MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 flip 1.5?

joe_crash

Hello everyone:
I just got a new flight control board from whitespyquad, and am not quite sure I should be asking this in this forum or not - I'm assuming that the Flip is a MultiWii board. My question for anyone out there is: It's supposed to come pre-configured with a quad x profile - are the default settings good enough to get into a hover? I would like to get other's opinions of this board, as I'm building (actually Assembling - I just bought a frame from Armattan Quads. I have two OpenPilot boards already - the CC and the CC3D. (which I complained about incessantly, saying it was hard to set up. That was BEFORE I got this board though!)

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The Flip is a Multiwii board, it should have come with the config specified when it was ordered but it's always a good idea to check, plus you should calibrate the accelerometer before you fly it even if you don't plan to use autolevel. The default settings in the Multiwii firmware should give a reasonably stable hover unless there's something unusual about the frame/motor combo that would require tweaking the settings. I find the Flip boards to be much easier to configure than the OP boards and IMO fly just as well if not better, I think I've got 4 of them at the moment, 3 on frames and a spare waiting for me to build a frame for it.

I use them mainly for aerobatics with a Lemon RX directly attached to the Flip board for a minimum of weight and wiring. My favorite is setup on a FLIP frame from Hoverthings, I attached an FPV camera to it when I first set it up and was getting the settings dialed in, this is what you can do with one if you set it up for fast response...

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

joe_crash

So that's why they call it a Flip, huh? (Lol) And that was your initial set up? Wow, pretty decent. Looked really stable too when not flipping. I just got a new frame - Armattan 355; I think this is one frame I won't break, unlike my others with 10mm wooden booms, it looks pretty indestructible. I'm soldering all my wires, instead of using bullet connectors; I've always thought that was lighter, but honestly, it can't really make much of a difference, (I just don't have any connectors on hand and want to get it flying as the weather is nice!)
Thanks for the video!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
That was the first time I flew it in the field, prior to that all it had was some basic test flights in the backyard to make sure everything worked. I've got the settings on the board really loose and it's a bit of a handful to try and fly normally but that's not why I built it!

The Flip frame has proved extremely rugged, all of those little unintended landings near the end of the video didn't even bother it. Messed up a few Gemfan props but they're cheap and I keep a bunch on hand. I have managed to break an arm or two on the Flip frame but you really have to give it a solid blast into the dirt to do it, I actually ripped the motor right off the end of the arm on one crash when the bolts pulled the threads out of the mounting holes, it only scratched the arm.

I solder the motor wires right to the ESC on most of my multis now, except for the ones that I know will need to be taken apart and put back together fairly frequently for repairs which is most of my aerobatic quads :)

I'm in the process of 3D printing the parts for a custom aerobatic frame that will be home to the Flip Pro board I've had sitting on the bench for a while now, going to try and have it flying for the weekend, stay tuned...

Ken