Consequences of running 5S packs on a 4S motor?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Other than heat and the damage it can do has anyone regularly exceeded motor voltage ratings and lived to tell about it?

Thanks!
Bart

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Why would you do this? You may gain some performance advantage but you are now putting in a massive safety risk. The first thing about any flight is safety. Full stop / period. No argument.

Motors are specced up to certain voltages for a good reason. Over voltage will just cause premature failure. Maybe not on the first flight but probably not long after. This is just not a sensible idea even if you do hear of others managing it for a bit.

Bartman

Carapau, I could have guessed all of that but there's also such a thing as safety margin and in some cases it is enough to operate a little bit outside of specs.

This isn't a build for someone else, it's for me, for fun, because I want to go really fast. :)

Bartman

also, anything for a new heli will be run on the world famous Tuba-4 motor test stand. :tennis:

View attachment 13097

Attachments

• DSC03954.jpg
    DSC03954.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 319

sas

Why not approach it a different way and build something where the all up weight is only about 25 / 30% of the theoretical max thrust of the motors? No over spec running and if you use the right controller, it will be very quick - bit like a GTI car ;-)

Bartman

speed has its own set of parameters that have to be managed. to be fast, agile, and smooth will be a challenge and tall, high-KV motors aren't part of the solution. most of the plan is in place, just trying to nail down the best motor for the job.

bart

eyeball

Id also like to know a little more about running a higher voltage on motors. Im just running some tests on prop sizes and battery packs on my own build which is a XM4 with 8x torxpower 3536 which are the same as the 2814-11 of which I'm getting conflicting battery specs....one says up to 5s and another says 6s??? I would like to try 6s but I don't know if i'll gain from doing so or worse??

Bartman

the 2814's are rated at 4S according to the RCtigermotor.com website.

i may try a spare with a 5S pack on the test stand to see how long it lasts.

eyeball

that's a little worrying to say the least...im just charging a pair of 8000 4s as I type and im going to give her a whirl again as soon as there ready with 13x6.5 carbons which do seems a good match as ive tried 11" with 4s and 5s and then 4s with 14" apc sf but these 13x6.5 seems ok with 4s so far. I'm going to try a set of 12" Graupners that Droider leant me the other day but Ive got to order the 6mm spacers.
Yes please post how you get on with a 5s Bartman and if your feeling really sacrificial then try it with a 6s like the 3536 is rated at?:shame:

Bartman

that's a little worrying to say the least...im just charging a pair of 8000 4s as I type and im going to give her a whirl again as soon as there ready with 13x6.5 carbons which do seems a good match as ive tried 11" with 4s and 5s and then 4s with 14" apc sf but these 13x6.5 seems ok with 4s so far. I'm going to try a set of 12" Graupners that Droider leant me the other day but Ive got to order the 6mm spacers.
Yes please post how you get on with a 5s Bartman and if your feeling really sacrificial then try it with a 6s like the 3536 is rated at?:shame:

i can do that!

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
This isn't a build for someone else, it's for me, for fun, because I want to go really fast.

Okay, that's groovy- apologies if I came across a bit negative but I too often scared by what some people are trying on this forum without having sufficient knowledge. Having now recognized the TUBA-4 you are clearly not one of those! I take it you will be flying this in manual then as atti and GPS modes by limiting the angle of attitude will limit the speed regardless of the props unless you want to see it rocket skywards at the same time

gtranquilla

RadioActive

Bartman

i've actually found some motors at hobbyking that would be suitable for what i want to try. if it all goes as planned I could spec better motors. anyone have any experience with NTM motors?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I bought and used 6 NTM 1100 KV motors c/w one spare..... they worked OK but some balancing issues and in one case some issues with the bearings..... sort of a hit and miss..... but selecting the 1100 KV was just wrong for a Multirotor......
i've actually found some motors at hobbyking that would be suitable for what i want to try. if it all goes as planned I could spec better motors. anyone have any experience with NTM motors?

As long as your not doing full punchouts/heavy loads, you will be fine, I regularly fly my smaller quads 3S motors with 4S batterys...for the light stuff no problem, under load....wouldnt risk it

I wonder if you can measure the voltage vs throttle range to 'know' the limits while flying? Anyone hooked up a multimeter to a brushless motor to test?

Bartman

Tiger's official response is 3S-4S although I'm not sure the sales people really give it much thought beyond referencing a spec sheet.

Manufacturers have to give some guidance and one way to limit wattage and current is to give a voltage range to operate the motor in. I have been running my Avroto M2814-11S motors on 5s for more than a year with no issues. The way I look at things is that the voltage is not as important as the current and wattage you are running the motor at. Of course how hot the motor gets is very important. I am flying a hex that weighs about 10lbs and averaging 40A for the entire hex. I land and the motors are not hot. In my opinion the higher voltage puts more stress on the speed controller than it does on the motor. I am running 60A speed controllers good for 6s though and they don't get hot either. Because of this, I am comfortable with my setup. I am not saying do disregard the manufacturer specs, just that they are guidelines for the general consumer.