S800 Retracts problem

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Although this has been mentioned in the 'Rant' thread I want to cast the net again in my search for a solution, since the dïckjerks at DJI are prevaricating and wasting time over pennies.

The issue is that, although they apparently worked normally when first installed (a few weeks ago) since the upgrade to the IMU.v2 the S800 retracts have become unreliable. They work every time on the ground (supported off the ground, of course) but in flight they may work once - it might be smooth or it might be juddery and hesitant - or, most of the time, they don't work at all. And yet, land it and immediately support it off the ground and they work perfectly!

Could it be a voltage drop when in the air? Who knows. If it is, why did they originally work?

My question is to those who have the S800 retracts. When you activate them, i.e. make them go up, does the little LED on the retract control board change momentarily from green to red? Coz mine does.

If everyone else's green LED stays green then this could be pointing towards a faulty board.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
HELLO?

S800 RETRACTS OWNERS?

WHERE ARE YOU?

Do me a favour please and check to see if the green LED turns red for a couple of seconds when the legs are going up.

ChrisViperM

Just saw your thread right now....I am on my way out for some weekend-shopping, but will return in a few hours. I will check the "red-light-district" once I am back....but can only do it on the ground.....the bird is a bit ripped apart for IMU V2 implant. I guess you want to know the reaction with the V2 ???

Chris

Davidhippo

I've just got my s800 flying in the last week and hve been a bit pre-occoupied with trying to remove the vibrations.

Tried the retracts for the first time yesterday.... Suspended the system at home and tested it, worked perfectly.

Took it to the field and got it airbourne, threw the switch and nothing. Landed, checked light; still green. Tried again... nothing. Light is now flashing green, which according to the manual means the leg travel needs re-calibrating. Haven't had chance to do any re-calibrating yet, but will report back once I have and will check out the red light situation too.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I've just got my s800 flying in the last week and hve been a bit pre-occoupied with trying to remove the vibrations.

Tried the retracts for the first time yesterday.... Suspended the system at home and tested it, worked perfectly.

Took it to the field and got it airbourne, threw the switch and nothing. Landed, checked light; still green. Tried again... nothing. Light is now flashing green, which according to the manual means the leg travel needs re-calibrating. Haven't had chance to do any re-calibrating yet, but will report back once I have and will check out the red light situation too.

Absolutely and precisely word-for-word what happened with mine when they went sour !!

So DJ(erks)I, what do you say to THAT now? I'm not the only one.

A bad batch of boards maybe?

I know, why don't you issue a version 2 and charge us a discounted $300 for it?

ChrisViperM

Can't get that damn thing ready tody....but while fiddling on the rig, one thing come to my mind :

What if you just cut out the retract board by connecting the two servos via a Y-cable directly to the receiver channel which controlls the retract action. As far as I am aware the board just has some "safety" - features and is not really necessary. By setting the end-points correctly that should work, and the receiver should deliver enough juice for the servos.
The Seacraft retracts work the same way, they don't use any circuit bord in between. I know, that's not the way it is supposed to work, but at least you can use it.....and got the proof for a faulty board. If confronted with that, DJI wouldn't have a leg to stand on.....

Chris

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well that is something to bear in mind. It would mean replacing the separate BEC and remote switch to apply power in the air as I had before on the Secrafts to avoid any possibility of the retracts operating on the ground when the LiPo's are connected (which the Secrafts did now and then!).

Still waiting for news from other S800 users on the LED's momentary change to red - talking of whom WTF are you all? There must be hundreds of you. Would you mind contributing here please?

But in the meantime, here are more questions. Because, as this is the only S800 retract set I have ever seen I have no idea whether ANY of its behaviour is standard or not.

1. During calibration do the legs move from fully down to fully up and back? Mine just do a little twitch. They move up perhaps half an inch before returning to the fully down position. First the right leg twitches, then the left and after that the LED turns green.

2. What sort of tension should the springs be? There is no guidance in the setup manual. I have them set so that in the fully up position the slack is removed.

So,
S800 with retracts owners, that is THREE answers I am looking for:

Does the green LED turn red for two seconds when the legs go up?
How far do the legs travel during calibration
?
Degree of spring tension?

Last edited by a moderator:

blushoes

hi.

i havent tried flying and retracting the legs yet. assumed it would work. thanks for sharing that it may not.

suspended by hand above ground, the LED turns red for about 1+ seconds then back to green when the legs go up. (definitely not 2 seconds)
i did not do any calibration...i recall when i bought my unit, it said something like if u already have servos installed, the unit is calibrated already.
my springs are installed to the ring clamp, and the ring clamp is installed halfway on the length of the leg

will try out a flight when i can and post my results.

btw, i am on IMU v1

Davidhippo

Don't think I mentioned it last time but I'm on IMU v2 - Re-calibrated the legs yesterday by suspending the copter again and following the method explained in the manual. Flew it this morning and the legs worked perfectly. Tried them a number of times during the 12 minute flight and even tested the fail safe (switching off the gimbal tx) which was spot on as well.

Now if I can get rid of the high frequency vibrations, I'll be a very happy bunny!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
What about the amount of travel during calibration?

The legs on mind move no more than half an inch. Is this standard or are the legs supposed to travel to their end stops during the calibration procedure?

Davidhippo

Hi Mombasa.

Yes, during calibration the legs only moved about an inch. I thought there was something wrong, but the light went green and then the retracts worked perfectly.

Sorry, forgot to check the red flash, will report back next time I fly.

atomkind

I just installed the IMU v2 and my retracts work normally. Could not do a longer testflight because of bad weather.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I just installed the IMU v2 and my retracts work normally. Could not do a longer testflight because of bad weather.

Well done for bringing us that report in such miserable weather conditions!

Well, true to my record for buying faulty gear, it seems like I have bought the 'lemon' retracts. They are still the same - they work on the ground but not in the air. It is a mystery.

DJI have stopped responding to emails. A$$holes.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well, DJI did finally step up to the mark and they have replaced the retracts. So far the replacements are functioning correctly but that has only been two flights. I will try to wear them out next time.

hi,
I have a customer with an S800 skid. The skid wont retract on the ground or air. We have checked the servos and they are working fine. We are getting a green flashing LED. We carry out the travel calibration and the LED changes from the yellow to a solid green but the skid wont retract. When we then power it down and up again we go back to green flashing LED. The control broad is a new one so i can understand what is going wrong. Any help would be great.\thanks Damien