DJI has released the new firmware v3.12 for Naza-M

CrashMaster

It is worth noting that despite the problems with my F550 my Phantom flies perfectly with v3.12 firmware. It is stock too including TX but has a 2 axis stabilisation gimbal for a GoPro 3, 5.8ghz downlink and CF props 8045s.
It flies very well and retains it's GPS locked position for a full flight with little movement in a 12-15 mph wind. It also appears that the flight times have improved slightly over V3.10 too but not as good as the previous version. This may be due to the system making more adjustments in flight to maintain better altitude and GPS position. Flight times dropped from 13 mins now 11 mins. (note: that every flight is logged along with Lipo pre-flight and post flight data and Lipo charge data)

I was also going to play with the pots on the back of the DJI Tx to see if I can control the pitch of the gimbal in flight too.

photobobga

My experience has been great with the new upgrade.

My F550 is stock with a gimbal, landing gear and NEX5. Using a 5000 4S 70C battery, last flight was 8.5 minutes. Graupner 10x4.7 blades. I've settled on the following 170, 170, 150, 160 130, 130 My only variable has been the GPS settings. The sensor is mounted center on the aircraft... I've tested the Z input from, started with -5cm, went to 5cm and now using 0cm. The center of balance is about 3 cm below the lower plate. Did two projects yesterday and everything went well. Gimbal servos are next on the list to upgrade. I not getting smooth video no matter what I adjust the gain control at. Current settings are 18 15 at 200hz. I've been told that replacing the current servos with Hitech 7245 MH will help. Next stop... a brushless 2 axis setup for the NEX 5. Any help on this would be appreciated.
FYI using the skyrover gimbal and landgear
http://skyrover.us/products/skyrover-mini-pro-gimbal-mount-landing-gear-system/

Texrotor

Oh My God !!!! This looks like a quality product! Look, I am just getting into this world of flying. The reason I stayed away was because of the junk that was and is still out there. And I agree photobobga "It's not a hobby (and may I add ) if you are TRYING to make a living at it" Thank you.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Been flying with the V3.12 firmware since it was available but I rebuilt the Naza from my 450 quad into a new TBS Discovery frame late last week and flew on Sunday and it is flying great on the old setting except the low voltage cutout is coming on way too early now, it was a cold day around 4-5 degree C so may have had an impact. I recalibrated the voltage but made it worse, was left with about 40% and then 57% or so after the calibration.

Anyone else seen this happen?

Okay so this was well answered in another thread, but I must have had different settings and the new firmware seems to have reset those settings and I can't remember what I had set them to.

Cheers

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Just installed and tested with the 3.12, works ok on mine, but I had to re-calibrate my GPS. Flies ok, nothing weird to report on my end at this time. F550 Heavy, stock ESCs and Motors.

Texrotor

41f is not that cold for these. Mr Gilbert takes his out at 32f and has no problem........ wait if you refer to the Gopro ads they are flying in colder weather than you !

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
So the GoPro ads were using Naza equipt multi's, wicked.

I don't think that cold was the problem, I think it may have reset to defaults and I did not realise.

More peeved about the motor that died while testing the LVC settings.

Pete

Texrotor

Yes. Remember at the NAB Colin alluded to the fact that Gopro and DJI have been working together. Remember DJI is another way to sell more Gopro's. I mean a lot more.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
All another language to me, what is a NAB and just who is Colin?

And happy days, the motor is okay but the ESC is toast with jam with some peanut stuff on the side.

Pete

remsan

Hi!

I have the same problem here. I had before Naza assistant 2.02 with the beta firmware 3.00 on my F550. It worked very well, gain 100%, take off at 50%.
Updated the Naza assistant 2.12 with firmware 3.13. After arming the F550 the motors keep running low untill the 60% throttle when suddenly started to increase the speed.
Before that the revving of motors was keeping a lean curve from arming until hover. But not with the new firmware. It just starts to "jump" increase after 60% throttle.
I increased the gains up to 170% but the motors revving the same way, by jumping in speed after 60% of throttle. I didn't have the guts to lift of.

This is the test with the old release (firmware beta 3.00), gain at 100%.

The DJI Firmware Update farce is causing a serious dilemma for me, which may result in driving me away from DJI completely.....

My 3.12 firmware experience of being an un-paid beta testing for DJI firmware.

As I have reported here there was a serious problem with firmware 3.10 relating to retaining calibration settings so reverted back to previous. When I tested 3.12 last week there was a gibal issue which resulted in no gimbal control at all so reverted back. I had some spare time yesterday so tried again - the gimbal issue has now gone but no new firmware number still 3.12.... really DJI at least have the courtesy to number your updates fully - V3.12.1 may be appropriate.

Anyway I had a play today and the update went without a glitch but had problems gaining a hover at 50% throttle so no attitude hold:

1. Vertical gain wase set at 135 with the previous working firmware but no hover at 50% throttle with 3.12.1 so I decided to be logical and varied the gain back.
2. 100% - no take off until 88% throttle.
2. 150% and hover achieved at 66% throttle
3. 160 hover at 57%
4. 165 hover at 52% getting there
5. 163 hover at 50% but some serious wobble then disaster.

PeteDee,
NAB is the National Association of Broadcasters and at that tradeshow all kinds of new video technologies are on display, and this year featured a lot of aerial capture with the likes of DJI and other manufacturers present. Colin is the CEO of DJI North America so he was present demoing new DJI equipment.

