DJI 450 Control stick noob question

R

Romaja

Just assembled my new F450. I took the time to read the manuals on Naza M and my Futaba 8FGH. I am getting pretty good at chinglish now. I have the gains dialed in now but still notice a wobble on fast vertical decents. I read on the forum that this can be caused by disturbed through the props from the arms below. I will try a little forward speed to provide cleaner air as suggested.

The control inputs to elevator and aileron in manual mode seem too extreme. In other words a little stick input and the 450 really changes attitude in pitch and roll. I dont feel it is a gain issue as the rate seems fine but the limit is too extreme. I attempted to change the end points on my transmitter and that had no effect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
You should not change your endpoints once set up, you could affect how your failsafes or other switch functions work. If your pitch and roll are too sharp for you, lower your gains for them, or post your gains so we know what you have them set at.

The more information you provide, the better the replies will be.

R

Romaja

Thanks for your reply. My gains are as follows: Pitch/Roll 130/130, Yaw and vertical 100/105, Attitude Pitch/Roll 130/130. It is a stock Flamewheel 450 and I am using a Turnigy 3300mAh 3C. COG is in the center and it flys nice except the elevator and aileron seem sensitive as mentioned above.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I would try the pitch and roll at 110 and see how it goes, also you could assign one of your variable knobs to control the gains on the fly.... remote adjust until you find what works for you, when you find a nice number, plug it into your computer and see what your set at, then set it at that number.

Another question, with the 3s lipo, are you using the 10" or 8" props?

R

Romaja

I should have mentioned that I am using the 10 inch (DJI1038's). I have a knob assigned to pitch and roll gains only and if i turn them down too far then I get the wobble. I have assigned the knob to different gains and tried those as well although they did not seem to improve my situation.

I have looked in the futaba manual and tried to find a way to tame the elevator and aileron but havent found anything yet.

R

Romaja

Thank Deanot,
I looked at the spreadsheet and found a good gain combo. Although it is too sensitive in manual mode in pitch and roll around center stick.

Last edited:

R

Romaja

Hi if your response is too high/great a little expo in your radio might help Regards - bruce

Thanks for the reply. I used the spreadsheet Deanot suggested and saw some comments in regards to adding 20% to 30% expo only in manual mode. So, I think that is just what I need to calm it down around center stick. I am getting some big frame attitude changes with little stick input around the pitch/lateral axis and Roll/ Longitudinal axis.

I have read my Futaba 8FGH manual but dont understand how to add say 30% expo for manual mode. I am using #7 gear and switch SE to control 1. Manual 2. ATTI 3. GPS ATTI.
Do you know any reference that would better explain how to set this up?

Thank you in advance

DJI F450
Naza M w/ GPS
DJI 10 1038 props
Turnigy 3300 mHa 3 cell 11.1 20-50c discharge

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
One thing I am wondering.. is your radio set up for Acrobatic or Airplane mode? Could be possible if you're using Heli mode, you may have a weird mix going on.

Try setting up another model on your TX and make sure you reset the model before making adjustments.... just in case something is in there. I can't think of anything else that would screw around with your Pitch and Roll gains, if they are still to active around center stick, make them lower. Every model is different, your 450 and mine will vary from stock, but not by much.

Did you buy your Naza controller local? Can or do you have a servo you can plug into your RX to test the outputs? If you're not happy with the results, we need to test some things to make sure or to eliminate possible equipment errors.

I only say the above, because my setup worked out of the box almost. I built all mine, it was not a RTF or something like that. My radio gear was brand new out of the box, and I never had any issues like this.

R

Romaja

I purchased everything new and my 8FGH model is set up as follows Airplane normal, wing type normal, one aileron. I did purchase the Futaba 8fg "H" model so I would not have the ratcheted throttle but the selections look right. Aircraft flys nice and the gains seem fine now after looking at the spreadsheet. I am reading the manual and searching online to figure out how to add -30 expo to ailerons and elevators on my 3 way SE mode switch for manual mode only and Ill bet I will be all set!

I will post my results of the test flight when complete.
Thanks again for all your help.

Hi Romaja, I do not have the 8FGH but the Futaba T10C, I imagine yours would be similar. If you go into Expo there are 4 channels that can be set Aile, Elev, Thro and Rudd. In Aile, Elev & Rudd you have the option to select a switch and the position at which you want the expo to apply. In your case select switch "E" and set the switch to the manual position and adjust your expo (0 to - 100 or 0 to + 100). Adjustment :- •More sensitivity around neutral. (positive exponential) •Less sensitivity around neutral. (negative exponential). To highlight left or right side of expodential adjustment move the aileron/rudder stick. I hope this is helpful. Regards - bruce

R

Romaja

Hi Romaja, I do not have the 8FGH but the Futaba T10C, I imagine yours would be similar. If you go into Expo there are 4 channels that can be set Aile, Elev, Thro and Rudd. In Aile, Elev & Rudd you have the option to select a switch and the position at which you want the expo to apply. In your case select switch "E" and set the switch to the manual position and adjust your expo (0 to - 100 or 0 to + 100). Adjustment :- •More sensitivity around neutral. (positive exponential) •Less sensitivity around neutral. (negative exponential). To highlight left or right side of expodential adjustment move the aileron/rudder stick. I hope this is helpful. Regards - bruce

Awesome! Just what I needed! I will report back.
Thanks Bruce

R

Romaja

Update!
As reported earlier my quad was too sensitive around center stick in manual. With the help I recieved from this forum I was able to input -30 expo on my Futaba on ELE and AIL axis's and it feels perfect now!

One question: I tried to bring the dual rate down to 80% and when I calibrated in the DJI assistant it gave me a Config8 warning which states I need to calibrate my Tx? the engines would not arm up either so I took the D/R 80% out but I left the expo in.

I read somewhere that Nazi doesnt play nice with Dual rate?

Also, do I have to open the assistant everytime and recalibrate everytime I change the expo on my Tx?

Thanks