Help with my first IronMan 1000 octo build

kemmy

Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum. Hope you can help me through building my first multirotor system for professional aerial filming. I decided to build an octocopter for heavy-lift related filming with cameras such as mark3 and the red epic (yes I do have access to one :p )

I did some research and decided to go with the following parts and I have a few questions to ask you guys ; maybe you could give me some advice to complete my part list.

1x Tarot Iron Man 1000mm Octo frame (from foxtechfpv)
8x Sunnysky 4014-12 320kv motor (from foxtechfpv)
8x (an alternative to sunnysky) T-motor 3515-15 400kv motor(from foxtechfpv)
8x Hobbywing platinum 40A ESC (from foxtechfpv)
4x CF 1447 prop. (from foxtechfpv)
2x Foxtech 6S 9000mah Lipo Battery (from foxtechfpv)

Now here comes all my questions J.

· I’m planning to go with a cinestar gimbal (preffering a 3 axis CS gimbal). In most forums I see it’s possible to mount a CS gimbal to Tarot Iran Man frames. Does anyone know what extra pieces I would need to obtain to mount it ? (screws, brackets etc, or the type of DIY I’ll be dealing with). You could give me suggestions for other gimbal makes too but consider I’ll be flying Canon 5D mk3 or the red epic.
· I’m not too familiar with multirotor electronics and probably I’ll be having some friend helping me to put all these parts together (I mean the electronics etc). I’m planning to go with DJI wookong M controller. What would you suggest? I need something easy to use and set or calibrate.
· I haven’t decided what to get for the remote controller. Rx Tx so I’m open to any suggestions. I’ll probably be needing 2 controllers (multirotor + the gimbal )
· Talking about the gimbal, what type of electronics would I need to get for the gimbal ? Like the stabilization, servos etc. I have no idea.
Hope you can help me complete my list of parts and knowledge. I know you are probably saying don’t try n build a system like this if you don’t know how to. But hey ! we all need to start from somewhere. I have an ideal budget to build it so I’d rather buy build and try to do it. I would also be very happy with any info or tutorial/material you could provide me with about putting all of these together, like the Li-po’s the flight control electronics the Rx Tx etc. This is going to be a nice and adventurous process for me. Thanks in advance for all your help J

hjls3

Kemmy - you might consider adding a small rig like a DJI 450 to build first and learn to fly and maintain your rig and the acces ie...lipos, chargers, props etc. Pretty cheap and you could use the same radio on both rigs. I assume you havent done much flying because you stated you are not too familiar with the electronics. You would also have a nice system to train with. Id buy the NAZA GPS for the 450 and once you learn all the ins and outs of that - the WKM is real easy. I have a big bird but I am always training with one of the small ones. Also comes in real handy for trying new firmware updates to the FC as well. FWIW - I have been flying RC for quite a while - (planes and heli's) and multi rotors for about two years. I also own a 5dMK3. Just now getting to where I would want to put that camera in the air. I am certainly not implying that you cant go your route without a smaller bird, but I am saying - it would be money well spent.

kemmy

Thanks for the advice hjls3 a few people suggested me about using training kits etc I know I'm gonna sound a little naughty here :) but to be honest I think I would be able to handle flying the multirotor. My lack is the knowledge of electronics and how to put them all together. I'd rather build the octocopter and test it as I build it. I wont be flying it with the gimbal straight away. I have some ideal places that I could test and fly it in low altitudes. Doing the mechanical arrangements won't be a problem either ; such as the wiring ,motor-esc mounting. Putting stuff on the base plate. My only concern is to calibrate and make all the electronics work such as the autopilot of the multirotor and the electronics for the gimbal (gyros servos etc.). I would be able to do some DIY till some extent when it comes to mounting a Cinestar gimbal to the tarot frame. Probably the gimbal would be the most important part for me considering me wanting to use the copter for aerial cinemtography. I'm going to do some more research and read more topics about building an octocopter (especially the topics to do with iron man 1000mm) and then order the parts. If I have the right parts I'm sure I'll be able to put them together and do some fine tuning :)

kemmy

Yes I have. I have experience with RC Planes (electric motor ones) and my old good rc cars lol. But never had anything complex like a multicopter. In theory building a multirotor doesnt seem hard. Like I said before I just need small tips on how to put the electronics together and calibrate stuff.
ps: all of previous my experience was based on ready built RC's so i have no xp with building one if thats what youre suggesting when you asked me if i flew anything rc. :)

nicwilke

Kermy,
I admire your balls jumping in like this.
Take a look at the Tarot Gimbal, it'll hold a DSLR. Get yourself a few radians or try the tarot gimbal stabilisation system. It's good on the tarot gimbal.
On the maiden flight, give it plenty of throttle, these things hate the ground so put some distance between your multirotor and the ground and once in the air, it's a piece of piss.

nicwilke

Kermy,
Take a look at the Tarot Gimbal, it'll hold a DSLR. Get yourself a few radians or try the tarot gimbal stabilisation system. It's good on the tarot gimbal.
On the maiden flight, give it plenty of throttle, these things hate the ground so put some distance between your multirotor and the ground and once in the air, it's a piece of piss.

