What video cams do you guys use

Mickyt

Hi all, i currently fly a TBS Disco with Gopro HD Hero 2 whilst this is ok for buzzing around and doing the odd vid, i'm now looking to build a Droidwork's ADX3-HL this year at some point to take more serious vids not professionally,or for sale or reward but just for me to play around with and see what i can achieve.

So my question is with all the dSLR's and video camera's out there what do you guy's use ? i did come across what i thought was quite niffty the black magic pocket cam, small light compact but dont know if it would be any good for multi's.

cheers for now
mick

tombrown1

As far as video we are big fans of the Sony PJ710V or anything with Sony's Balanced Optical Steady Shot because of it's lens stabilization. If you're looking for the best overall quality, the Panasonic GH3 is pretty amazing, though the Black Magic is also promising. If you use either of those though you will need a VERY high quality gimbal to get steady footage.

Tom

Mickyt

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your reply to my question i guess my next would be could i achieve video like your's with a Droidworx ADX-3 HL coaxial multi or is it best to go Hex or Octo?.
My reason for the ADX-3HL is simply transportation and coaxial is ability to save if i lost a prop,motor,esc but i did also consider an X8 again for transportation but i guess these would be limited to smallish gimbal's.

Mick

tombrown1

Coaxial does better in the wind, but isn't as efficient. Also the props hang lower on a coax so you're more likely to get a prop in your shot. Our next build is going to be a flat octo - it gives the most redundancy, good flight times, and can carry a large payload for upgrade possibilities. You can lose two props on an octo and still be ok.

TB

Mickyt

Hi Tom,

Thank's again for the reply yeah i can see why most would choose an Octo because of the better protection should you lose a prop even two, it's the sheer size that is the issue not sure i'd get one in the back of my volvo v50 not knowing anyone here in the UK that is local to me to try one out in the back of the car.
Look's like some serious thinks has to be done now.

Mick

tombrown1

Figure 900-1000 mm for the octo and just measure your car.

X8 is ax excellent platform - just hang your gimbal a bit lower to get the props out of the picture.

Mickyt

I did think x8 having seen a guy lose a motor i barely noticed it whilst watching his video it was only his commentary that gave the game away, i'll have a measure up see what will go and what wont i think octo would be easier to set up than an X8 having read some of the problems if the motor's and props arnt set correctly they do some strange things.

Mick