ESC went dead and WKM saved my hex

I have a Carbon Core 950 Hex with DJI WKM, 6 T-Motor MN4014-9 and 6 Maytech 40A ESCs. I was flying it Saturday taking some video with the Zenmuse and all of a sudden I heard the motors change rpm and the bird spun around 180 degrees. It then regained stability and began flying fine. I immediately came back and landed and on the way back I could see that one motor was out. I was very thankful that the aircraft flew as planned with one motor out. Here is an argument for having surplus power.

Today I powered up the bird to see if the motor would run and it did. It actually flew fine, but then I tried a second battery and the ESC appeared dead. So I replaced it with another and everything seems fine.

I have bashed DJI in the past, but today I say thank you.

And that is one one needs to utilize the IOC feature that will enable the pilot to bring it straight home while it is still spinning.
And as Ferdinand and others have pointed out...... having a lot of flying experience with the MR in manual mode can also help to get it back on the ground safely.
So...... I am going to spend more time practicing IOC mode and manual while my bird is still in one piece.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
And that is one one needs to utilize the IOC feature that will enable the pilot to bring it straight home while it is still spinning.
And as Ferdinand and others have pointed out...... having a lot of flying experience with the MR in manual mode can also help to get it back on the ground safely.
So...... I am going to spend more time practicing IOC mode and manual while my bird is still in one piece.

getting to know IOC better will be helpful in a number of ways. :)

glacier51

getting to know IOC better will be helpful in a number of ways.

Yes indeed.

I threw a prop once from my F550. I was FPV at the time and was unaware what happened. I did end up dumping the hexa into a large juniper bush, saving major repairs though. But it was flyable enough for about 150yds back to my driveway.

Anyway, an easy test is to fly out a bit, flip into Home Lock and as you add aft cyclic to bring it home, apply some left or right yaw to simulate the torque of loosing a motor. Your MR will merrily spin around as it flies home and that's why I would recommend Home Lock vs Course Lock per the DJI video.

Ron