80% Rule or 3.7v?

Blacksails

So I just ran my new 8000mah 5s Zippys through the octo. She ran for about 12-13 minutes and landed when my plug in battery alarms read 3.7v 'ish per cell. Packs were quite cool, only just beginning to warm.

When I plugged them into my Cellpro 8, it tells me that I have 33% still left in the pack.

So what do I live by? The 80% rule, or the 3.7v rule?
Is it safe for me to get the extra minute or two and run down to 20%?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
As above. And also, ignore the percentage that is displayed on the charger. Work it out yourself from the mah you put back and the voltage after flight. The charger doesn't really know the pack capacity.

Maverick

As your pack gets older, and deteriorates, your mAh capacity WILL decrease, therefore, as you fly, your voltage will decrease QUICKER.
80% of your pack's original stated capacity, or original measured capacity, for example on a 5000mAh pack, it will be 4000mAh, will NOT be 80% when it starts to deteriorate. Therefore, if you always spend 4000mAh, as the pack gets older, you are actually eating more than 80%, because the lipo's ACTUAL 100% is less than when you started. E.G. 4000mAh on a now 4500mAh pack is now 88.8%. The new 80% of 4500mAh is now 3600mAh.
When I fly my plane, I use EzOSD, I know my flight times, and I know my 80% mAh value. Then one day, as I was flying, I noticed my low voltage alarm flashing, and I thought it had to be a mistake, as I hadn't used near 1800mAh, of my 2200mAh packs. I was only at just over 1300mAh, and I wasn't near my usual flight time either. Had I been keeping a closer eye on my voltage reading, I'd have realised that something was wrong with my pack. So, from then on, I use mAh as a guide only, but always pay attention to the voltage. Luckily as it was only a foamie, there was no harm done, as I just glided in to land, as the controls were on a separate BEC.
For my MR, I always watch the voltage, as THAT'S what counts, when it comes to a pack failing. I too also use the cheap lipo alarms, just in case I lose a cell, on one of the parallel packs, this will let me know before its too late, as mAh readings on a parallel pack with a dropped cell is useless.

Blacksails

Good info Maverick.

I plan to fly again and add 30 secs each flight until I am putting 80% back into the batteries. Once I know that, I can see what voltage the packs are at when they hit 80% capacity. I then know what voltage I can fly to safely.

I keep written logs of each and every flight, one for the airframe and components, and one for the LiPo packs. I record individual cell internal resistance, Mah put back in etc etc, so I'm not too worried about spotting a bad pack. Fairly confident ill see it if its on the ground. If it happens in the air, I know my voltages.

Dewster

Don't risk it. As Maverick said: the flight times will decrease as your batteries get older. I went from successful 6-7 minute flights to an earth shattering 3 minute 30 second flight followed by a demonstration of Newton's law:

http://youtu.be/DaCp1USGAGM

Be content with your flight times and don't push your batteries. Also try to keep the extras from running off of the flight battery.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
I go by the 3.4v rule when I am closer to the craft (gives me plenty of time to get back and land) 3.7v is for when doing fpv flights