Soldering Iron and Prop Balancer recommendations sought...

adanac

It's time. I need to get a good soldering iron and prop balancer. Since I need to get something else from Hobby King, it would be great if one or both came from them, although it's not strictly necessary. Thank you!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
there are only a few things to look for in the iron. Sharp point, variable control and at least 40w for handling the lipo connectors easily.

Prop balancers are gonna be the top flite magnetic or the dubro tru spin. Magnetic works well but you need to make sure the shaft and cones are true and it is VERY sensitive.

adanac

Terrific! Which soldering iron matches that description?

How do I make sure the shaft and cones are true before I buy it? And if that's not possible, how I do so after I bought it?

there are only a few things to look for in the iron. Sharp point, variable control and at least 40w for handling the lipo connectors easily.

Prop balancers are gonna be the top flite magnetic or the dubro tru spin. Magnetic works well but you need to make sure the shaft and cones are true and it is VERY sensitive.

For fine soldering work the fine point tip is required. For larger power connectors you need a bigger tip to transfer the heat asap into the solder work.
If you are young, make sure your soldering iron has a fan to draw away the fumes...... if your are old like me and/or your amalgam dental work contains lead....... too late!

Avoid the cheaper prop balancers that are magnetic.... the steel shaft can become magnetized and cause your prop to rotate to a specific position. If you try to demagnetize it by striking it, you will likely bend the shaft and that is even worse. The Dubro with bearings is a very good choice from my perspective.

this message sent from my Etch-A-Sketch using both knobs!!!!! :shame:

dma251

I bought one of these several years ago and it has seen almost constant weekly use since new. The big plus is its also a very nice heat gun for heat-shrink tubing that both temp and airflow adjustable. The soldering iron and the heatgun are precisely adjustable because there is a temp sensor that reads actual temp and displays digitally.

THey also come with spare elements and various tips. All in all, a surprisingly good value in an inexpensive tool that really makes soldering work fun and also makes your benchtop a lot more professional looking ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-TRONIC-40...995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10ef520b

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude