jtice - Frame Designs

jtice

I have been playing around in CAD (I use Draftsight) designing some custom quadcopter frame and thought I would share with with you guys.
I plan to end up cutting some of these out manually on a scroll saw. Currently researching some materials to use. I would like to use 3mm to 4mm thick carbon fiber or fiber glass, but the stuff seems so expensive!!! Anyone know a good source for small sheets?
Also thinking about using some nice plywood like others here on the forum have used, and seem to have great results, but that will be heavier naturally.
One material I am thinking about using, which might seem odd, are plastic cutting boards you can buy at Walmart. They are about 5mm to 7mm in thickness and seem quite strong. But I am not sure if they will end up being too heavy.
I am also going to have at least one of these designs CNC cut out of G10/FR4 sheet, probably 0.0182" or 0.225" thick.
Comments, suggestions, are more than welcome.

Click Here to see Full Gallery of Designs
Quadcopter_H-222_V2_GoPro_3D-M.jpg

Attachments

• Quadcopter_H-222_V2_GoPro_3D-M.jpg
    Quadcopter_H-222_V2_GoPro_3D-M.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 625

jtice

Did some more designing today. Tweeking some things on my 257mm frame.
I wanted to focus on and make my 222mm frame first, but it just seems like I am going to get better performance out of 7" props, and only 6" props fit on the 222mm frame.

So, here is version 4 of the H-257 Frame.
Ordered a set of RCX 1800kv Motors since Chris (bobepine) (Armattan Quads) seems to like them alot.
Using F30 SimonK ESCs, and KK2 board.
Now I just need to find some 7x5 props and some 2400 to 2700 3S packs.

So far my plans are to do the top plate out of 0.182" or 0.250" G10 (probably 0.250")
and the bottom plates out of 0.08" G10 Plate.
The design also has mounting options for a typical FPV camera to be mounted in place of the GoPro.
Still need to take some measurements to see how much clearance I need above teh KK2 board to plug in all the cable, so that rear plate spacing will probably be a bit less once its finialized.
Quadcopter_H-257_V4_3D_with%20Components-L.jpg

Quadcopter_H-257_V4_3D-L.jpg

Quadcopter_H-257_V4_plates-L.jpg