Is Naza's gimbal controller any good?

cpercival

I have a F450 with a GoPro Hero 2 hard mounted to the frame and it works great, but I'd like to add a gimbal to the mix to keep things level. I've got a couple questions:

1. Is the gimbal controller on the V2 with the latest firmware decent or should I be looking at a third party controller?

2. Naza would limit me to a 2-axis gimbal, right? Any reason to get a 3-axis?

3. If I stick with Naza and 2-axis, what is a good light brushless gimbal? I will eventually be adding FPV gear so light is key.

Kilby

Brushless gimbals use their own controller. The Naza controller would only be used for servo gimbals which, in my opinion, aren't worth the effort.

Cpercival, I just got the DJI Zenmuse H3-2D (2-axis brushless gimbal) for my F450 with a Naza controller, and I love it. Yes, the Zen has a controller, and I'm not 100% certain on how the interactions between the Naza and the Zen work, but I do know it uses the X2 channel of the Naza to control the pitch/tilt of the gimbal. Yes, it's more pricey than other options out there of brushless gimbal and controller, but for me it was worth it to not have to pull the pieces together then to tune the controller.
I know that DJI is coming out with a 3-axis version in the next month (or so they are advertising) and it is meant to work with the Naza as well. Hope that helps.

cpercival

Will that one work with a hero 2 or just the 3? Couldn't find any info on dji's site. Also, maybe a cheaper option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, it's for the Hero3 only, at least that's what I had read on their website. I overlooked your point about only having a Hero2.
A cheaper option would be the new brushless version of the X468. You can look at the owners website at www.x468.com, and buy it from rc-drones.com. You will need to buy a controller for it.

cpercival

Thanks for the info. That one looks promising. Another one I found is the Arris Cm2000. Has anyone had any experience with this one? Good? Bad? Meh?