Using capacity resistors when discharging lipos to storage level with iCharger 106B+

Hi Kari, My battries are only 4S and I use 12 volt automobile head light globes (high beam or low beam) to discharge my lipos with my iCharger 208B. It works very well for me and is cheap. In your case you may have to use 24v globes not sure if 12 volt globes will handle the extra voltage. I usually discharge between 6 to 8 amps on one globe.
Regards - bruce

ChrisViperM

Hi Kari

Why making it so complicated....your charger got already what it takes to dis-charge a LiPo

Look at the manual at page #16: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/product_images/pdf/106B+-user-manual-V1.6.pdf

“Storage” charge/discharge a Lithium battery

This mode is for charging/discharging a Lithium battery that is not to be used for an extended period. The
program determines whether to charge or discharge the battery based on the configured target voltage and
the measured initial voltage of the battery.
The nominal target storage voltage depends on the type of Lithium
battery: 3.75V/cell for Lilo, 3.85V/cell for LiPo and 3.3V/cell for LiFe. If at the start the battery voltage exceeds
the target storage voltage the program will start to discharge rather than charge.

Chris

RobertsUp

The Hyperion charger takes a load off of my brain. Which is why I bought it. I can push a button a half dozen times to put a LiPo into storage mode and the charger's computer does the rest. It sounds a blip when near the end and balancing, then sounds a louder alarm when it's done and shuts itself off. I've used it enough now to believe I can trust it. Works with up to 7s. (Of course I still would never leave it unattended)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Chris, my iCharger 208B only has a maximum internal discharge capacity of 1amp with 4S, that is why I use the DSCH+ method otherwise it takes far too long and a lot of Unnecessary heat inside the charger (they are only physically very small charger with small fan).
With DSCH+ you add to the discharge capacity of your charger, so if your charger is capable of say 1amp internally you can add extra discharge capacity and the total process is faster.
Regards - bruce

Kari

Hi Kari

Why making it so complicated....your charger got already what it takes to dis-charge a LiPo

Look at the manual at page #16: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/product_images/pdf/106B+-user-manual-V1.6.pdf

Chris

Without external resistor or bulbs it's only discharging with something like 0,7A takes forever to discharge 10000mah 5S. I've used 12V bulbs for 3S and 4S smaller lipos, but will propably work if adding few of them in parallel and in series of two, but looking for something easier to pack when traveling.

Hi Kari, I looked at resistor systems over 12 months ago and found they were expensive and also bulky/heavy for higher amps and they also get very hot like bulbs but not breakable like bulbs. Good luck
Regards - bruce

Kari

True, resistor bank is really bulky as well and heat is still a problem so no big advantage over bulbs.