Consider the YS-X4 navigator, it is great for what you want to do and has auto land and 8 waypoints.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

hjls3

Cool man. I am sure that if you post up your problems as they happen, someone here will be able to help you out. When you start building, start a build thread and make sure to post lots of pictures. THat way when you run across a problem, it will be easier to help you out. Best of luck - let us know how you do.

Thanks for the advice hjls3 a few people suggested me about using training kits etc I know I'm gonna sound a little naughty here :) but to be honest I think I would be able to handle flying the multirotor. My lack is the knowledge of electronics and how to put them all together. I'd rather build the octocopter and test it as I build it. I wont be flying it with the gimbal straight away. I have some ideal places that I could test and fly it in low altitudes. Doing the mechanical arrangements won't be a problem either ; such as the wiring ,motor-esc mounting. Putting stuff on the base plate. My only concern is to calibrate and make all the electronics work such as the autopilot of the multirotor and the electronics for the gimbal (gyros servos etc.). I would be able to do some DIY till some extent when it comes to mounting a Cinestar gimbal to the tarot frame. Probably the gimbal would be the most important part for me considering me wanting to use the copter for aerial cinemtography. I'm going to do some more research and read more topics about building an octocopter (especially the topics to do with iron man 1000mm) and then order the parts. If I have the right parts I'm sure I'll be able to put them together and do some fine tuning :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Kermy,

hmmmmm....having trouble reading between the lines....sarcasm or serious?

kemmy

Kermy,
it's a piece of piss.

When you say that do you mean its a good gimbal or .. or what ?:) I think the gimbal would be the most important part when you consider what I wanna use the whole octocopter for. :) The problem with the Tarot 3axis gimbal is that I haven't seen any good* videos or demos so I really don't know what its like. But as far as I read and follow other topics in the forum people built systems using a tarot 1000mm iron man frame and a cinestar gimbal and the results are really really satisfying :) and thx again hjls3 as soon as I ordered and get my stuff from foxtechfpv I will start a new thread or edit this one to a build thread and discuss my progress :)

kemmy

OK I think I'm going to order the frame-motors-esc's sometime today or tomorrow but I can't decide which autopilot to choose , would you suggest DJI wookong m ? or Zero YS-X4 ? Due to strict custom regulations in Turkey with radio or electronics I will probably buy anything electronic from England when I visit my mum next week so I'd like some advice on the DJI wookong and YS-X4. Thx

nicwilke

Kermy,
If you want a good flight controller, go with WKM or YS-X6 or YS-X4 (cheaper). I'm sure you wont go wrong on whatever you build and fly.

OK I think I'm going to order the frame-motors-esc's sometime today or tomorrow but I can't decide which autopilot to choose , would you suggest DJI wookong m ? or Zero YS-X4 ? Due to strict custom regulations in Turkey with radio or electronics I will probably buy anything electronic from England when I visit my mum next week so I'd like some advice on the DJI wookong and YS-X4. Thx

kemmy

Thx nicwilke. I'll probably go with the WKM, I'll be ordering my parts on the 23rd due to some transaction problems and from there I'll probably open a new build thread for help n support :)

nicwilke

Thx nicwilke. I'll probably go with the WKM, I'll be ordering my parts on the 23rd due to some transaction problems and from there I'll probably open a new build thread for help n support :)

At least get Aerosim to get at least 8 hours of flight up before the maiden flight Kermy.
It saved me thousands.

ovdt

Another note:

Accordign to you setup, 6S lipo, 400KV motors and 14x4.7 props will not help you lift Epic. You need to go 15x5.5 props to get more lifting power.

kemmy

Thanks for the advice , well I was thinking to go with the 320kv motors and I could always change the config. What would you guys suggest to fly a red epic ? I know people flying it with 1000mm octos. for e.g as far as I remember these guys in turkey have similar configs with the motors and props that you said it cant fly the red epic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFXqkatpjMA but like I said im open to any suggestion :) and nicwilke thx I will use n sim :) Very good idea.

krleas

FPV Freak
Thanks for the advice , well I was thinking to go with the 320kv motors and I could always change the config. What would you guys suggest to fly a red epic ? I know people flying it with 1000mm octos. for e.g as far as I remember these guys in turkey have similar configs with the motors and props that you said it cant fly the red epic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFXqkatpjMA but like I said im open to any suggestion :) and nicwilke thx I will use n sim :) Very good idea.

KW10 motors with 500KV, 16x5 inch props, coax, check video.
And u dont need to have 1000mm bird.

Last edited by a moderator:

kemmy

Ohh thx krleas. My only fear was if the propellers were too wide they might hit each other with smaller frames but looks like it works great :) Thanks for the tip.