Some questions about quadcopters

RobertsUp

Hi Frayt.

Others are more qualified than me to give you advice but right away I realized what's going to happen.

Advances in weaponry are always useful for a while, but someone is bound to find a way to shoot the craft down.

I've seen videos of some big chaotic paintball fests and it will be fun to see how your scouting plan turns out.

Hi Frayt

The next generation DJI Phatom vision will do exactly what you require OOTB. probably looking around the $1500... but pricing etc has not yet been released. I have not heard a phantom in person but they are not exactly stealthy and as another person commented would be susceptible to being shot down.

• Have my quadcopter reach an altitude of 100-200ft (30-60m)
  • Have my quadcopter fly within a radius of about 1000ft (300m)
  • Use a USB webcam to transmit video back to a receiver module (It's going to be a small quadcopter + I need live video)

- Frayt

Except for the 1000 ft, I'm not sure about that, a DR Drone will do all that now.
And they do make a tempting target.

Electro 2

Any one of the popular LRS radio systems would easily do the push side, your WiFi camera system would be out for video return, though. Keep in mind, several years of building and flying experience will be between you and working 5 miles out, something of this nature is not as simple as it looks.

RuralFPV

COWS!!!!
There are plenty of monitors used for FPV that won't run a battery down that fast.

More important is the fact that some monitors won't display static when presented with a poor signal, instead they just go blue. You don't want this. Sometimes when you're flying, the picture gets pretty bad, but it's still usable. Well it's not usable if your monitor turns blue.

You should focus on monitors either marketed for this or ones that other people have re-purposed. Any old backup cam may not be a viable solution.

There are plenty of monitors used for FPV that won't run a battery down that fast.

More important is the fact that some monitors won't display static when presented with a poor signal, instead they just go blue. You don't want this. Sometimes when you're flying, the picture gets pretty bad, but it's still usable. Well it's not usable if your monitor turns blue.

You should focus on monitors either marketed for this or ones that other people have re-purposed. Any old backup cam may not be a viable solution.

I have used one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Buck-...268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257c163994

Electro 2

"A) Modify my remote with the FrSky DIY kit
B) Change from a USB camera to one of the small FPV cameras (made by sony I believe)"

Not familiar with the FrSky kit, but the most popular LRS systems I see in the field are the DragonLink, Immersion RC's EzUHF, and Iftron. Watch some videos on You Tube, there are many, see what they are using.

Monitor power consumption of the smallish (7/8/9 in) monitors used in FPV simply isn't a problem. Most pull less than one amp when combined with the video link receiver. Most will also torerate the somewhat lower voltage, (12.6 down to 9.8 or so), of a 3 cell LiPo pack, as well. Seldom is voltage conversion neccessary, check before you buy if there are doubts. If you fly a 3 cell craft, old "tired" flight LiPos are good for this as the total current drain is low unlike the aircraft. A 4 or 5 Ah LiPo will power the monitor/reciever combo far longer than you are likely to fly in one day.