DJI F550 for fixed GoPro/Nex work AV

StarterH

Rotor Junkie
Hey all,

I've been working steadily on this build for 3 months now. I finally, today, got it dialed in so I can get decent video off the thing without significant jello. So, I figured I would post some of the things that I learned and what my current build is. Hopefully, someone can get some answers from this and save the trial and error that I had to go through.

So, heres my specs:

Stock DJI F550 frame
Stock DJI 2212 Motors
Stock DJI 30A OPTO ESC
DJI Naza FC + GPS
Aeroxcraft F550 Landing Gear
Aeroxcraft tripod mounting plate
DJI 1038 Props
Turnigy Nanotech 6k mAh 3S

Now here are some things that I learned while doing the build:
*You will crash when you are just learning. Make sure you have spare parts, or can get them easily.
*Get the tripod mount for your gopro. The one that comes with it that you can slide the mount on and off puts a HUGE amount of vibration in to your videos
*EC3 connectors are WAY easier to solder than deans - http://www.maydayrc.com/neat-way-to-solder-ec3-plugs/
*When I first started out, I was having huge swings in my altitude, even in attitude mode. I bought a GPS thinking that would help, but it just kept it in a point on the face of the earth while it went up and down. It had everything to do with the vibrations getting to the flight controller. When I balanced my props, that went away immediately
*When filming, film at 60 fps, this reduces the amount of jello or vibes you will see in the video
*Stock DJI props are poop, but they really turned it around with the 1038s
*Replacing bearings on your motor is easier than you think. Don't spend $25-50 on a new motor when a $2 pair of new bearings will do the trick
*The aeroxcraft landing gear are a little too short for most gimbal's. Unless of course you buy your gimbal from aeroxcraft
*Carbon fiber props look cool and perform really well. Make sure you are a decent pilot before you buy, though, because they are toast after one crash.
*Sorbathane washers work really well to reduce vibes, I put some between my landing gear and the frame and also between the camera tripod mount and the screw. That worked well for me.
*You cannot find metric washers at Lowe's for adapting your props

I'll post some pics and videos tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great Post! I am headed down the same route actually. I am looking forward to getting my Aeroxcraft F550 Landing Gear.

Knowledge is power, so thank you for sharing what you've learned

StarterH

Rotor Junkie

Attachments

• Photo May 08, 8 51 53 AM.jpg
    Photo May 08, 8 51 53 AM.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 312
  • Photo May 08, 8 50 46 AM.jpg
    Photo May 08, 8 50 46 AM.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Photo May 08, 8 50 15 AM.jpg
    Photo May 08, 8 50 15 AM.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 386
  • Photo May 08, 8 50 03 AM.jpg
    Photo May 08, 8 50 03 AM.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 344
  • Photo May 08, 8 49 47 AM.jpg
    Photo May 08, 8 49 47 AM.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 349
  • Photo May 08, 8 49 30 AM.jpg
    Photo May 08, 8 49 30 AM.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 371

StarterH

Rotor Junkie
MulticopterFPV,

Hey, I saw you were having issues with extreme height changes on your f550 with Naza. I had that exact same problem, and was able to solve it by balancing my props. Anything that contributes to vibration getting to the FC is a candidate, so balancing the props, balancing the motors and replacing the bearings are all valid steps to get it cleaned up.

There are also rumors that light getting inside the Naza can cause this, I have mine covered with black tape. Also, there is a new version of the Naza firmware on DJI's website, which solved a lot of minor issues for me.

StarterH,

Yeah, tried all of that actually. Props are balanced, motors are solid, covered my Naza, flashed the firmware, played with my gains, re-calibrated my gps, tested each motor and ESC. You name it, I tried it. And I still had problems.

I got a hold of my DJI dealer and he is going to warranty exchange it for me. So, I am out $15 in shipping, but he is going to do the exchange for me.

I have found some reports about the vibration wrecking the Naza that is mounted on the standard mounting tape. So, I am going to get my hands on some "moongel" (http://www.rtom.com/moongel.htm) and use that to get the vibrations down even more so nothing happens to the new Naza.

Also, I am very envious of your setup. I can't wait to get up and flying again. I just got my shipment in from Hobby King with my leds so I'll wire that up while I wait for my replacement Naza to get in.

Post some videos and let see what you can do.

StarterH:
Do you think the Sorbathane washers eliminted the need for the AeroXcraft vibration kit? Concur on the DJI 1045 props=poop. Had two fall apart in flight. Also put the stock DJI 2012 motors in that category as I had two with frozen bearings in the first 30 minutes and had another or esc acting up on the last crash that I am still waiting on parts to fix. Ordered replacement bearings for all the DJi 2212's but will probably order the F550 heavy lift kit with AvRoto's and go with 11" props on the 2nd F550 I am building while I try to graduate from the crash and burn phase with the first. Also plan on using the AeroXcraft gear and tripod fixed plate you have. I would like to be able to mount my Sony RX100, Drift HD Ghost and a GoPro3 on the same bracket. Thanks for taking the time to document this. Its a tremendous help to us Noobs.

