S800 Evo with Z15 GH3 and PX14-42

VNBN

Did the first tests with an S800 Evo with Zenmuse and GH3-Seacraft-Upgrade, just for fun at a very windy day.

Even at no wind conditions, there occurs this weird effect from time to time:

The Z15 is perfectly balanced in all directions with the GH3, invested a lot of time to make it perfect. It moves very smooth and fine. But you can see this kind of jitter, seems to be a problem with the image stabilizer of the lens which was on the default setting.
Did anybody see this effect and can give me a hint?

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

Did the first tests with an S800 Evo with Zenmuse and GH3-Seacraft-Upgrade, just for fun at a very windy day.

Even at no wind conditions, there occurs this weird effect from time to time:

The Z15 is perfectly balanced in all directions with the GH3, invested a lot of time to make it perfect. It moves very smooth and fine. But you can see this kind of jitter, seems to be a problem with the image stabilizer of the lens which was on the default setting.
Did anybody see this effect and can give me a hint?

That is quite bad, that lens does the image stabilisation inside the camera, have you tried turning it off to see what its like.
Also what other settings are you using, is your autofocus turned off.
Might also be an idea to tape the lens incase its zooming in/out slightly in the wind.

VNBN

Tried everything, activated and deactivated Power OIS, Autofocus and manual focus, still whobbling. Even in "no wind" conditions, it's whobbly, although not that severe as above. But still unusable.
Will try a diffeent lens next...

Quinton

Tried everything, activated and deactivated Power OIS, Autofocus and manual focus, still whobbling. Even in "no wind" conditions, it's whobbly, although not that severe as above. But still unusable.
Will try a diffeent lens next...

Good luck with it, just a matter of elimination/trial and error.
I would prob keep IS turned off, if its not in the lens. What is it like if you just hold the EVO by hand, it might just be too much vibrations coming through it when in the air.
I have the GH2 with 14-140 and the 25mm lens, and am holding off on a gimbal until everyone reveals their hand in the next few months hopefully the besteady or the zenmuse 5d for my mk3.
Have noticed that IS is only really good for stills, not needed so much for video, but is better for hand held.

VNBN

By hand everything is perfect, stabilzation really works well so far, impressed with it. The Evo does not seem to vibrate that much during flight, in fact it flies quite well and we also balanced it with the battery pack just to be sure.
But maybe its really the damn lens, since I experienced some weird out of focus behaviour too. Will try it again today with a fixed one.

VNBN

Well, with the 20mm fixed lens there are far less problems, nice picture. So it seems, that the 14-42 Powerzoom with the built in Image Stabilizer does not work to well.

Quinton

Well, with the 20mm fixed lens there are far less problems, nice picture. So it seems, that the 14-42 Powerzoom with the built in Image Stabilizer does not work to well.

Nice one.
Is that the F1.7 II

Really light lens too, would love to see some images/video with that, as its a nice size (not too wide)
[h=1][/h]

VNBN

Yes, the F1.7 20mm Panasonic lens works quite good, although I could not test it in that heavy wind conditions like the 14-42 above. But you need some extra weight to get it balanced in the Zenmuse, but 2x50 Cent coins is enough.

Quinton

Yes, the F1.7 20mm Panasonic lens works quite good, although I could not test it in that heavy wind conditions like the 14-42 above. But you need some extra weight to get it balanced in the Zenmuse, but 2x50 Cent coins is enough.

I know that feeling.
I have the Zemuse H3-2D and I added an ND Filter on the gopro lens, and the only way to balance it was to add a coin on velcro to the back, but it works great.
i know they say that you shouldn't but what choice do you have to try and get the shutter speed down.