Wookong IMU V2

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
tell me want you guys want me to test. I have time tomorrow. Should i put it on a s800 and see if the white flashes are gone ! I dont think the IMU by itself except the Z ACC problems will improve the overall flight performance since the brain stays the MC and there is know FW upgrade going along with the IMU v2 up to know.

@ Chris its the new WKM A2M shown are NAB ! Guessing just like the naza V2 they have tackle couple flight performance issue. Like the wobble on descends etc.

Boris

Tahoe Ed

Boris, if you do not have the vibration isolation mounts yet, can you mount the IMU in the usual spot for comparison.

Serval

Boris, if you do not have the vibration isolation mounts yet, can you mount the IMU in the usual spot for comparison.

Great idea.
So, could you explain to us wich UAV do you pilot ?
Take some videos please.
Thank a lot. :nevreness:

Tahoe Ed

I have a S800. I am mounting the IMU on the supplied deck for the landing gear for a test. I have never had the loss of altitude or the white flashes while loaded with a Zen, Nex5N, iOSD and a 900 mhz Data Link. I do not have retracts. Currently I am having connection issues with the Zen, everything is fine in Assistant but after initialization nothing. I am going to have to rethink my cabling on the can bus after moving everything around doing this install.

ChrisViperM

tell me want you guys want me to test. I have time tomorrow. Should i put it on a s800 and see if the white flashes are gone ! I dont think the IMU by itself except the Z ACC problems will improve the overall flight performance since the brain stays the MC and there is know FW upgrade going along with the IMU v2 up to know.

@ Chris its the new WKM A2M shown are NAB ! Guessing just like the naza V2 they have tackle couple flight performance issue. Like the wobble on descends etc.

Boris

Thanks for the info....I thought it's another FC next to WKM and Naza.

Would be great to mount it on a S800 with a Zen.....I also don't think the IMU v2 will make the flight performance better, but since the IMU exchanges data with the Zen, maybe some issues with the Zen (horizont, start-up) might improve.....just wishful thinking.

Anyways, thanks for the efford....

Chris

jrlederer

Please....leat us know how it performs. I have two on the way, and if this things are not A LOT better than the v1 and fix all current issues, I might do a product review like this:

BTW: What's this A2M anyways.....?????

Chris

haha that video put a smile on my face...thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:

HeinzABF

@ Boris

I have got the new IMU for heavy copters, but i cant´t see any difference in holding the hight. Especially in hover mode. I´m flying in a big building, bringing the S800 to a height of appr. 5 meters. Then it slowly comes down to appr. 1 meter. There it hovers without any height loss.

Did you test it already and what are yr gains?

Any ideas?

Heinz

My copter is appr. 6.900 grams

saidquad

@ Boris

I have got the new IMU for heavy copters, but i cant´t see any difference in holding the hight. Especially in hover mode. I´m flying in a big building, bringing the S800 to a height of appr. 5 meters. Then it slowly comes down to appr. 1 meter. There it hovers without any height loss.
Not good news. It seems I should wait for IMU V3.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Guys slightly better damping on your IMU V1 will fix the altitude dropping issues...

I have tried three types of gel (including the blue Align) - even combinations of different thicknesses and densities - and it made not a scrap of difference to the height dropping unreliability (IMU.v1/fw5.16).

I have now installed the IMU V2 and the bluetooth LED. WKM software is v5.22 and it includes a new upgrade window. Looks all fancy and everything but it will not upgrade the components properly. It keeps 'timing out' and aborting the process. So I now I don't know whether to fly the poxy thing thing or not.

Does anybody know whether or not it is necessary to upgrade the IMU and GPS to 3.44 and 2.11 respectively?
I do not find the bluetoothLED Manual or setup assistant software anywhere. Does they exist?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Oh by the way folks, here is some more funny news.

If you are rushing out to get the IMU.v2 so that you can take advantage of the super user-friendly bluetooth LED for super user-friendly parameter changing ... it doesn't work with an iPhone 4.

Minimum is an iPhone 4S.

If you don't have an iPhone 5 or 4S your IMU.v2/bluetoothLED upgrade is now going to cost you about €1000.

The biggest joke is my AD8 HLE with MK stack just works ... every time ... with no fuss ... it's lighter ... it's quieter ... it is predictable and reliable. It's just the AV200 is so crappy next to the Z15.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I have tried three types of gel (including the blue Align) - even combinations of different thicknesses and densities - and it made not a scrap of difference to the height dropping unreliability (IMU.v1/fw5.16).

I have now installed the IMU V2 and the bluetooth LED. WKM software is v5.22 and it includes a new upgrade window. Looks all fancy and everything but it will not upgrade the components properly. It keeps 'timing out' and aborting the process. So I now I don't know whether to fly the poxy thing thing or not.