MulticopterFPV:
I live in a very remote area of Alaska and it is sometimes months between mail so be aware it may be some time before I'm able to try the moongel. I would of liked to of found pads that were slightly larger than the Naza M that I could trim to size. Enjoyed your video. When you were at the higher altitudes was that wind gusts or just GPS corrections? Excellent runtime. What was your battery size?

I am running my F550 with 1045 props on a 5000mah 3S and I am getting about 14 minutes with carrying just my camera.

My first few videos I have posted right now are pre-balanced props and its a little bouncy. I just have the camera strapped on with verlco straps from my battery. I was able to get up to about 350 feet or so. I do not want to get too high in the park or break any "rules".

I was so excited to get up and flying I was out flying in some gusty weather and I probably should not have been looking back on it. I am a very confident flyer but it was still pushing it. I just wanted so much to see what my F550 could do. Of course its been amazing weather this week, no wind, warm and sunny, and I can't fly my 550 due to swapping my Naza-m :(

I will post some pictures when I get my Naza mounted with some moongel.

StarterH

Rotor Junkie
StarterH:
Do you think the Sorbathane washers eliminted the need for the AeroXcraft vibration kit?

So far so good on the on the sorbathane. I put those on at the same time I put the freshly balanced 1038's on and replaced the bearings in my motors so it's hard to pin it down to just those, but my video is jello free at this point, so that worked. On the 1038's they made the hub significantly thicker and their material is obviously stronger, so that's a good replacement. I went with those after attempting to use the AMP 9x5 CF props. The props themselves rocked, but adapting them to the 2212's proved to be too touchy. With thick enough washers I had massive balance issues, and with lighter washers I had props slipping that ultimately caused a crash and wrecked the props.

StarterH:
...and had another or esc acting up on the last crash that I am still waiting on parts to fix.

I had something similar happen with one of my ESC's, where it cut out mid flight and had a flip of death. It was twitching back and forth after the crash on that specific prop, so I reseated the ESC-->motor connections and it has worked flawlessly since then. I'm thinking of either using some conductive gel or replacing the connectors with the pro (cageless) banana plugs, but it hasn't happened since then.

StarterH:
I think I will try the washers first as i can always add the kit if needed. Do you recall what size Sorbathane washers you used? I have some of the 1038's on the way. Must of been some bad batches on the 1045's. Could you detect any difference by hand turning after you replaced the bearings on your 2212's? Have you found a source for the small bronze bushing and clip at the end of the shaft?
Ah yes the flip of death. That is exactly what happened with mine. It did a lightening fast flip and drove itself into the rocks inverted next to the river in front of our place. In fact it was so close that the motor/esc I suspect had what was left of its prop pulsing in the water. We live in an extreme maritime climate on the Alaska Peninsula and was considering a large piece of shrink wrap around the bullet connection to stop salt corrosion. I don't think it was a contributor in the latest crash but will have to do something long term. Will also pursue the conductive gel also. Thank you for your input.

StarterH

Rotor Junkie
Washers - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042UBWCE/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were a little on the large size inner diameter, but I wasn't able to find smaller ones. They seem to fit well enough.

There wasn't much of a difference hand turning the motors, but when I start up the motors, the amount of motor noise I got was significantly reduced. Also, the character of the sound changed quite a bit, less grinding noise.

I did see someone suggest heat shrink around the bullet connector for a better seal just to keep the ESC's connected in flight. That may work to keep the salt water out.

EDIT: The E clip at the end I have been fortunate enough to not have to replace. When I take it off, I use the flat part of needle nose pliers to push on the open end. That will pop it loose, then I use a small flat blade screwdriver to push it the rest of the way. Getting it back on is trickier, I had to scrutinize my garage floor for about ten minutes a couple of times when it popped off trying to get it back on.

Get high enough to see Russia yet?

StarterH:
Ordered the washers. Thanks for the link. I ordered my AeroXcraft landing gear from Addictive RC but can't find a US source for the fixed tripod mount. I haven't lost any of the e clips yet but it is just a matter of time. I did loose one of the small bronze bushings and haven't been able to find them anywhere also.

StarterH

Rotor Junkie
Bob,

I actually just ordered direct from aero. $11 in shipping, but I was able to get my stuff.

Hope it all works out for you, can't wait to see pics of the build!

StarterH:
OK thanks for the info. I sent them an email asking for shipping charges. Be patient on the build photos as nothing gets here quickly.

UgashikBob

how did you go about mounting your Naza with the moongel? I just got some moongel today in anticipation of my replacement Naza showing up today. It seems like this stuff would tear pretty easy, but I havent tested one out yet.