Finally finished up our last video of a marina by the Long Island Sound

Nice job Tom! Would have been cool to have a shot where you started inside the building with the huge doors, then back out of it... I know, wacko idea, but it's been something I've been wanting to do but haven't found place to use that idea yet. ;)

tombrown1

Hmmm...so just leave the exposure set for the outside, start in total darkness, then back out the door into the light? Interesting.

DennyR

As the story unfolds a pull back is used to take the viewer away from that scene, so it is better to start out wide and then come in. Just my opinion... some nice wide rotationals at high level. I would avoid the high level pan and go with a turning straight run. fixed point pans have to be half that speed. The opening shot would have been better with a rise up from the sign or a reveal from behind something that take you to the sign. Otherwise pretty good I would say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmmm...so just leave the exposure set for the outside, start in total darkness, then back out the door into the light? Interesting.
That would be one way. The two times I wanted to do it, it was because I was shooting some indoor stuff, and transitioning from inside to outside, but then requiring autoexposure (fixed time exposure, but auto aperture). Then again, if there wasn't anything of value in there, then it might not have worked.
I'm also with Denny on the long pan. I've stopped using long pans, and its probably just my taste, but I don't find too much value in them. I've slowed those kinds of pans down, and limited them to smaller segments, and with some forward/lateral motion.
i am by no means an expert, but just expressing a little of "Tim's taste".
but still, great stuff.

tombrown1

Thanks guys! Great tips. The fixed point pan has been bugging me for awhile now. So you think I should do the same pan, but while the craft is in motion?

TB

DennyR

I think that is a better option. In the days of 35mm film the pan shot was taboo because of the motion blur but the alternative forward tracking shot had to limited in speed also, due to an effect called foreground strobing. Not a problem today but I think it just looks better with fwd motion blended into the shot.

Thanks guys! Great tips. The fixed point pan has been bugging me for awhile now. So you think I should do the same pan, but while the craft is in motion?
Tom, it's good stuff, and you even did the forward+pan in your clip from 1:40-1:60... I thought that was gorgeous.
Another thing I love, and you almost it, is the flying by close items. You almost did it at 0:16. It would have been sweeeeet to complete the flyby of the mast, and if possible, doing it another couple of feet closer.
Again, good stuff!

tombrown1

Thanks much! Really wanted to do the mast, but we lost that part of the shot because of a pretty hard jitter we didn't see while filming.

Thus the reason I just completed a new octo build with 3 axis brushless gimbal.