Best way to cut CF booms?

Kilby

Anyone have a recommendation for cutting 1mm walled carbon fiber booms? In the past, I've always used a small hand saw and a miter box, but that was for much smaller booms. These are 25mm outside.

Efliernz

Pete
I score mine with a model blade (rotate it in the mitre box - a helper is good) before using the mitre box.

I have also tried scoring it first, then rotated it slowly into a fine-tooth bandsaw against the direction of rotation. Works really well. WEAR A MASK AND GOGGLES!

Pete

tstrike

pendejo grande
I use a pipe cutter from home depot found in the plumbing section. Don't get the super small blue one trying to save a couple bucks. Turn and twist, turn and twist, don't rush it and don't put to much force on the twist or the tube gets a slight flange. I was just cutting some 15mm cf rails tonight, works great and no dust.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Terry,

I use a wet tile saw with a diamond blade. With them taped together, four at a time can be cut very easily and the cut quality is excellent.

Give each tube a wrap of masking tape at the cut line to keep the edges from splintering.

Bart

Kilby

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks, Bart. I like the idea of doing these 4 at a time.

T-Strike, I think I'll grab one of those pipe cutters in the meantime. I like the idea of cutting without a load of dust. That stuff is nasty!

Terry,

I use a wet tile saw with a diamond blade. With them taped together, four at a time can be cut very easily and the cut quality is excellent.

Give each tube a wrap of masking tape at the cut line to keep the edges from splintering.

Bart

Efliernz

Pete
In a recent 1000 build, I used a cut-off wheel in a Dremel Moto Tool. Dropped through 'em like butter.

...but you get carbon dust everywhere.

I agree - I had done it that way too but it looks like the experts know the best ways... eh Bart ;)

Pete

Bartman

i don't know about that! learning every day is all I can say.

I happen to have a wet saw from my days as a carpenter/remodeler so I gave it a try and it worked pretty well. THere is still the potential to get minor splintering on the insides of the tubes but it can be cleaned up with an xacto knife.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I use a bandsaw that has coolant. It cuts it like butter. Very minor splintering on the inside. I think the hack saw is the best bet for the money. The pipe cutter is an absolute no no. Pipe cutters need to put intense pressure on the tube in order for it to cut.

Kilby

I use a bandsaw that has coolant. It cuts it like butter. Very minor splintering on the inside. I think the hack saw is the best bet for the money. The pipe cutter is an absolute no no. Pipe cutters need to put intense pressure on the tube in order for it to cut.

Thanks, Yuri. I was thinking the same thing about the cutter after I thought about it. I'm going to give the hacksaw a try.

Bartman

Thanks, Yuri. I was thinking the same thing about the cutter after I thought about it. I'm going to give the hacksaw a try.

the hacksaw will work fine. if you can, head to the hardware store and buy blades with a high tooth count (teeth per inch), they'll cut better. masking tape at the cut line still helps reduce fraying. carbon fiber splinters are a mutha'.

bart

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
also when poss wet the cut to keep fibers down

reminds me when working with fiber glass insulation at work itches like a mutha

if you get the itchys wash off with cold water as hot or warm water opens the pores in ya skin and lets the fibers in and iching lasts longer

just another tip from experience

keith

Last edited by a moderator:

CrashMaster

Ceramic wet tile cutter is the best option.... Besides I have 3 in the garage: my son is a commercial floor tiler. The cut is also perfect with no splintering.
If you don't have one get a local tradesman and I have no doubt they would do it for minimal costs, if any.

Bartman

update;;;;;

my dad has my tile saw and i needed to cut some tubing today. i tried a tile disc on my 4" angle grinder and, for the heck of it, i tried a 4" metal cut-off disc. the cut-off disc actually did a better job with zero splintering on the inside of the tube. I've had some issues with interior splintering when i use the tile saw.

the next step will be to buy a small angle grinder stand

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-1-2-Angle-Grinder-Stand/G8183

and see if i can cut tubing consistently and without having to square up the ends on my disc sander.

just thought all y'all might like to hear another option that has been tried successfully.

Kilby

I ended up using a compound miter saw on my last build and it worked surprisingly well. No splinters at all, I just taped the outside first before the cut.

Model rocketry hobby has provided a vast range of solutions for cutting tubes and precisely drilling holes in tubes for a number of years.... more recently moving to the home manufacturing of tubing and plate material using carbon fiber, fiberglass Kevlar and other composites..... Just join here at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CompositeRockets/ .... also many ideas and warning regarding the health related risks if carbon fiber, polyester and epoxy resins etc. typically the composite materials are specific to the more recent hobby called HPR - High Power Rocketry......

Last edited by a moderator: