Possibility to add Waypoint to a 'normal' Wookong M?

HexaCoptNewb

Hey everyone!
As the name suggests I am new to the scene, so please be patient with me :)
Now that I informed myself a bit about multicopters, I saw that I have to buy some stuff like the Wookong M hardware. As I want to have the waypoint feature included in my multicopter project, I would like to know if there is a cheaper way to get the 5 point license instead of buying for 795 € (don't know the $ price)?

Yours
HexaCopt

Its proprietary and licensed software that is firmly regulated and linked to existing WKM hardware/firmware via serial number upgrades.
Maybe if you wait long enough, competition will help to get the pricing to drop.

Since you are new to the scene and these MRs are finicky and complex.... you need about one year of MR flying to get to a safe and reliable level before investing big dollars in such advanced and complex features. And maybe by then it will be possible that the User Interface and documentation will be updated from User hostile to User friendly! :shame:

Hey everyone!
As the name suggests I am new to the scene, so please be patient with me :)
Now that I informed myself a bit about multicopters, I saw that I have to buy some stuff like the Wookong M hardware. As I want to have the waypoint feature included in my multicopter project, I would like to know if there is a cheaper way to get the 5 point license instead of buying for 795 € (don't know the $ price)?

Yours
HexaCopt

Dewster

It's probably a good thing that the waypoint feature is a paid addition. More so for the flyers sake vs. DJI. Imagine how many would try the feature right out of the box? its good to get an understanding of your craft and the system before trying advanced features. If you have the WKM you can always upgrade later. Before using the waypoint feature its a good idea to know how long your batteries can keep your craft in the air. Get familiar with Return to Home, Intellogent Orientation Control, Home Lock etc.

programing waypoints you'll need to consider flight time, height to clear ground objects etc. It took a minute to get used to using Return to Home. :) You hit the switch and think "I hope this works" while you relinquish control. Now imagine programming waypoints. You probably hope to see your craft again.

I do think that competition will lower the price of the feature or include waypoint activation with the purchase. I don't think you need to have a ground station to program a waypoint, launch and return, especially with the ipad/iPhone software.

HexaCoptNewb

Thanks for the answers.
Of course I have to see how long the copterbattery lasts etc. That is- as I see it- the smallest problem. The user manual should reveal the most info on speed, battery life, ... These have just to be controlled.
However. What I actually meant was, if there is a possibility to 'modify' the software in a certain way?

PS: I want to use the copter for FPV flying.

FPV Flying is a difficult challenge due to potential radio frequency interference issues when combining a Datalink GPS system with an FPV video downlink system. On top of that your MR would also have to simultaneously use your RC radio control system.
GPS GCS Datalink systems were designed to use virtual 3D views from Google Earth to get around these issues.

To modify the software you would have to get a copy of the source code from the manufacturer as the controller contains only the object code which is typically a string of 1's and 0's.......(ANSI C code) which would be extremely difficult to decipher and reverse engineer.
You would also have to fight your way through the firmware encryption issues including serial number matching as well as modify the appropriate version of the Assistant software. That would then isolate your sw/fw development for free software/firmware upgrades as a result of free added features and/or debugged issues. There are also legal copyright infringment issues etc. My philosophy is to pay for what others have rightfully earned.

Your best solution would be to develop your own code, firmware etc. which is not too difficult to do.
Try DIY Drones and work with the free and open source material their developed for the Arduino and related controllers.

The open source world imposes tremendous pressure upon DJI and others to offer their proprietary products at a competitive price.:cold:

Thanks for the answers.
Of course I have to see how long the copterbattery lasts etc. That is- as I see it- the smallest problem. The user manual should reveal the most info on speed, battery life, ... These have just to be controlled.
However. What I actually meant was, if there is a possibility to 'modify' the software in a certain way?

PS: I want to use the copter for FPV flying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

Hacking DJI's flight controller is not worth it, especially when you consider the already low cost of the system. You can buy Zero Uav's system with waypoints for about the same cost of the NAZA or WKM.

Heres a cheap method for a waypoint:

Determine where you want your aircraft to land. Plug your battery in at that location and allow your flight system (DJI WKM or NAZA with GPS) to record its Home Position. Without starting the motors, physically carry your craft to a launch point. Launch your craft and activate the Return to Home function. Your craft will fly a straight line course to its recorded home position. Make sure that you have enough altitude to clear obstructions along the straight line path. Also make sure that the landing area is secure from bystanders that may watch your craft land or attempt to run away with your bird before you can get to your craft.

Crazy huh? Kinda like hacking a cheap system.