this is fixed in the new version)
- Some features of the mobile app won't work (like voltage alarm setup)
- Doesn't have a real manual mode, only ATTI, ATTI with barometer and GPS
- GPS hold isn't smooth, it seems to correct very sharply
- My friend had the YS-X4, he couldn't set it up so he sold it
- Manual was in "english", was quite difficult to understand.

I would recommend the YS-X6 if it cost $100. On the other hand, if you don't need the way point function, maybe try SuperX:

- Crazy easy to setup
- Same settings and gains seem to work for different sized helis
- The metal casing quality is great
- It flies well in the wind
- GPS hold is smooth
- RTH was smooth
- No software needed on the PC, it works like an USB drive
- Nice OSD function (sold separetely)
- It's cheaper than the YS-X6! You can buy quad or hexa version for less money if you don't fly octo (can be upgraded later)

We just got these and love them, BUT we have to fly more to really know for sure (that there are no flyaways like with Naza ;)). But I've read a lot about it and so far haven't found negative comments, people have had very good luck with them.

P.S. I didn't get paid to write this ;)

xcaper

Fly away

In my case, purchased ys-x6 just before P version was released. Wifi setup easy, but android phone app would not accept changes, but installing app on tablet worked fine. Frame is a qav500, and it did require tweaking to remove a terrible "stutter" at launch. Other than that, unit flew fine for about 4 flights.
The app would control the unit just fine allowing me to pick a point and send the copter to it. However, on the fifth flight, I was in a stable hover in GPS mode and flipped the switch to atti mode.... The copter went to full power, at a what seemed like a 45 degree angle, crossed the field at high speed and drove itself into the ground.
I did have a few seconds to try and regain control, but no input affected the copters wild ride across the field.
Sent the log to support, but never even had a reply from zero uav techs......
That was 2 months ago, and the last time I ever tried to fly it. Perhaps if customer support had at least responded I would still be customer of zero uav.

Tuomas P.

Well...after 2 months of YS-X6 and X4, after buying a new laptop, 2 routers, a tablet, and heli still not flying well I gave up...the amount of problems I face with the Wookongs is small given that I fly three of them nearly daily.
TP.

fredor

I have used Naza Wookong and Zero UAV and by far this one is the most difficult to setup, you have to rely on this forum for any help you may need