Remsan,
If i undersand your issue correctly that you are trying to describe, what you are seeing is the new Naza takeoff mode escribed in the new manuals, as well as the videos they provide for the new Naza. When you are arm the motors, they will stay at idle speeds until you go above 50%, then do a controlled level takeoff even on sloped terrain. It will jump off the ground about 3 feet then hover (presuming you don't have your throttle way up).

remsan

O dear, thanks a lot! I've watched now the videos :)... Stupid me :)

PeteDee,
NAB is the National Association of Broadcasters and at that tradeshow all kinds of new video technologies are on display, and this year featured a lot of aerial capture with the likes of DJI and other manufacturers present. Colin is the CEO of DJI North America so he was present demoing new DJI equipment.

Remsan,
If i undersand your issue correctly that you are trying to describe, what you are seeing is the new Naza takeoff mode escribed in the new manuals, as well as the videos they provide for the new Naza. When you are arm the motors, they will stay at idle speeds until you go above 50%, then do a controlled level takeoff even on sloped terrain. It will jump off the ground about 3 feet then hover (presuming you don't have your throttle way up).

lol... Happens to all of us. BTW, you will also notice a new mode blinking philosophy: you will see a double blink (yellow or green, depending on the mode) telling you if all four of you controls are not fully centered. Helps to gauge if the Naza thinks you're at 50% or not for holding altitude.

Texrotor

Colin Guinn Is the CEO for DJI America. The NAB, National Association of Broadcasters .....Big trade show for the industry, 92000 to 150000 people this year,almost bigger than the CES. But that is another story and a very important one. Colin if you are reading this reply please.

PilotMan

Ok..... Here are my observations:

Make sure you do the advanced calibration after the upgrade and calibrate your compass after as well. Check all your settings very carefully as some could have gone away during the update. TAKE OFF YOUR PROPS.... Found out the hard way that the props do come on for fraction of a second. Had my hand on it thankfully.

Make sure you really did the GPS puck location numbers correctly..... This is important to the way the unit reacts.

When the motors are started and while in Attitude or GPS mode nothing happens till around 60% when throttles jump up to lift off. Once at the altitude you want, back down to 50% and it should hold very nicely.

You can always take off in Manual mode if your an accomplished pilot.........!!!!!

None of the gains will make a difference as far as I know with the lift off maneuver accept for maybe the altitude tuning numbers....... But more for flight characteristics.

Look for the oscillations after you let go of the sticks from a hard maneuver.... If it over corrects then the number is too high. Obviously if the the number is ridiculously high it will do nothing but oscillate.

3.12 seems to fix the only issue I had which was a loss of GPS holding accuracy.

Hi!

I have the same problem here. I had before Naza assistant 2.02 with the beta firmware 3.00 on my F550. It worked very well, gain 100%, take off at 50%.
Updated the Naza assistant 2.12 with firmware 3.13. After arming the F550 the motors keep running low untill the 60% throttle when suddenly started to increase the speed.
Before that the revving of motors was keeping a lean curve from arming until hover. But not with the new firmware. It just starts to "jump" increase after 60% throttle.
I increased the gains up to 170% but the motors revving the same way, by jumping in speed after 60% of throttle. I didn't have the guts to lift of.

This is the test with the old release (firmware beta 3.00), gain at 100%.

I not getting smooth video no matter what I adjust the gain control at. Current settings are 18 15 at 200hz. I've been told that replacing the current servos with Hitech 7245 MH will help. Next stop... a brushless 2 axis setup for the NEX 5. Any help on this would be appreciated.
FYI using the skyrover gimbal and landgear
http://skyrover.us/products/skyrover-mini-pro-gimbal-mount-landing-gear-system/
Photobobga.
I updated my firmware to 3.10 and had a bad time of it.I upgraded to 3.12 - but waitied to see if anyone else had issues before I flight tested the new firmware on the F450.

Having no issues after flying 3 batteries, I upgraded the CX4 which has a gimbal (single axis Photohigher C1).

The flight was unremarkable. Smooth flight with no tendency to 'turn left' as I was experiencing previously (woo hoo).

Now about the gimbal. All previous flights up until 3.10 were rock solid and smooth with any wavering in the video caused by poor piloting skills. Not so with 3.12. The gimbal 'seems' solid while on the ground and even as the props are spooled in "idle" mode waiting for the take off sequence. Once in the air it 'jitters' up and down at a slow, but noticeable rate.

I'm hoping that the gimbal setting need only to be tweaked to sort this out, but it is frustrating to seemingly get the bugs out of the flight characteristics only to have them migrate to the gimbal.

If I come up with a setting that removes the jitters I'll post it here. Please do the same.

Dale.

focus97

After tonight I'm having the same as @rdalemercer. I have balanced Graupners, and got the upgrade and can verify flights were ok after upgrading, and just put on a new Arris CM2000 Gimbal. At first, it the video looks incredible. Smooth indeed. But there's a jitter that permeates the footage, not entirely consistently, but enough to ruin some otherwise stellar footage. I may downgrade to 2.x, as I'm not clear if this upgrade is really doing anything better except take-off (for which I didn't have an issue), and smoother descents.

If anyone has ideas I'd love to know.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
What gain settings are you using focus97?

My Arris CM2000 is in the mail, sent last night, the suspense is already building.......................