Anyone using the Martinez board

DennyR

Those really nice people at Iflight just sent me a couple of their new GBM5209 motors. WOW these things are monsters. just right for those big cameras.
Also got a Martinez board that seems to work just fine straight out of the box, however I cant get it to load the latest code as I get the dreaded upload message avrdude stk500_ getsync:not in sync:resp0x00 Without communication I cant tune it.
Anyone else had this problem:upset:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Not sure if you're aware of this or not, the Martinez GUI only works with the lower single digit comm port numbers so if you're connecting the board and it shows up as 9 or higher you should go into system management and change it to a lower number, I set mine to 2 and then it worked. That said I've heard some people are having issues with loading the just released beta, if that's the version you're trying to load you may want to use the previous version until they get the beta sorted. Most recent known good I think is .48...

Ken

tstrike

pendejo grande
Hi Denny, I had that same problem and it ended up I hadn't deleted the drivers in windows. This is from a thread on rcg...

1. Plug in your device (board)
  2. Open device manager in windows. (from command prompt >devmgmt).
  3. Find the two devices. One will be under USB Serial Bus Controllers, the other under Ports. Double click on the device, select the driver tab, click Uninstall. A confirmation box will pop up, select the box "Delete the driver software for this device." then click OK.
  4. After you have them both removed, unplug the device.
  5. Disable windows from downloading drivers automatically: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx
  6. Plug in your device (board)
  7. After driver installation fails, find the device in device manager and update the driver using the location of where you extracted your older driver. The driver contains two INF files, one is for the adapter, one is for the port. Install the adapter driver first, then the port will appear and you can install the driver for that from the same driver folder.

here's the open source gimbal thread...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1829058&page=83

Haven't tried my board yet but at least the gui recognizes it (I'm on .48)

DennyR

Thanks for that, It is definitely a driver problem. 48 is the last version that works it would appear. I have three different boards now so it will be interesting to see if anything is better than the Viacopter one... CSG finally croaked completely as I can see internal shorts in the board itself.

Ken how do you rate the Martinez?

It would seem that the IMU works upside down? In my experience with the Viacopter board the performance is very much linked to the accuracy of the calibration. reliable stuff gravity....

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Been chasing Upside Down IMU Calibration for enough days that I put it down and went to work on another project. Can you guys point me to the Martinez GUI/Wiki?? Martinez not compatible w Alex 2.0 (thx for the commport tip - I'm on 20 currently that little tip just saved me hours of future pain).

PS. Can anybody share the correct sequence including calib_acc /write actions for advanced calibration?? Cant seem to get a definitive anywhere...

Efliernz

Pete
Good answers :)
I have had the board for a while but with limited (no) info when I got it, I have done other projects in the mean time. This morning I thought 'yes, I have all the paperwork, drivers, 048 all ready' and off I went reflash the 046 supplied board with 048. Hmmmffff I need the Arduino FTDI cable and all I have is the 6-pin AVRisp V2.

I'll order the FTDI cable and hopefully get mine going later in the week.

Pete

DennyR

My martinez board is working great, so is the Alexmos, I cant say at this stage which I prefer. Not tried the 49 code yet but they seem to be the same thing achieved in different ways. The drivers were a bit of a headache for the Martinez but if you are having difficulty with Win-7 then you have to disable "let Windows choose driver"

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
My martinez board is working great, so is the Alexmos, I cant say at this stage which I prefer. Not tried the 49 code yet but they seem to be the same thing achieved in different ways. The drivers were a bit of a headache for the Martinez but if you are having difficulty with Win-7 then you have to disable "let Windows choose driver"

I really like the Alexmos on the 2.0 firmware, especially now that the annoying motor squeal is gone. Haven't done nearly as much work with the Martinez board, that will change as soon as the second RCT gimbal arrives. There's only so much you can do with the same processor and driver chips, all comes down to creativity and coding technique at that point and that's pretty much where brushless are at right now, waiting for someone to advance into the world of 32 bit and more powerful drivers...

Ken

Boltzman

Hi! Where can you download the GUI which is an executable file? Which FW version to use? I have the RC timer board and cannot find the right GUI and FW combo? Thanks

Boltzman

DennyR

One thing I find a bit strange with the Martinez is that it does not like facing straight down for some reason Tried a few different ways to calibrate it, but don't seem to be able to find a way. I did also try swapping the IMU's over and it's not compatible with Alexmos.