Dear John...I mean DJI...

janoots2

LOL, my apologies...I guess my American brain is having a hard time adapting. l'll get there soon enough, somehow I don't think i'll have a choice.

However it would behoove a company selling products around the world to be culture sensitive. I am also a proud owner of a Nova.

Last edited by a moderator:

olof

Osprey
Bear in mind there are far more Chinese than Americans/Europeans etc..

So maybe we should be the ones that have to be sensitive.

This is all in good fun, no insult intended.

janoots2

Even if the two colors were changed to something other than red/green it would be more universal. Or...just label them x+, x-, y+, y-, z+, z- and do away with the colors. No big deal but the connotation between red/green and negative/positive definitely throws my brain for a loop when calibrating. Have to triple check it and even then I still leave wondering if its correct.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have less of an issue with the color than I do the fact it is opposite of every CAD/VFX software I have ever used. +X goes to the right,+Y goes up, Z can vary.

Tim Green

I have less of an issue with the color than I do the fact it is opposite of every CAD/VFX software I have ever used. +X goes to the right,+Y goes up, Z can vary.
Hmmm - if I remember rightly (retired now) the country that makes the stuff, gets to set the standards ... so who's making the stuff these days? I wonder. But, have to admit, I had it wrong for a bit, due to the red/green reversal (North American culture). Caught myself, before I actually flew. However, some have said you can fly with all 0s in those 3 fields, and it flies just fine. Haven't tried that myself.

dazzab

Bear in mind there are far more Chinese than Americans/Europeans etc..
So maybe we should be the ones that have to be sensitive.

From the source of all information, Wikipedia:

The total population of all 53 countries of the Commonwealth is 1.975 billion. This is about 31 % of the population of the whole world.
The population of China is around 1.3 billion.

RobertsUp

Remember that the Chinese read sentences from right to left. Don't know what side of the road the Chinese drive. A famous American geologist studying asteroid craters in Australia forgot where he was and was killed while driving on the wrong side of the road. Thank goodness Canadians and US people and Mexicans all drive on the same side of the road. Imagine if they didn't.

The Chinese and Japanese read top to bottom, Right to Left. In Taiwan and China they drive on the right, in Japan on the left. I grew up in Japan and still occasionally open books from the "Right" side. :) Red ink is never used to write a persons name since that is the color used to write their name in the graveyard. Just as most westerners do not care for the number 13, "4" in Japanese is a homophone for death. Cultural differences are interesting....

janoots2

We'll I guess we're better off than Japanese users who have DJI inscribed into their WKM's in red.

RobertsUp

Has Chinese economic strength become so strong that they can overwhelm all the other innovators in the field of hobbies? Hobbyking, Goodluckbuy, etc. Not just DJI. Innovators in other countries seem to be falling behind the Chinese juggernaut. The mainland manufactures and Hong Kong distributes. Now there's word that the Chinese have hacked the defense secrets of many weapon systems used in other countries. It's a brave new world.