Want more air time

Y0urDaddy

I have a basically stock F450 myself. No camera or gear at this time, I get easily 8mins fly time with a 2700mah 3S pack. I am fairly sure it will fly longer than that but I normally land when I notice the LED start to flash red. I have the voltage protection set to return home and land at the second stage but it has never actually done that. When I am done flying the battery is only slightly warm so I think it could go close to 10mins but I don't want to push it and damage the pack.

The F450 is pretty fun, I am comfortable flying it now, but I did practice with a micro-quad for about 4 months or so before getting the F450 kit together. I crashed my micro a few times, but it is so small and all that I never really broke it.

Y0urDaddy

After a 'tree incident' I took my F450 back out to make sure it still flew ok and all. I wanted to actually push the battery a bit as I normally land after 8 to 9 mins of fly time. I got to 14mins before I landed it, battery was not hot but was a bit warm. I am basically just flying the F450 itself & the weight of the battery right now and that seems like a decent fly time.

bensid54

How many mha are you putting back in during a charge? I'm sure you know the rule of thumb when discharging lipo batteries to get the most life out of them. I use two 2200 on my Hex with a Fat Shark setup and after 8 to 9 minutes it uses about half battery capacity so I could likely get about 2 more minutes without battery damage. 14 minutes is a long run what is your elevation above sea level? I wonder if air density figures into such long flight time.

Y0urDaddy

when I have brought it back after about 9mins in the air I typically put about 1800 ma back in to the battery. It is a 2700 mah pack. I was only hovering it that long to see if the return to home & land function worked as expected. I have tested my receiver fail safe setting which is basically for a controlled decent if it loses the transmitter signal. The only thing I have not tested is the return home and land setting as I have never hit that level on my voltage protection.

I think I have enough gas in the tank to fly an FPV set up, I just have to figure that part out.

I read the sticky on lipo ninja but have a few questions. currently my f550 is just stock. soon I will be adding landing gear, gimbal, gopro and aerial system.

here is what I can tell you about my battery situation. 4s 5000mah.

I balance charge it to 16.828v which according to the article is correct. (4.2v / cell) After flying for say 10.5 or 11 minutes, I can put it back on charger and it registers at 15.2 volts. that is 3.8/cell. My question is how much % has been used? I want to get more flight time like everyone else and want to experiment. (different batteries, etc.) I also want to play with my naza voltage but want to get suggestions before I touch those.

thanks

Quinton

here is what I can tell you about my battery situation. 4s 5000mah.

How much out of that 5000mAh are you putting back in after charging, your charger should tell you the amount, if not try and find yourself a charger that does.
You should be putting back about 4000mAh
It will completely change when you add all your weight to your MR, so don't fly the same amount of time loaded as you do unloaded.

I guess I'm not looking at all the information that is on the charger. i'll do it tonight and see if I can provide more information. I was looking at volts, but I should be looking at the amps I guess.

like I said,tonight I'll do another test run and provide more information. thanks.