Does anybody know whether or not it is necessary to upgrade the IMU and GPS to 3.44 and 2.11 respectively?
I do not find the bluetoothLED Manual or setup assistant software anywhere. Does they exist?

Mombasa, setup assistant you should find in the app store ( search for DJI WKM ) I also dont have anything written for the individual components when i upgrade to 5.22v. I guess its not implemented yet !
LED GPS IMU, and FW N# after that stay blank.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Oh by the way folks, here is some more funny news.

If you are rushing out to get the IMU.v2 so that you can take advantage of the super user-friendly bluetooth LED for super user-friendly parameter changing ... it doesn't work with an iPhone 4.

Minimum is an iPhone 4S.

If you don't have an iPhone 5 or 4S your IMU.v2/bluetoothLED upgrade is now going to cost you about €1000.

The biggest joke is my AD8 HLE with MK stack just works ... every time ... with no fuss ... it's lighter ... it's quieter ... it is predictable and reliable. It's just the AV200 is so crappy next to the Z15.

yeah ;( its some bluetooth computability issues. Bluetooth V2 that the 4s has and the 4 doesn't. Luckily there seems to be a Android version in the works or lets say it like this it was announced once !

Boris

ChrisViperM

The only thing I could find was this: http://www.dji-innovations.com/wkm-firmware-and-led-bluetooth-indicator/
Looks like DJI is re-structuring their web-site just when the "new" stuff is about to hit the stores.....if you can mess something up, than do it properly :highly_amused:

yeah ;( its some bluetooth computability issues. Bluetooth V2 that the 4s has and the 4 doesn't. Luckily there seems to be a Android version in the works or lets say it like this it was announced once !

Boris

The iPhone 4 uses a single-band Broadcom BCM4329 chip for Bluetooth the 2.1 + EDR specification and 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi. This is also the chip used in the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch, with a dual-band version used in the iPad, iPad 2 and second-generation Apple TV to provide 5Ghz Wi-Fi in addition to the standard 2.4GHz band.

In contrast, the iPhone 4S uses the single-band version of the Broadcom BCM4330 which is basically the next-generation version of the same chip, providing support for the Bluetooth 4.0 + HS specification.

I don't even have any of the Apple products (they all sank in the ebay ocean), so now I might have to be very nice to my wife to get my hands on her iPhone until Android is ready....oh man.

Boris, did you try out the IMU v2 already ? HeinzABF (post #47) doesn't seem to be too happy.....but might be a bit early to judge.

One thing I am curious about: The metal case of the IMU v2 makes only sense if you compare that to the TBS core shield: to keep unwanted radiation away, since just to change the case from plastic to metal as a crash-protection would be nonsense. But the new mounting spot (away from the center plate) can have only one reason: to keep it away from vibrations of the center plate....but the new IMU is supposed to cope with the vibrations....just guessing.....I just hope we didn't buy an old ***** with a new dress....

Once I get my IMU v2, I will mount it with Moon-Gel.....this stuff is magic. I had jello on my TBS Disco/GoPro and could not get rid of it, regardless what I tried....now 2 layers of Moon-Gel at the bottom and the back.....not even the slightest jello left. This would be a must on any BL-gimbal for the Disco.

Chris

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... LED GPS IMU, and FW N# after that stay blank.

With the USB connected to the MC the upgrade options do not appear. They only appear if the USB cable is connected to the bluetoothLED - except that they 'timeout' and don't complete the upgrade.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
With the USB connected to the MC the upgrade options do not appear. They only appear if the USB cable is connected to the bluetoothLED - except that they 'timeout' and don't complete the upgrade.

Okay will try it later. Always hooked things up the traditional way over the MC

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
the app is nice i have to give it to them !!

took screenshot of every single section : http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...sion-and-IOS-APP-Hands-on&highlight=bluetooth

it actually already saved my ***. Took up my x8 for the first time a couple days ago. Though all is good lets go ! But than said to myself lets check the setting one more time via bluetooth. And the best mistake you can make. I had the IMU facing backwards on the frame and the opposite in the settings :) Would have been a nice flip :)

Boris

Strange the two units I have never have any white flashes and don't loose height in forward flight ever since adding some gel under them. Must be the vibrations amount coming from some S800 that's different. Also something to try is storing the IMU upside down so the foam supporting the accelerometers doesn't compress fully.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
....but the new IMU is supposed to cope with the vibrations....

That's what I thought ! If it doesn't then what the hell are we buying it for? May as well keep the old IMU.v1 and use the new damped fastener with IMU tray 'upgrade' - if and when it ever becomes available to buy.

the app is nice i have to give it to them !! ....

I think pretty much ALL their stuff looks nice. I just have a problem with the fact that a lot of it has problems !