Microwave and Radio Transmission Towers dangerous or safe?

Has anyone had experience or thoughts with flying near or around Microwave, TV and radio transmission towers. My assumption would be that they would cause allot of interference with the electronics and cause potential loss of control or fry them. What would be the recommended min distance away one should fly?

Electro 2

This came up on another forum, as well. With 40 years of experience in the RF engineering field, I would tell you to stay the H**L away from them. Military electronics and the best commercial equipment can deal with high EMI operational environments. Hobby grade, "Made In China" stuff, not. Yes, I've seen plenty of videos on YT showing guys flying around cell sites, broadcast TX sites, and land-mobile radio sites with no ill effects, but, I'm not going to do it. I value my stuff more than that.

Hey Elctro

Thanks for the info.... i'd just as soon stay away and not risk my gear either. I am curious if anyone has had issues though. I would have thought it be more probable than not that there would be adverse effects.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
radio emission energy emits according to the inverse square law..... there can be an incredible amount of emi as one gets really close...... There have been issues reported on this forum of a MR RC link failure and MR crash when the MR got too close to an overhead powerline..... there was emi/rfi carried on the powerline in addition to the normal 60 hz AC frequency.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I wonder how many 'I hate DJI, my XXX just flew away' can actually be attributed to flying too close to powerful emitters? The point here is that I suspect there are a lot more incidents out there of people flying unwittingly close to such objects without really understanding the risks or indeed the consequences. Me personally, with a little experience in RF just stay well clear of such towers.