Hoverfly OK now I'm aggravated....

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Ok... I almost lost the hex. It's DEAD calm. Clear Blue. I go out front where I have had a few issues with the GPS finding satellites and try again. It starts up, gets a green lock on in about a minute. I wait. No blue lock on. I fly. VERY SMOOTH! NICE! I rotate to the SSW and climb to about 150' Altitude Hold is perfect. Well, as perfect as I can see from the ground. I engage Position hold. Seems perfect. There was no wind and it just sat there for about 10 seconds. THEN.... At about a 45º angle, it raced to the south. Not just coasting to the south, RACING SOUTH! by the time I looked down and disengaged PH and keep my wits about me, she was too far to see orientation but I didn't turn her so, I engaged AL and started coaxing her home. Perfect I thought, I'll download the FLIGHT LOG and send it off so I can learn how much of an idiot I am not building this correctly. No dice.

First, I fire up the programming computer and hook up the HFP. It beeps and such and flashed purple. I go to the diagnostic page and click connect. LIKE EVERY OTHER PAGE! No dice. WTF I think. Anyway, I try again several times. Still, no dice. So I just click on the save button, and a window pops up wanting me to name the file. Cool. I save it, and IT'S ZERO BYTES! CRAP! I try several more times and nothing. What the heck!?! I so want this to fly nicely, do what it's supposed to do and get the wife-unit off my back for spending so much.

So, in my previous discussion I tried to point out the differences in starting points. I thought about the rebar in the driveway, the trees, the house, the length of the grass, the kid practicing hoops across the street, and about everything else I thought could be an issue. I took my handheld compass to see a few things.

In back, on a deck facing 020 magnetic, about 30" above the surrounding ground, close to the house (about 12' to the multi's right) I get a satellite lock-on in about 10 seconds, blue in about another 15 seconds. PH is perfect. The other day I flew in about 12mph wind and she held, Up over the house to the front, she held until I got there. Nicely.

In front, this morning, I sat her on the driveway facing 120 magnetic. Post-near-disaster, I took my hand held compass and tried to find a variance with the driveway etc. Same whether it was sitting on the driveway or hand held or over the grass. No variance. I get a green light lock-on in about a minute, maybe two. I lift off and smoothly turn 90º right, looking down the street and climbed. You know the rest of the story.

How do I download the flight log? Is this something that's been disabled? Is it stored on the little chip on the GPS? Did I do something wrong?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Fred,

I'm wondering if the micro SD card didn't fail? It's required for flight so if it's gone bad then that would probably be bad for the FC and GPS board?

Just guessing. Submit a ticket and see what the official response is. Mention, funky flight, 0 bytes flight log.

Here's a question.....if you move it to the front and it takes longer to figure itself out, once it has a lock and knows where it's at, if you power down and then move it back to the rear of the house does it get a lock as quickly as it did the first time or is it equally slow as the front position as it tries to figure out that it;s been moved since it was powered down?

Cheers! You survived!

Bart

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Hey Bart, I haven't tried that yet. I usually go where the sun is when I start up. If I can get the log out of this thing I may try that. It always acquires nicely in back. I may try facing it in a different position out back to see if the initial heading has anything to do with it. I am really gun-shy now.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
HOW DO YOU DOWNLOAD A GOSH DARN FLIGHT LOG!?! I have tried twice. I have searched this forum, Zendesk, and I can't find it. I dis-armed this time and plugged it into the computer and it WOULDN'T CONNECT! I'm about to throw it all in the trash. I am at my wit's end.

panino

Slow down Fred... Try to relax... Open a bier and don`t rush...
Last time I rushed i almost lost a thumb to a mad multi....
I wish i could help U with a practical advice but I can only help u like this

Mactadpole

Fred,

I think you can connect the board to the software and go to the diagnostics tab/page to download the log file. Or, you can get straight from the SD card. The file name should be the date of the flight and you will have to add .csv extension to the name.

The process for filling out a ticket is here: https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/home

Best,

Shawn

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Thanks Shawn, I filled out a Zendesk request. I'm thinking with the GPS installed, it could be saved on the mSD chip. That was my next step but I have to get the little adapter. Gosh this is aggravating.

On another note, I flew again and started in the front where I've had issues. It seemed to hold 'ok' and got a little squirrelly when I tried to slew. I switched off PH and maneuvered back to the hold point and it seemed to hold ok. Odd. I'm sure it's something with my build but I think I need the flight log for HoverFly to be able to help me.

ghaynes

Don't think you can download it directly. Buy a spare card from Amazon. Most of them come with an SD adapter.

hoverben

Person of Interest
Hi Fred - I'm sorry for the frustration but hopefully we'll get this sorted for you pretty quickly. I am looking at your ticket now. Expect an answer by email.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Thanks HoverFly! I got a reply from the Zendesk in about 20 minutes. It seems the log is stored on the mSD card by date. If there is more than one flight, it's appended. I think I'll be able to pull up the log and see what happened in the air. Now all I need is an mSD adapter. Radio Shack? My saying is, they have everything except what you need. We'll see.

Mactadpole

You can even pickup that adapter from places like Target or Best Buy. Do you have an SD card reader already?

Hope they get your issues sorted soon.

Best,

Shawn

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Well... I got the flight log finally downloaded. There is some pretty cool information in there and I sent it off to HoverFly via Zendesk to see what they may have to say. Certainly at one point in the flight, with good satellite data, steady heading etc, the Hex pitched and went on a tangent while in PH. I can decipher most of what's in there but hopefully the experts will see something and tell me I build bad machines. ;) Maybe I'll get a little more insight on my multi. I shall report back.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Have you tried flying without using the GPS at all? Just hover about without GPS for a full battery load and see if anything cookey happens? If it flies perfectly fine then it may not a build problem or a faulty motor or ESC etc.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Yes. In fact several flights to get it trimmed and dialed in. I haven't seen any sort of anomaly in basic flying about. From my perspective, it's odd that it was slower acquiring a GPS lock in the font. From my uneducated eyes, it seems the log indicated a minimum of 8 satellites and a max of 9 and always the good GPS data was 'true'. The initial heading were pretty much spot on what the HFP was seeing and what my hand held compass said. There is data in there that I can't decipher and its probably a bit map of various information. Hopefully Hoverfly will see something in there I missed and I'll be able to trust my setup.