Quad spinning and not getting Air. Video Link inside.

Drewvian

Hi All,

I'm very new to quadrotors, but I finally got my build finished and went out to fly today. To my surprise, my quad spins in a counter clockwise manner. It looks like the motors are setup correctly to me, but I could have not set them up properly. Here is a link to my video so you can view what I am talking about. If you have any other questions let me know and I will reply ASAP. Sorry for the video not being super stable.

Also, here is my build. DJI Naza M Lite, Turnigy Plush 25 amp Speed Controller, Turnigy 4205 530KV Brushless motor, 10X4.5 Carbon Fiber Propellers and a 5000Mah

Thanks for the help.

Drew, I'm not seeing any video in your post.
As for spinning, there are a couple things that would account for that.
First is the main one: motors not setup for clockwise or couter-clockwise rotation. Have you checked that they are all spinning in the correct direction per the manual?
Also, insufficient current to one motor would cause that, which can be cause by a soldering joint that isn't up to par.
Have you confirmed correct placement of the Naza from the Center Of Gravity? And the GPS placement as well?
Have you got your COG as close to the center as possible?
Is this in GPS? Man? Atti? modes? All?

Drewvian

click on "link" I attached the link to that word. Here is the link to youtube. Also, I've answered your questions inline below.

1. First is the main one: motors not setup for clockwise or couter-clockwise rotation. Have you checked that they are all spinning in the correct direction per the manul
I belive so, I double checked it. Then again I am not that experienced so it could be. I will check it again.

Also, insufficient current to one motor would cause that, which can be cause by a soldering joint that isn't up to par
Do you think it would be on the bullet connectors for the ESC or is it something that I should check for that motor. ESC and all bullet connectors solder?

Have you confirmed correct placement of the Naza from the Center Of Gravity? And the GPS placement as well?
I do have it at CG, but I do not have a GPS unit just yet.

Have you got your COG as close to the center as possible?
Sorry, noob question coming. What do you mean by "COG" Do you mean Center Of Gravity? If so, yes it is as close to Center of gravity as possible. I will attach another link to the video at the end of this video.

Is this in GPS? Man? Atti? modes? All?
The video shows it in Man and Atti. When I fly using Atti it just spins and doesn't really get off the ground. When I switch to Manual I can get it a few inches, but again it spins a bit. When I turn on Atti it seems like the motors slow down a bit. Which I think is a bit odd, but what do I know lol.

Thank you for all the help and here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axmw5h1w_5Y&feature=youtu.be

topshots

Have you individually programmed your ESC's as per the NAZA manual. This needs to be done when using 3rd party (non-DJI) ESC's as per the manual.

Also maybe check that your transmitter is calibrated properly using the NAZA assistant software.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Post pictures of the flight controller, indicate which direction faces forward so we can see if there is an issue. Check your motors rotation and prop rotation, it is very easy to make this mistake, I made it and had the same issue.

Check this for reference, I am not sure what your quad is, but this should give you an idea anyway... M1 is always front right!
5-30-20137-13-08PM_zps50fbcbae.png

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I just watched your video, your props are running backwards and pushing air up, they need to push air down. either reverse the motors or swap the props with the motor next to it.

If you make your motors move the direction of the previous picture, when you install the prop, the higher part of the prop is the leading edge or the blade. This is the part that cuts into the air to create lift.

As I said, your props are backwards, the movement is caused by vibration....

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewvian, yes, I meant the center of gravity. Just keep in mind that the COG will only be at the center of the MR if you design your MR at way and you keep thing balance, at least in the x/y direction. You don't want to put extra strain on a motor just because the weight isn't distributed evenly. (Z will entirely depend on if you have gimbal attached or not, and camera, etc., so don't worry too much about that one.)

I'm with Deanot in that it really seems like a motor/ESC setup issue. On a new build, that is the common problem. I place the MR where I can put my hand under each motor and ensure its blowing air downward, and use a piece of paper to "tap" the props or motor to confirms the spinning direction is per the manual (quoted above).

Drewvian

Sorry, I've was at a festival today and hadn't had access to my computer. I just got home and am going out to test this stuff right now. Sorry that I haven't responded yet, been a very busy day with drinking from a pink sippy cup at the festival and having children give me a weird look lol. I'm going to check out to ensure I have the props on because I bet that could be the issue. Also, I don't have a way to program my esc. I guess I'm going to have to order that from some place. Does anyone have a good ESC programmer that they like and that I can order from the US? The reason why I would want to order from the US is because it will get here faster.

Drewvian

Are you saying all props are on backwards? Dang, how did I mess that up lol. Checking this now and should have post back in 30 min.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
lol, all is good bro. Possible they are, hard to see in the video. Just make sure the leading edge of the blade is higher then the trailing edge, it should be cutting into the air and creating a draft below the prop, not above it.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I think you are going to need to program your ESCs before you can use them correctly, but I am not 100% sure on that. I thought with most esc's, all you did was connect direct to your RX and run your throttle from 0 to 100% while the ESC is in program mode. I think it just sets the ESC to know your stick input, but someone else may know more about this.

Drewvian

I am going to switch M1 with M2 and M3 with M4 and see how that works. I was tired and when I first read this I thought you were referring to flipping the props, but after rereading what you wrote I can see that you mean just swap the props with different motors.

Drewvian

I guess I will go and get an ESC programmer, but if that doesn't help maybe I should switch out my motors. What do you guys think? I'm running Turnigy 4205 530kv.

Drewvian, can you confirm for us that the motors are spinning in the directions the props are setup? As Tahoe Ed said, the props do appear to be setup correctly, but we still do not know about the motors. If they are setup correctly, the prop will be causing downward flow of air (obviously... lol).

Drewvian

I will post a video showing their rotation and use a piece of paper to verify the direction. It will be in about 30 min or so. I'm currently in a League of Legend game.

Tahoe Ed

You are good to go. Go out and fly in an open field not off of concrete. Make sure you calibrate your compass. Let us know how it goes.