MultiCopter Dihedral

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Originally I wondered why the DJI S800 motor arms were tilted upward at the end of each motor arm.
A closer look at several other newer Hex and Octoframe designs shows they are now doing the same.
Some are 3 degrees and some are up to 10 degrees dihedral. 10 degrees seems a bit excessive and might lead to less total airtime due to lifting efficiency loss.
These manufacturers are claiming the dihedral increases hovering stability but also helps to eliminate random yaw when travelling forward.
Since my custom 800 mm Hex w/o dihedral tends to yaw into the wind when flying forward, it seems this concept would help to correct the problem.

Anyone care to comment further?

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
DJI flight controllers have issues with random yaw in FF regardless of frame, I've owned a total of 6 of them now and every one one of them did it to some degree or another. One frame in particular that I could not eliminate the slight yawing motion on with either a WKM or Naza now flys fine with a full Mikrokopter electronics stack so my conclusion is DJI did the dihedral to mask an issue they were unable to eliminate in the firmware for whatever reason. As for everyone else doing it, perhaps a case of moneky see, monkey do? Because DJI is doing it, it must be a good thing so maybe we should do it too...

Ken