DJI iOSD Mark II - Convert meters to feet

v9climber

Like the thread says, trying to see if there is a way to convert meters to feet on the display. Have had someone tell me it was possible but have yet to find the option. Also, is there any traction with DJI possibly adding Lat and Long to the the Mark II or new mini iOSD display? I mean its already being logged, so how difficult would it be to display? Any help greatly appreciated.

rcmike

I wish the display was in feet also. I can figure it out pretty close but I have to really think about it.

Also, the artificial horizon on mine operates backwards. Instead of tilting with the horizon it tilts the direction I am tilting. Not really a big deal since I hardly look at it.

v9climber

LOL, feel like I am fishing here as I am more likely to get a bit in this pond than I would in the DJI pond.

Feet conversion for us goofy americans.. and Lat and Long on screen for all? Send me the source code and I will put it in...

I agree for an internationally sold device it should be easily selectable, and how crazy not to be able to display long and lat? who can figure that out.
Regards - bruce

v9climber

Looking at the mini notes, its just a reduced version on the Mark II. Ok so let have Feet and LAT/Long for all.. lol

VintageSlots

Mini iOSD in feet would be great!

I agree but it is not going to happen. I just received the following email from DJI regarding this.

Unfortunately they're are no plans to update this as the Metric system is the world standard.

I would think the USA would be a pretty big market even if we are backwards and don't do metric.

Seems like a silly thing not to add the 10 lines or so of software code to support feet and MPH.

This is a showstopper for me and will cause me to NOT purchase this.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Its odd that they they say that metric is the world standard. To a degree it is but for aviation, feet is the world standard for altitude. What's really odd though, is that you got a reply from DJI!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Correct feet is the world standard for altitude but they are probably only showing height...... LOL

And metres per second, really.....

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The use of feet for altitude corresponds best with the nautical mile which became the standard for ship travel and chart navigation.... Keep in mind that the length of a nautical mile changes with altitude so that the charts remain relevant.
And we are stuck with this because of history. And this is why we must retain both Metric and Imperial units of measure. Metric (SI) has distinct advantages and efficiencies for the science world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_mile

Its odd that they they say that metric is the world standard. To a degree it is but for aviation, feet is the world standard for altitude. What's really odd though, is that you got a reply from DJI!

VintageSlots

The use of feet for altitude corresponds best with the nautical mile which became the standard for ship travel and chart navigation.... Keep in mind that the length of a nautical mile changes with altitude so that the charts remain relevant.
And we are stuck with this because of history. And this is why we must retain both Metric and Imperial units of measure. Metric (SI) has distinct advantages and efficiencies for the science world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_mile

Also, don't forget that real aircraft use knots for speed and not mph/kph or meters per second.

It is really lame that DJI is taking the attitude that they are and their arguments don't even make sense.

crcr

LOL, feel like I am fishing here as I am more likely to get a bit in this pond than I would in the DJI pond.

Feet conversion for us goofy americans.. and Lat and Long on screen for all? Send me the source code and I will put it in...

No Lat and Long?? Is this still the case?

Is it possible that making Lat/Long available on iOSD Mark II would open the door for anyone to develop an alternate GCS waypoint system to compete with the DJI GCS systems?
But ofcourse, a 5.8Ghz GCS link would have very limited range relative to the 10km offered using GCS at 900Mhz.

RobBurn

i know this is a bit old but i emailed them as well. They ought to at least put this in the spec's on the webpage as i didnt see anything about metric only, i figured since the naza software allowed imperial units why would there other devices not? I guess it's the same reason that the iosd mark II comes with a XT60 pass through yet the dji 5.8Ghz package Rx have a Dean's type connector. Heh i laughed when i put all of this together as it's obvisouly developed by different programmers. i'm going to contact the dealer that sold this and see if i can return, it works ok, actually one time it only sent info on the altitude and nothing else. i landed and reset and it was fine.

Boo