DJI Naza FPV Flip On Latest Firmware?

I was on my 6th battery at the flying field practicing fpv and it suddenly did a slow right roll - had the goggles on so I only saw what you see here in this very short clip. Has anyone in this community personally seen this or heard about it with Naza M. I'm relatively new to this system, also fly with Hoverfly Pro which does not quite have the capabilities of Naza GPS (yet) but has a more rock solid feel in wind. This is about 3 minutes into the flight. It was windy. I'm flying a home built carbon fiber "H"Quad. It was in GPS mode at the time. Course lock was off. GPS and return to home functions were very accurate both before and after the crash which thankfully only busted some props. I have not been able to duplicate it since. Did I maybe lose transmitter signal for a moment?

If no answers then I guess it isn't a known problem with the system.

Thanks very much for your time in advance.

<span class="watch-page-link"><a target="_blank" href="http://youtu.be/dbhZB5uEZJM">

Last edited by a moderator:

STI-REX

Gettin Old
It sounds like the motors stopped near the end

Also make sure that you check your props are tight before each and every pack as 2 of them naturally try to undo unless you have counter clockwise threaded prop adaptors on those 2 motors

I haven't had that, but on takeoff yesterday my F450 flipped on takeoff. As it was trying to get off the ground, I saw it start to tilt and I was trying to arrest the tilt by rolling the other direction but to no avail. It flipped to the left even though I had full right command. It basically was like it was ignoring my command. A little later I was flying it like normal, but it puzzled me.

Dewster

I haven't had that, but on takeoff yesterday my F450 flipped on takeoff. As it was trying to get off the ground, I saw it start to tilt and I was trying to arrest the tilt by rolling the other direction but to no avail. It flipped to the left even though I had full right command. It basically was like it was ignoring my command. A little later I was flying it like normal, but it puzzled me.

If you're a "fresh player" then you need to give it more throttle on takeoff. Don't milk it. You have to pop it up in the air and it will stabilize itself.

Make sure your props are going in the correct direction.

Also make sure that the little hole on the IMU is not blocked.

Dewster, agreed. I have to admit that during my first 2 takeoffs with my F450 that was the case for me, but hasn't happened in the 3 months since, and was not the case yesterday. This was like the 5th flight of the day, followed by another 4 takeoffs by the Naza [new takeoff mode]. Oddly enough, earlier in the day in the same rocky/cliffs area I was flying, right after takeoff the F450 tookoff as needed and proceeded to hover (as expected during the takeoff mode), but then promptly ignored all pitch/roll commands and started to drift off the ledge where I was standing and had taken off from. I had to reach out before it got out of my reach, and pull it back over the ledge, and do a CSC. One minute later it took off just fine again.

Thanks ProWB. It certainly does put a little doubt in your head but I have to believe it's not the NAZA M. LOL, yeah, I'm certainly not in the "fresh" category either, Dewster. Flew again today but upped the gains about 50 on both roll and tilt. No problems. It may have been too low gain setting combined with high winds.

It sounds like the motors stopped near the end

Also make sure that you check your props are tight before each and every pack as 2 of them naturally try to undo unless you have counter clockwise threaded prop adaptors on those 2 motors

Thanks STI-REX. I cut the power when it started to roll, then turned off the transmitter hoping for a miracle return to home. Flew today with no problems but upped the gains a bit.

Earl, sorry if it sounded like I was blaming the NAZA. I agree that it was probably something external to the NAZA, and those two minor incidences amongst weeks and weeks of perfect flying just cast a little doubt about my setup and what might have caused that. I could very well have been operator error as well, but when I'm sliding the stick full right and it continues to fly left, I tend to think it was something in the phase of the moon or something... lol

Resolution

For all those who followed this thread: I finally tore the whole copter apart and found a cold solder joint where control wires meet the power board. It looked fine but when I yanked on it the whole glob came loose. This was after a few instances of the quad just losing power mid air and dropping like a rock. Luckily I was stress testing at low altitude on grass so no harm done to the quad.

janpirate

its also happens to me... my FLIP FPV quad suddenly flip..

using DJI Naza-M V2 with GPS
TBS motor 900KV
graupner props

lucky only lost one landing gear

Janpirate, why did you continue your flight as long as you did? After the first 2 or 3 jerks to the right that you saw, I would have landed it and begun debugging the aircraft. It seems like you had an intermittent motor problem that finally just gave out.
Glad you only broke one landing gear. Hope you find the root of the problem.
BTW, cool pirate tshirt... goes with your screen name. ;)

Flips are caused by pilot/builder inattention and just plain "stuff happens" but pretty much never by the flight control board. I was driving the quad pretty hard fpv at the same flying field last week in strong wind and it flipped again. I am still going through it to determine why but I think the gains were set too high for that much wind. One of the instructional videos on NAZA WIKI alluded to the fact that that gains need to be adjusted up and down for conditions. Not that easy in the field since you can't have all of the gains tied to your transmitter knobs at the same time (NAZA engineers are you reading this?) and who wants to carry their laptop around.

janpirate

Janpirate, why did you continue your flight as long as you did? After the first 2 or 3 jerks to the right that you saw, I would have landed it and begun debugging the aircraft. It seems like you had an intermittent motor problem that finally just gave out.
Glad you only broke one landing gear. Hope you find the root of the problem.
BTW, cool pirate tshirt... goes with your screen name. ;)

i think it was normal because i just yaw to the left... i just expect it might caused by unbalance battery position....
its happens suddenly... 3 factors need to have a look

1. i just increase all Basic gain and all attitude gain by 10% .... might be this one of the problem...
2. also need to look both left side motors...
3. motor extension cables have gap... maybe humidity on that area? tropical jungle :p

hahaha that shirt bought last summer when i was in NY .the journey tooks 22 hours flight from home :dejection:

janpirate

Flips are caused by pilot/builder inattention and just plain "stuff happens" but pretty much never by the flight control board. I was driving the quad pretty hard fpv at the same flying field last week in strong wind and it flipped again. I am still going through it to determine why but I think the gains were set too high for that much wind. One of the instructional videos on NAZA WIKI alluded to the fact that that gains need to be adjusted up and down for conditions. Not that easy in the field since you can't have all of the gains tied to your transmitter knobs at the same time (NAZA engineers are you reading this?) and who wants to carry their laptop around.

do you expect it might caused by attitude gain or basic gain?