What am I doing wrong. Please help. DJI Phantom

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CameraGuy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Gfe3zC_BE

I have posted this short video of two flights. The first one ended badly, most likely because I didn't do the compass dance, which I did before the second one.

It was hovering pretty well, but as soon as I tried to do a turn, I lost control again.

Does anyone think I have broken something? The calibration and control testing went just fine.

I am using a DX8 now, and not the Phantom controller.
The Gumbal is powered off the AUX power on the Phantom. Can that be the issue?

All comments and suggestions will be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks

Darren

I almost think that was purpose to hit that sign! Noth good at al... Oké trubbleshooting

-When you connect to assistent (pc) al the sliders move the right way?

-do have set your 3-way switch right? Look in assistent when flicking the switch see what happens

-are you waiting before lift off that you see 16 green flashes (home point safe)

-maybe you fly in ios homelock. Within 10 mtr of the homepoint the aircraft is doing strange thinges! Check in assistent

-maybe incorrect failsafe off your spektrum receiver?

-check al wires maybe one comes to close to receiver?

Gr. BC

Stacky

I dont own a phantom or anything DJI so my suggestion might not be useful but have you tried flying in manual mode with no GPS enabled?. Fly auto level if you need. The reason I am wondering about this is that it might help you isolate if the problem is related to the GPS side of things or the general flight control side of things. If it exhibits the same problem without GPS enabled you will be able to narrow down the area of the problem to look at.

C

CameraGuy

I almost think that was purpose to hit that sign! Noth good at al... Oké trubbleshooting

I can assure you I didn't hit it on purpose. It was drifting that way, and I tried to increase the throttle to get it to go higher than the sign. It was a dumb move to fly that close, but I started about 12 feet away.

-When you connect to assistent (pc) al the sliders move the right way?

I did a calibration of the switches. They moved freely, and were operating correctly.

-do have set your 3-way switch right? Look in assistent when flicking the switch see what happens

-are you waiting before lift off that you see 16 green flashes (home point safe)

I believe I was flying in Home Lock mode.

-maybe you fly in ios homelock. Within 10 mtr of the homepoint the aircraft is doing strange thinges! Check in assistent

I believe it was in Home lock, but when it went out of control in the second flight, it was more than 10m away.

-maybe incorrect failsafe off your spektrum receiver?

It says in the NAZA assistant I have failsafe set up properly.

-check al wires maybe one comes to close to receiver?

I did that before I went out to fly. I took the bird apart

I am thinking about going back to the original radio, which is an option. Or, move my controller to a DJI F450 kit, and assume it is something in the esc's or motors or?

Darren

Last edited:

C

CameraGuy

I dont own a phantom or anything DJI so my suggestion might not be useful but have you tried flying in manual mode with no GPS enabled?. Fly auto level if you need. The reason I am wondering about this is that it might help you isolate if the problem is related to the GPS side of things or the general flight control side of things. If it exhibits the same problem without GPS enabled you will be able to narrow down the area of the problem to look at.

Good suggestion.

If I did that, what would you recommend I look for? What characteristics would not using the GPS illustrate.

Do you want me to fly in ATTi mode, or complete manual?

Darren

Stacky

Sorry but I dont use GPS and have no working knowledge of GPS controls.
Im just wondering about isolating the gps from the problem so flying in whichever of the non gps modes you are most comfortable with would be fine. If you still have troubles with how its flying then you can mostly eliminate the gps side as being the problem and from there start to concentrate on non gps things. It could for example be a problem with auto level mode?. Motors, esc's, radio etc. That probably doesnt narrow it down a huge amount but it would eliminate one thing.
If it flies fine in non gps modes then you know at least that your motors, esc's and FC are working well and then can concentrate on GPS issues.
Wish I could give you a more helpful answer but I know from past experience that trying to work out an exact cause can be a slow and frustrating process and trying to eliminate problems 1 by 1 sometimes takes some time but can help shorten the problem solving process.
I had one problem that took me a few months to solve and it ended up being my radio rx in the quad. It took me too long to work it out.

Teamflail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Gfe3zC_BE

I have posted this short video of two flights. The first one ended badly, most likely because I didn't do the compass dance, which I did before the second one.

It was hovering pretty well, but as soon as I tried to do a turn, I lost control again.

Does anyone think I have broken something? The calibration and control testing went just fine.

I am using a DX8 now, and not the Phantom controller.
The Gumbal is powered off the AUX power on the Phantom. Can that be the issue?

All comments and suggestions will be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks

Darren

Hey Darren, welcome to the world of multi-copters. I think our motto should be:

"It's not if you crash, but when"

I had it loosely translated to Latin since that always sounds better.

"Si non est sonus, sed"

Looks like there are some pretty good ideas by the other members out there. One additional idea is to balance the motors and props on your quad. I am fairly confident that caused the last crash for my hex and I am just about doing everything I can to minimize the vibration. Keep looking through the posts as there is a lot of good information out there.

