Aerial Photography/Video Cost

cbpagent72

I am looking at starting a video business here in Tucson, AZ. I am looking at using either the SkyJib-8 or Cinestar 8 with a RED EPIC and Canon 5D MKIII. What are you guys charging for video and stills per hour or per day? I appreciate the input.

Kilby

I doubt you will get many replies from anyone in the US. If you didn't know, it's technically not legal to set up an aerial photography business in the US using unmanned aircraft. Do some research. If you are just getting into this and want to set up a business, think again. It will likely be close to 2020 before all the legislation is in place that allows us to get a business license and insurance to open a legit business.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Would you really spend $60k on gear and not have done any searches for this? Have you flown rc heli's before? I think you are asking for a harsh welcome to to the forum with a first entry like this. There is a wealth of knowledge on here from people that have been doing this for many years. take the time to see what they have already posted. The question of how much was best answered by SMP recently. This is as good of an answer to that as anyone can give.

Yuri

cbpagent72

I have flown RC helicopters for a few years and I have a few cameras that I use as a hobby. I appreciate your critique of my idea, it is always good to hear the negatives and positives which is the reason why I am feeling it out right now and researching the pros and cons. I work full time so this will be mainly a part time business but I see this as a way to start a business and to do things that I already love doing but to actually make money doing it.

Str8 Up

There are many with the same thoughts you have. What most don't understand is that once the regulations are in place, it is very, very unlikely your equipment investment and business will be permitted to operate legally. Powerful forces are lobbying for requirements that are estimated at several hundred thousand dollars to meet initial compliance. These forces will get their way. Items like full size commercial ratings, airworthiness certs, parts traceabllity, sense and avoid tech and much, much, more. Anyone who thinks that they will be able to use hobby grade equipment to earn a living in the brave new commercial UAV world is in for a big surprise.

KaspInc

I'm in Canada and flying legally with Transport Canada approval and all the proper permits. My day rate starts and $3200 and we are very busy. I make the client rent and insure the Epic and give it to us a day before to mount it.

jforkner

Have you done any market research on the need for this kind of service? What you charge will likely be what the market will bear. With no competition and high demand you can charge more than lots of competition and low demand. What someone charges in one part of the country may not translate to your part. I've seen this question asked periodically, and am surprised at some of the fees reportedly being charged---they'd never apply to my rural area.

Jack

KaspInc

I have done market research. Where my rates are now I loose the majority of inquiries and get just enough to stay busy. Because of this I feel they are quite balanced for where I am and what I am using.

jforkner

I have done market research. Where my rates are now I loose the majority of inquiries and get just enough to stay busy. Because of this I feel they are quite balanced for where I am and what I am using.

Sorry, KaspInc, I wasn't clear. My comment was directed at the OP.

Jack