Naza V2 Firmware on Naza V1 Hardware

Tahoe Ed

This is a bummer. I hear about these problems caused by the new firmware, but the new takeoff and the much more stable flight is so nice, I'm stuck between downgrading or keeping it here. Hopefully they just release a 3.1.1 or something to fix these glitches.

Zeke, if it is working for you, keep flying it. Some are having issues based on their Tx and if they are in Intelligent Mode. I would go to Immediate Mode for the time being. Make sure you review what happens in this mode before you fly.

Oh! So the problem is in the Intelligent Mode for shutdown? Good to know. I just switched it to Intelligent yesterday after noticing it was in Immediate after the update. I didn't have any problems yesterday, but just to be safe, I'll switch back to Immediate. Go info!

CrashMaster

I think that the most obvious problem is the failure to record calibration data. That may be a write authority in the NAZA. However, the effect is that some have had no problems others have. The other reported problem is the automatic motor shutdown. If you drop the sticks to less than 10% for 3 seconds then the motors stop. You have 5 seconds to push up again to re-arm. However, because of the calibration problems some may have fallen fowl of this because their sticks are not calibrated to the NAZA correctly.

Note: I know, first hand there is a serious problem because I have one with no glitches and works perfectly and another I have reverted back because of the problems. It may be down to the version of V1 NAZA-M people have. The one working is older than the one which doesn't work. However, that tells me nothing because the one working is a Phantom with a DJI TX the one not working is an F550 with a Devo 12S an a Devo 10 RX.

This morning I woke up and looked at DJIs Facebook page and it seems they just posted a newer update and have fixed the bugs. You must download a newer version of the assistant software v2.12. And then it allows you install the latest as of today firmware v3.12. I just finished setup and I'm going to do some flight tests today. I have a dx7s using an AR8000 receiver. I will post back after tests.

Everyone who got the "no updates available" when trying to update was because they pulled the update to fix the TX calibration problems. Hopefully they fixed it with this update.

Be forewarned, though, that ChrisViper reports elsewhere on this forum that the new 3.12 version introduced an issue with the gimbal controls that wasn't there in v3.1.

CrashMaster

It not only removes gimbal stabilisation it reduces pitch, for the TX control for the gimbal to just 30 degrees.
It also does not allow TX calibration at all. When I try to calibrate the TX is disconnected and both NAZA and TX have to be re-booted to re-connect.
I am using a Devo 12S TX and Devo 10 RX.

Well I don't have a gimbal but that could be a problem.

A little about my rig. I started with a f450 and then I extended the arms with the long rctimer arms so now my copter is a 700mm size. I'm using stock dji opto esc and sunnysky 2216-800kv motors. Spinning 10x4.5 props. On 4s 5000 mah battery. AUW is about 1750grams. I did not adjust any gains after new firmware update. I run 210/210/120/100 basic gains and 75 on attitude gain. And I get about 12 mins of flight.

Firmware update flight test.

1) takeoff assist- it will not let you take off slowly. basically you have to advance throttle to near 50% then it leaps off the ground to about 8 feet AGL and hovers. If you want to hover lower, no problem it only does that initially during takeoff. It's a little weird a feeling and it kinda scared me the first time.

2) flight characteristics- one word "crisp" I don't know how they made a great thing better but they did. Turns seems more smooth and it feels less like the flight stabilization is trying to fight you in turns more bankable if that makes any sense. It feels sharper but still very stable. At medium speeds hard full stick stops were smoother and less altitude drop.

3) GPS acquires signal seemingly faster but I might be imagining things. I recently relocated my antenna so maybe that's why it acquires faster.

my conditions were 70 degrees F and no wind so I will have to test in heavier wind to see how it handles. My first impression is simply it just flys better. I'm kind of surprised DJI made this upgrade available to naza-m v1. I have flown different cheaper flight controllers like the rabbit and I would have to say naza is still the best. And still worth the money. Easiest to setup and use. Hopefully they have fixed all the bugs. I'm interested to see what other people are getting.

best,
bobby

Bobby, my experience is just like yours, though I fly the stock frame and smaller batteries. I have temporarily taken off my gimbal. I tried adjusting the games, that ended with the same values.
My report differs from yours only in two details:
1) Mine takes off and hovers at about 3 feet.
2) I flew mine twice on windy/gusty days (up to 20+ mph... news was reporting 22). -yes, I was trying to put it through the ringer.

cpmboy

manual

I haven't upgraded & test mine yet, maybe today hopefully, just want some confirmation on the manual/notes,

1. Which manual fully describe the function of the new 2.12 assistance and 3.12 fw....the 2.8 ver (naza m1) or the 1.04 ver (naza m2)?. Btw, mine (naza) is the 1st ver.

2. In the release notes, it mentioned (last part "notices")...."For safety reason, do not use power battery during firmware upgrade"..what does it mean?

E

Empire Support 2

The NazaM v3.10 and above unified the control system with Naza V1, V2 and Phantom. The new version v3.12 is for all three systems. I have used it with all three and it works. The V2 also works with the iOSD currently and will work with the Zen H3-D2 when available. The support for BT-LED will follow in the next 30 days.

Can we use iOSD on a naza-m v1 with 3.12 upgrades?
Yes you can. *However, it appears from tje new iOSD documentation that you have to buy the new PMU to connect it up.

In the release notes, it mentioned (last part "notices")...."For safety reason, do not use power battery during firmware upgrade"..what does it mean?
I believe it's saying to not have any battery power applied to the ESC/motors during the upgrade for safety reasons (ie props spinning up).

cpmboy

Ok, this is what I did just now,

1.Upgraded to 3.12 fw
2. Use all the old values with intelligent mode.
3. And.....I can't make it start (csc)........the LED are blinking yellow (fast) on all 3 modes (att/gps/manual)