AV130 roll trouble

Topflight

My AV130 roll mechanism is not working. I have the roll servo and potentiometer disengaged from the main gold gear for testing purposes. When I put power to it, the gear on the roll servo spins continuously in one direction. I slowly rotate the screw on the potentiometer trying to find the spot where the servo will quit running. The pod on the potentiometer makes 10 complete turns. I've gone fully CW and CCW but it does not stop the role servo. I do see changes in resistance on the pod when the power is off using an ohm meter, but I don't know what the values are supossed to be. Anyone know how the roll function works using the servo and the pod in conjunction? Controlling it with a Naza-M. I do have the gimbal function turned on in Naza Assistance.Thanks

Maverick

I have the same problem, only on my tilt servo (Savox SC-1258TG). I think it's the potentiometer that's the problem, I'm not sure. I tried unplugging the poti plug from the servo output plug, and then powered it up. The servo spins constantly, BUT, if I fiddle about with the servo output lead, the servo will speed up, slow down, stop, change direction, all depending what way I wiggle or touch the lead. WEIRD!!! It's nearly like, as if its a gyro...?
I know my roll is working perfect, so I tried disconnecting its poti, and powering up, and YES, it spins constantly too, so that must be what it's supposed to do when disconnected from poti, but fiddling about with the roll servo's output lead, doesn't make it do the weird things that the tilt servo is doing!!!
So I think I may have a broken poti, AND maybe a dodgy servo as well.

Maybe somebody from PhotoHigher can chime in here and shed some light on the subject.....?

Maverick.

Hi guys
It sounds like the pot is damaged. To make sure can you use one of the other pots from either the roll servo or tilt servo - depending on which servo is playing up

The pots are quite sensative and it they are over turned etc they can get messed up

Can you also make sure the pot is not plugged in backwards - I am sure it is not but just checking

Cheers Kim attwell

Maverick

Maverick can you also check inside the servo to make sure the pot lead has not come loose or the solder has come away?

Thanks for the quick reply Kim.

I removed the 4 screws from the servo, but inside, the circuit board seems to be fixed in place pretty solid, and I don't want to apply to much pressure, in case I damage it.
I CAN tell you that after fiddling with it again, I can get the servo wheel to : slow down, stop, change direction, by pressing and twisting the servo extension plug on the output lead... I removed crimp terminals from inside extension plug, and all seems in order. Crimps are making good contact on the bare wire.
When my poti came apart the other day, as I was trying to level the camera tray, the whole lot spun round a few times, until I managed to disconnect the power. I wondered did this damage the servo..??
I have a replacement poti ordered, and it should hopefully arrive in the post today, so I will know then, if its the servo as well or not...
When replacing the poti, any DO's or DONT's, or is it just a straight swop. Any re-calibrating or anything like that, needed to be done.

Thanks,

Maverick.

Topflight

Maverick/Kim,
I removed the pot for the roll servo (the one that isn't working) and connected the pot from the tilt servo to the roll servo and it works. Kim had e-mailed me with this idea last week (thanks). Rechecked the wiring to the bad pot with Ohm meter just to be sure its not a bad wire and the wiring is ok. Just ordered a new pot. Maverick, thanks for the response.

Maverick

Maverick/Kim,
I removed the pot for the roll servo (the one that isn't working) and connected the pot from the tilt servo to the roll servo and it works. Kim had e-mailed me with this idea last week (thanks). Rechecked the wiring to the bad pot with Ohm meter just to be sure its not a bad wire and the wiring is ok. Just ordered a new pot. Maverick, thanks for the response.

No problem Topflight.

The replacement pots aren't easy to come by, I think I got the last one in the uk, that I could see advertised. I couldn't see a roll pot anywhere - just a tilt one.
Can I ask you where you bought your's...?
In preparation, I've been scouring the net for a replacement tilt servo, but can't find one anywhere, except for NZ...? Hopefully it won't come to that...

Maverick.

Topflight

Maverick,
Purchased pot from Aerial Technlogy Inc. aerialtechnology.com They have a web site with phone number. Ask for Steve or Lawrence, very helpfull. I would imagine Photohigher has them also.

Maverick to get the circuit board out you need to remove two little screws on either side of the motor. To get to these screws you need to remove the top case of the servo and they are under all the gears

It sounds like you may have tensioned the cable so it would be best to check you could have also damaged the pot

Maverick

Maverick to get the circuit board out you need to remove two little screws on either side of the motor. To get to these screws you need to remove the top case of the servo and they are under all the gears

It sounds like you may have tensioned the cable so it would be best to check you could have also damaged the pot

I've done a continuity test (diode test) using a multimeter, on both servo leads and pot lead, and getting zero readings with them all, so there's no issue with the connections or solder joints.
Is there also a pot INSIDE the servo...?
Sometimes squeezing the servo extension plug effects the gear speed, and direction, and sometimes it does not. It's very random.

Maverick.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

There is no other pot inside - I think it must be the pot itself that is faulty especially if it has spun more than 180 deg

Ah rite ok. Well then, it must be that, because the camera tray definitely spun more than 180 degrees, when the pot came apart and popped off. Thanks very much for clearing that up - you've been a great help, much appreciated!

Postman Pat didn't deliver my replacement today, so I haven't got trying my new one out yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Ill keep you updated.

Cheers,

Maverick.

Maverick

PhotoHigher/Topflight

UPDATE :

My replacement pot arrived yesterday, so I got it fitted last night.

Problem sorted - everything working as it should. I don't know what the weird stuff was all about - cant explain it. Maybe static from my hand...?

Thanks for your help folks!

Maverick.

Topflight

Good to hear you have it fixed. Hope my new pot solves my issue. Should get it tomorrow or the next day. Will let you know results.

PhotoHigher/Topflight

UPDATE :

My replacement pot arrived yesterday, so I got it fitted last night.

Problem sorted - everything working as it should. I don't know what the weird stuff was all about - cant explain it. Maybe static from my hand...?

Thanks for your help folks!

Maverick.

Topflight

New pot arrived today. Installed it and that was the problem. Recallibrated everything. Only issue I have now is when the F550 is stationary and level, I have it dialed in so the gimbal is nice and level also, but when I roll the F550 it over corrects in both directions. Changed my gains, but no help. Any ideas?
icon9.png

Thanks

Good to hear you have it fixed. Hope my new pot solves my issue. Should get it tomorrow or the next day. Will let you know results.

Maverick

New pot arrived today. Installed it and that was the problem. Recallibrated everything. Only issue I have now is when the F550 is stationary and level, I have it dialed in so the gimbal is nice and level also, but when I roll the F550 it over corrects in both directions. Changed my gains, but no help. Any ideas?
icon9.png

Thanks

I had the same problem initially, but solved it by turning the gain down. The servos are powered by a Castle Creations BEC, set at 6.5v.

Servo refresh rate is set at 400Hz.

Maverick.

Topflight

I had the same problem initially, but solved it by turning the gain down. The servos are powered by a Castle Creations BEC, set at 6.5v.

Maverick.

Will be home in two days and will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Topflight

Maverick.

Tried lowering my gains. Still over corrects, no where close to being level. Freq is at 400.

Maverick

Tried lowering my gains. Still over corrects, no where close to being level. Freq is at 400.

How are you powering the servos? And what voltage...?
It's never gona be perfect, as NAZA and WooKong are only just average stabilisation systems, but it should level - mine just has a slight lag in everything, but it does come back level.

Maverick.