Hoverfly HoverFly Sport - artificial horizon not working properly

EDIT: FIGURED IT OUT. TWO ESCs PLUGGED INTO WRONG CONNECTOR. YELLOW AND ORANGE LOOK PRETTY SIMILAR ON JUNK LAPTOP. :strawberry:

I'm trying to get a HoverFly Sport board working on IrisAerial's FNF frame and have run into a problem I can't diagnose.

While in the setup utility looking at the artificial horizon, I tilt the aircraft, and the horizon tilts as it should then snaps back to level even though the aircraft is still tilted.

I'm uploading a video of this now.

Why does it matter? Because the HF Sport thinks it's level no matter how it is tilted which means flipping on takeoff. It registers the tilt for a moment, but then thinks it's level again, when it definitely isn't level.

Suggestions?

I'm using the latest firmware. I've tried flashing it a few times. Same result.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ignore it. I got the same thing, obviously the same board. The sport only needs that one gain setup. You only plug int the computer to tell it what config you have and thats it. No calibration or anything else as it has no AL, AH, OSD, etc. You shouldnt have to do anything since it came off my FnF. Did you ever do the cobra basket shot? :)

Figured it out. Yellow and orange look very similar on POS Acer I use for programming these suckers. I should've printed the manual instead of looking at it on this silly computer.

I went with MT2206-23 motors, 8x4.5 props, and turnigy plush 25a ESCs. I wanted something really lightweight. I'll probably put lighter ESCs on there at some point. For a heavier FPV setup, this wouldn't be the right combo, but it works pretty well for a lightweight setup that runs off of the small 2200mah 3S batteries that I have a bunch of.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
3s and 8" props. I will be curious to see how that works. Glad it's finally coming together. Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers
Yuri

Efliernz

Pete
Sorry.. Jumping on your thread... You guys being HF Sport gurus... is there any testing I can do on my 2nd hand HFS to check if it is functioning properly. My HFS Y6 flies forward level really well but the cornering is like controlling a rollercoaster - at any gain setting.

Pete

Pete, I once had a situation where an octo would fly forward fine, but cornered weird. I landed it and double checked the ESCs I had just hooked back into the board - I had confused the ESC wires of two booms that were next to each other. Just goes to show how good the Hoverfly boards are - hooked up wrong and it still flew, just not very well.

I would double check all the ESC connections first. Then you may want to check that all of the ESC's are programmed the same. You could also redo the throttle calibration. Other than that, I know that the motor alignment is pretty critical on a coaxial. Good luck with it!

Efliernz

Pete
Thanks

It behaves the same on a quad and Y6 and all the motors + esc's are pre-used. I'll look again tonight but I suspect I have a dud... :(

Cheers

Pete

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Then I'm really not sure. I had a weird thing happen where it flew perfect on 9" props. Then the next day it just jumped 15' off the ground when giving it throttle. Hoverfly still hasn't really answered a single question I've sent them over the last 4 months so I just played with it. I ended up putting 8" props on and it worked great. Makes no sense. But clearly it still works fine unless I stick those. 9" props on there. The weird part is that nothing changed and never had a hard landing. Dunno what to say. Sometimes these things just go to the x-files.