Hoverfly My Brushless Gimbal

Aerovideo

I realize this isn't directly related to HF unless you count the fact that I'll be using one of my Pro boards as the FC for my new frame/gimbal from Quaternium. Hopefully the Pro board fits on the frame as the gimbal has a nice rail based vibration dampening system that bolts right onto their frame.

The gimbal came assembled and arrived today. I strapped my gopro to it, plugged in a battery, and away I went. It smoothed out my walking really well. Something that became apparent right away is that a 3rd "YAW" access stabilized gimbal would be even COOLER. But hopefully I won't have as many yaw issues on my HFPro based Spidex quad as I do hand holding and walking around.

Now I just need more time.... to build!

Oh, and where are the Tiger motors I ordered this weekend? I got a shipping notice for the gimbal from Spain that said it would be shipped on Monday. Same thing with the Motors coming from California. Oh well... ;)

Here's hoping to some smooth video!

View attachment 11585View attachment 11584

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 346

Aerovideo

Well it turns out the HFPro board won't fit :( Grrr... that thing doesn't fit hardly any frame unless they're gargantuan!

However, it has a bolt pattern for the sport board but alas with the angled headers I wouldn't be able to get any plugs into the board because the vibration supports are in the way.... arrrrggghhh.

Even my CC3D board won't work because it's too small and there's a big hole where the FC goes that is bigger than the CC3D. DOAH!

I'm starting to think this may be a project for a homebrew frame!

Aerovideo

Haha, thanks! I do actually have a frame I started with some parts sharing from Earl E Adobtr. Maybe I can figure a way to strap this baby on there!

Haha, thanks! I do actually have a frame I started with some parts sharing from Earl E Adobtr. Maybe I can figure a way to strap this baby on there!

I've got another one I'm assembling tomorrow. I've been putting it into cad this past week and I finally have all the parts cut. It's a little wider so offset lens on the Hero is centered, and has a cantilevered gimbal to get the cam out front further. It will also accommodate any sized board out there. If it all works, it'll be very cool. The whole copter is designed around the cantilever gimbal. If it isn't a disaster I'll post ;)

Aerovideo

Cool, can't wait to see what you come up with. Definitely post it when you've got it up and running.

As much as I wanted to put my new brushless gimbal on one of my DIY folding frames I ended up putting it on the frame it was intended for and just added another plate to mount my Hoverfly Pro board. It seems to have worked out well, I just have one video test from the backyard but it was pretty windy/gusty and the video turned out pretty good. I especially like at 1:33 where I skim along the ground in the backyard, it's like the gopro is on a dolly.

Here are some pics of my setup:

View attachment 11674View attachment 11675View attachment 11676View attachment 11677View attachment 11678View attachment 11679View attachment 11680

Here's the backyard video test:

Attachments

• IMG_1867.jpg
    IMG_1867.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1869.jpg
    IMG_1869.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1870.jpg
    IMG_1870.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 348
Last edited by a moderator:

Great results! Are you outputting from the HFP or using separate gimbal controller? Gimbal weight? I'm jealous, Paul. I've been trying to dial in for that kind of wind footage for over a week now and still get the bumps and jiggles that need post stab. I may need to break down and go brushless.

Aerovideo

Great results! Are you outputting from the HFP or using separate gimbal controller? Gimbal weight? I'm jealous, Paul. I've been trying to dial in for that kind of wind footage for over a week now and still get the bumps and jiggles that need post stab. I may need to break down and go brushless.

Thanks! I too was quite happy with the results. As always I'm still fighting vibrations but it turned out well.

The gimbal is controlled by a separate board and sensor. The sensor goes on the camera plate and the control board is that red board behind the gimbal in the photos. I guess the control board also needs to have escs built in as they are controlling motors. I sure hope the Hoverfly guys release a brushless gimbal controller as it raises the bar significantly on camera stabilization.

Yeah, no post stabilization in the video, I can't recommend the brushless gimbal enough. Fast, accurate, and smooooooth.

Not sure of the weight of the gimbal by itself but the quad pictured above is about 1680g all loaded up with battery, camera and everything. My DIY folding quad was just about that heavy without a gimbal.

I do wish this was a folding frame though. It's going to be a bit tricky taking this on hiking trips.

That particular BL gimbal is worth waiting for IMO. Looks like you finally have all your ducks in a row for some excellent footage with return to home and über stable setup. I remember Yuri commenting on liking the sense of flying imparted by a fixed camera - hopefully you can dial in a little bit of roll to preserve that but irregardless, looking forward to your next road trip vids.

Av8Chuck

That looked great, especially considering how windy it was.

What camera? I took a look at their website, I couldn't figure out how to order anything. Probably me, I'm getting so impatient with online shopping, if I can't figure out what it is and how to order it in a minute or two I just give up. So sad...

Nice flight.

Aerovideo

Yeah they're now taking down the gimbal between pre-orders so people don't get too anxious I guess. Keep checking back though as this is one heck of a deal. Gimbal, motors, controller, and frame for $300 USD.

Here's my very first FPV flight with it:

Aerovideo

Here's a flight from last night just as the sun was setting. Got a little dark on me and my FPV cam didn't handle it too well so I was flying pretty conservatively.

Here's a flight from last night just as the sun was setting. Got a little dark on me and my FPV cam didn't handle it too well so I was flying pretty conservatively.

I was just wondering why you don't go thru the Hero3 for fpv. Has a tiny delay but the sensor is so much better. That last pan from sunset to city was looking pro.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Hey Paul, you've inspired me. I ordered one of those gimbals for my Hero2 as I don't have the 3 yet. I'm sure the wife-unit will have a come-apart but that's the cost of doing business. I'm hoping I'll be able to 'adapt' the gimbal at some point to carry a Hero3 should that need arise, but that's an entirely different issue.

I didn't order the frame and that may be a mistake but could you tell me the size of the mounting tubes you're using? I'm trying to get my hex prepped for the new gimbal when it arrives and may have to work some magic on this frame. Also, are you using a separate battery for the gimbal? Can I tap off my 4s? Thanks for any info.

Great video. Great flying.

Fred.