Hoverfly GPS Accuracy

Would something like this help in GPS accuracy? Sure seems like it would!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/07/piksi-brings-half-inch-gps-accuracy-to-kickstarter-for-900/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fengadget+%28Engadget%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Do you Hoverfly guys have one? I think they sold out of their pre-production test units, hopefully you guys got one :)

Paul

This, by the way, is probably going to get NSA's attention. I remember some really early posts where HF was waiting for some govt approvals on resolution. Maybe companies outside the US are getting past those restrictions somehow.

workshop

This level of GPS accuracy and the technique to achieve it (RTK) has been available for years (Trimble, etc.) This technology is not really necessary for the type of GPS functionality that Multirotors need.

I believe the software issue is in programming craft control decisions based on the the GPS data stream not the accuracy of that stream. The current offerings of >$100 GPS modules should be a sufficient hardware platform for reliable RTH, Waypoints and Position Hold. IMO :)

workshop

Perfect.... The brushless method is a great way to go... No steppers, no gears, no belts... The NEX5N has a very weak HDMI connector assembly and that is my biggest complaint.

Yeah, the brushless gimbal is brilliant. made everything else obsolete overnight. I started with the Quaternium then built my own and just can't believe the results. My daughter who does videography for a living commented that the out of camera footage looked like CG and that's a pretty apt description for all gimbals in this class. Now, since everyone can output technically perfet AV the challenge is to make it truly interesting.

workshop

Total agreement. Everybody has a GoPro on a gimbal... That is the easy part; now the challenge is to edit together a compelling program and learn the difference between pilot and filmmaker.

Watch (again) the opening aerial shot from "Goldfinger". The flight path and timing are spot on and quite a feat in 1964. The camera bouncing all over the place just shows how far we have come in just under 50 years.

I'd love to see some of our contemporaries making 3-5 minute short films with a purpose, beginning, middle and end leaving the audience with wonder and curiosity. The "hey look what I can do" style of video (Trappy and the ilk) is so "two thousand and late" to borrow a phrase from the Black Eyed Peas (speaking of two thousand and late) :) I gave it a try a few years ago with my "Aerial Shorts" series and the process was both fulfilling and a lot harder than I anticipated.

jeffparisse.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerovideo

Total agreement. Everybody has a GoPro on a gimbal... That is the easy part; now the challenge is to edit together a compelling program and learn the difference between pilot and filmmaker.

Watch (again) the opening aerial shot from "Goldfinger". The flight path and timing are spot on and quite a feat in 1964. The camera bouncing all over the place just shows how far we have come in just under 50 years.

I'd love to see some of our contemporaries making 3-5 minute short films with a purpose, beginning, middle and end leaving the audience with wonder and curiosity. The "hey look what I can do" style of video (Trappy and the ilk) is so "two thousand and late" to borrow a phrase from the Black Eyed Peas (speaking of two thousand and late) :) I gave it a try a few years ago with my "Aerial Shorts" series and the process was both fulfilling and a lot harder than I anticipated.

jeffparisse.com

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out now. Finally with the ability to take technically good video trying to figure out what actually makes an aerial good video is a whole other matter.

Not as easy as it once seemed. I get bored watching my own videos... hehe :) Need to figure out how to fix that!

Paul

workshop

I don't get bored watching your videos Paul.

OK... Now we have a tripod, dolly, jib, boom, crane, technoboom and aerial and it all fits in the back of the car... Now what? The California landmark series I did was low hanging fruit but a basic first step nonetheless. I guess reaching out to screen writers might be a good win-win idea. There are plenty of theatre arts majors that need free production help and we, as operators, could use a free script.

jeffparisse.com

Maybe teach a class on the side? http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1395&doc_id=266328

And Jeff your California Landmark Series is still a viable idea. Ever since I started this addiction I have had a dream of hiking to the top of Yosemite falls to get footage traveling down the middle of the river, going over the falls then turn back towards the falls and slowly dropping top the bottom (operative word here is "slowly"). This is the first time I actually feel like it could be done and quite honestly I would want Paul Bush at the controls for that one.

Aerovideo

I don't get bored watching your videos Paul.

OK... Now we have a tripod, dolly, jib, boom, crane, technoboom and aerial and it all fits in the back of the car... Now what? The California landmark series I did was low hanging fruit but a basic first step nonetheless. I guess reaching out to screen writers might be a good win-win idea. There are plenty of theatre arts majors that need free production help and we, as operators, could use a free script.

jeffparisse.com

I have never been bored watching your videos Paul. The exact opposite of bored.

Maybe teach a class on the side? http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1395&doc_id=266328

And Jeff your California Landmark Series is still a viable idea. Ever since I started this addiction I have had a dream of hiking to the top of Yosemite falls to get footage traveling down the middle of the river, going over the falls then turn back towards the falls and slowly dropping top the bottom (operative word here is "slowly"). This is the first time I actually feel like it could be done and quite honestly I would want Paul Bush at the controls for that one.

You guys are far too kind, and I really appreciate it!

But you know what I mean, you're showing someone your video over your shoulder and its at that point you realize which sections are too long or should be removed all together. Or you're editing it together and wish you would have flown some other places and you feel like you missed some cool shots. Plus I have a sense that it would be really helpful to have someone familiar with cinematic type shots point out what, where, when and how to fly. Kind of like a book on videography but from the air :)

Paul, that sounds like a beautiful shot from Yosemite, one of your backpack quads would be awesome!

I do like the landmark idea as well as the idea of working with grads or soon to be grads for ideas.

Maybe we should start an ideas thread, not only ideas of what to shoot but ideas what makes a cool shot.

Thanks again guys... oh and I guess I derailed this thread... hehe :)