C

CameraGuy

Sorry but I dont use GPS and have no working knowledge of GPS controls.
Im just wondering about isolating the gps from the problem so flying in whichever of the non gps modes you are most comfortable with would be fine. If you still have troubles with how its flying then you can mostly eliminate the gps side as being the problem and from there start to concentrate on non gps things. It could for example be a problem with auto level mode?. Motors, esc's, radio etc. That probably doesnt narrow it down a huge amount but it would eliminate one thing.
If it flies fine in non gps modes then you know at least that your motors, esc's and FC are working well and then can concentrate on GPS issues.
Wish I could give you a more helpful answer but I know from past experience that trying to work out an exact cause can be a slow and frustrating process and trying to eliminate problems 1 by 1 sometimes takes some time but can help shorten the problem solving process.
I had one problem that took me a few months to solve and it ended up being my radio rx in the quad. It took me too long to work it out.

I like the idea. I will try it tomorrow. Too much wind this evening.

Darren

C

CameraGuy

Hey Darren, welcome to the world of multi-copters. I think our motto should be:

"It's not if you crash, but when"

I had it loosely translated to Latin since that always sounds better.

"Si non est sonus, sed"

Looks like there are some pretty good ideas by the other members out there. One additional idea is to balance the motors and props on your quad. I am fairly confident that caused the last crash for my hex and I am just about doing everything I can to minimize the vibration. Keep looking through the posts as there is a lot of good information out there.

Ya, I know. I'm getting tired of a non reliable unit. I had one fly away into the lake. I had another one do a flyaway, which I documented in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRwOeeHdlg

No, please folks, if you read this and watch that video, I am not asking for comments on it. I've been kicked around pretty hard about my comments on that video, and feeling somewhat sore about it right now.

I just want to have a bird that I can fly for fun, and perhaps add the odd bit of video to some of my corporate video work. (Yes, I know it's illegal)

It is my hobby as well as something I want to make a dollar or two on if I can.

Some have said, make sure you say good bye when you hit the throttle as you may never see it again. I'm starting to believe this.

D

skipper1

I asked about 3.16 because I loaded it on my Phantom this weekend and almost lost my copter. After the update, it would drift and just wasn't acting right. Went home and reinstalled 3.16, now it really had a mind of its own. Yaw was like a merry go round and sporadic. Went back home, uninstalled 3.16 assistant from my computer and went back to 3.14.
Something you might try is the advanced calibration and also do a transmitter calibration and don't forget to do the GPS calibration. Maybe you've already done that. One other thing, toss those props you crashed into the pole with and put new ones on.

C

CameraGuy

Well, I've never felt less comfortable with 3.14. I swear my bird has never been the same. Sometimes I think about moving back to version 2!

I did do all the calibrations, including the advanced, and the transmitter. By GPS calibration, I assume you mean the dance after flicking the ATTI to the GPS 10 times, and doing 2 360's.

Yes, I did that too.

Perhaps the DX8 is not set up correctly. Perhaps I have done something wrong there.

Yes, I will change the props, that much is for sure. Usually, I use the Grapuners, but for this flight, I decided to eliminate those from the equation, and use the stock props.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Darren

iceman17

Just a thought camera guy but did you calibrate your transmitter sticks. I don't mean the calibration with Naza but the calibration in the transmitter itself. The DX8 ( I have one as well ) has a calibration option in the set up menu that should be done before any thing else is done. I forgot to do mine right from the start and had a very non responsive F 550 fly away on me. After the transmitter calibration all was well with my bird. Hope this helps.

C

CameraGuy

Just a thought camera guy but did you calibrate your transmitter sticks. I don't mean the calibration with Naza but the calibration in the transmitter itself. The DX8 ( I have one as well ) has a calibration option in the set up menu that should be done before any thing else is done. I forgot to do mine right from the start and had a very non responsive F 550 fly away on me. After the transmitter calibration all was well with my bird. Hope this helps.

No, I don't believe I did. I didn't know to do that. I'll give it a try today hopefully.

Thanks

Darren

Cody2008

Ya, I know. I'm getting tired of a non reliable unit. I had one fly away into the lake. I had another one do a flyaway, which I documented in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRwOeeHdlg

No, please folks, if you read this and watch that video, I am not asking for comments on it. I've been kicked around pretty hard about my comments on that video, and feeling somewhat sore about it right now.

I just want to have a bird that I can fly for fun, and perhaps add the odd bit of video to some of my corporate video work. (Yes, I know it's illegal)

It is my hobby as well as something I want to make a dollar or two on if I can.

Some have said, make sure you say good bye when you hit the throttle as you may never see it again. I'm starting to believe this.

D

I was beginning to see your concern after watching the video and reading your post...until I came to the part about you filming commercially - illegally.

How do think someone who is doing it legally with hundreds of hours getting transport canada's approval, paying for insurance , the time and energy involved in setting up ap/av commercial ops would view your situation?

C

CameraGuy

I was beginning to see your concern after watching the video and reading your post...until I came to the part about you filming commercially - illegally.

How do think someone who is doing it legally with hundreds of hours getting transport canada's approval, paying for insurance , the time and energy involved in setting up ap/av commercial ops would view your situation?

I'm not flying illegally. How nice of you to jump to conclusions.

Right now, I am playing with the Phantom as a possible platform to fly commercially. Also, why do you think I haven't made the appropriate applications? I have - which is none of your concern anyway.

I can, and will close this thread. I know what was wrong. There is a problem with the ESC or prop on the left hand side, which I have ordered replacements for.

So many people who think they are policeman on these forums. I like how you policeman are all anonymous.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.