Powerlab 6, 6S lipo charge problem.

kemmy

Hi there. I have 2x 6S 10000mah LiPo's that I want to charge for my octocopter but for some reason I can't charge them. When I try to charge them in FMA wiring mode it gives me the "bad cell count, node wiring FMA" error. I'm not that technical , especially when it comes to lipo's and chargers. Could someone please tell me whats the correct way to charge these lipos? I was trying to charge one lipo and I did manage to set it for 1 lipo from the powerlab6. I added a photo so that you can see my setup for charging it. I soldered a EC5 connector for the lipo connection to the charging board. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

ps: Yes I did read the manual for the powerlab6 but its like another language to me , thats why I need help for "dummies" style. I don't know what type of charge or discharge rate I should set the lipo. There is no info that came with my lipo what rates I should charge or use to set my chargers. Any help regarding that would be helpful too.
smile.gif

View attachment 11923

Attachments

• 6SLIPO.jpg
    6SLIPO.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 470

Maverick

Hi there. I have 2x 6S 10000mah LiPo's that I want to charge for my octocopter but for some reason I can't charge them. When I try to charge them in FMA wiring mode it gives me the "bad cell count, node wiring FMA" error. I'm not that technical , especially when it comes to lipo's and chargers. Could someone please tell me whats the correct way to charge these lipos? I was trying to charge one lipo and I did manage to set it for 1 lipo from the powerlab6. I added a photo so that you can see my setup for charging it. I soldered a EC5 connector for the lipo connection to the charging board. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

ps: Yes I did read the manual for the powerlab6 but its like another language to me , thats why I need help for "dummies" style. I don't know what type of charge or discharge rate I should set the lipo. There is no info that came with my lipo what rates I should charge or use to set my chargers. Any help regarding that would be helpful too.
smile.gif

View attachment 15177

Hi kemmy,

I have the same charger and parallel charging board as you. You need to go into the Powerlab 6 menu, and change the "Node Connector" settings from "FMA" to "XH/EH WIRING".

If you don't have the info on your particular lipo, it is safe to stick with a 1C charge rate. Connect both lipos to charging board, and use the 1st charge menu, which is Lipo Accurate Charge, then select, "Parallel Packs", (set to 2P) then a 1C charge rate - A1.0C - basically this charger does all the working out for you, so just keep pressing ENTER.

Maverick.

kemmy

Oh thx for the advice Maverick. After I switched to xh/eh wiring it worked and like you said I just pressed enter and enter and enter after doing that :) My only questions are , at one point it asked me decimal per cell or something like that and it had 2 options which was 2 or 3. 2 was selected as default so I left it like that and my second question is when it asked what lower power sply was I assume its my power adaptors output feed which in A its 28A max and in V 13.8V so thats what I've set them. Now lets wait and see. Looking forward to hear my 6 beep sound :) letting me know its charged.

ps:thx again for the advice :)

Maverick

Oh thx for the advice Maverick. After I switched to xh/eh wiring it worked and like you said I just pressed enter and enter and enter after doing that :) My only questions are , at one point it asked me decimal per cell or something like that and it had 2 options which was 2 or 3. 2 was selected as default so I left it like that and my second question is when it asked what lower power sply was I assume its my power adaptors output feed which in A its 28A max and in V 13.8V so thats what I've set them. Now lets wait and see. Looking forward to hear my 6 beep sound :) letting me know its charged.

ps:thx again for the advice :)

kemmy,

The decimal point is not important, just personal preference.

At Low Sply Limit : cutoff voltage should be about 50% lower than the power supply's nominal output voltage. E.g. For 24v supply, set it to 12v. For 12v supply, set it to 6v.

At the Supply Current Limit, set it to slightly lower than power source's current output capability - for yours, I would pick 26 or 27.

You will also have to set this up for if you ever power charger from a lead acid battery, instead of your DC Power Supply.

Maverick.

kemmy

Thanks again Maverick. I have one last question. I noticed it was charging a little slow, I charged it over 30mins and it only went from 3.8V to 4.2V so I changed the A1C to 3C but then it seemed like nothing changed :( Is there a way to speed things up in a safe way ? On my battery it says 25-50C , don't know what it means when it comes to charging it. This is the battery I bought and its a heavy duty one so I suppose it can handle quicker charging methods. But would like your advice first.

http://quadcopter.heliguy.com/Extras/Batteries/Heliguy-Whitelabel-Rechargeable-6S-10000mAh-22.2V/

edit-1: I just used a cellmeter I bought which can individually measure the cells V and they are roughly 4.2 V and my charger said charging finished. When I measure the total V for the lipo its about 25V , how can that be possible ? I mean to over charge . My lipo says its 22.2V. Is this when I need to discharge ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

Thanks again Maverick. I have one last question. I noticed it was charging a little slow, I charged it over 30mins and it only went from 3.8V to 4.2V so I changed the A1C to 3C but then it seemed like nothing changed :( Is there a way to speed things up in a safe way ? On my battery it says 25-50C , don't know what it means when it comes to charging it. This is the battery I bought and its a heavy duty one so I suppose it can handle quicker charging methods. But would like your advice first.

http://quadcopter.heliguy.com/Extras/Batteries/Heliguy-Whitelabel-Rechargeable-6S-10000mAh-22.2V/

edit-1: I just used a cellmeter I bought which can individually measure the cells V and they are roughly 4.2 V and my charger said charging finished. When I measure the total V for the lipo its about 25V , how can that be possible ? I mean to over charge . My lipo says its 22.2V. Is this when I need to discharge ? :)

kemmy,

22.2v is 3.7v per cell, times 6 cells. In a proper world, when you have finished flying, and lipo has cooled, each cell should be 3.7v / 22.2v total.

When you fully charged your lipo, it IS FULLY charged at 4.2v per cell - 25.2v total. When it's nearly fully charged, charging current will decrease to balance the cells properly. Let it complete its process.

25-50C is the discharge rate of your battery, e.g. When your flying! It can handle 25C discharge normally, with up to 50C discharge for up to maybe 8 second bursts.

When not using your batteries, it's very important to store them in "Storage Mode" - 3.86v per cell. Otherwise, you will shorten the life of the battery. Don't leave them fully charged OR fully discharged for long periods.

Maverick.