Graupner Prop Rotation Confusion

rocjock

This is silly but I'm confused. I just got some graupner E-props and I'm confused about the direction the props should rotate. The leading edge of the e-prop L indicates that it should rotate clockwise, yet the labeling on the pack says counter clockwise. And the same for the e-prop. The leading edge would indicate it should rotate counter clockwise but is labeled clockwise. I installed them corresponding to the leading edge and the air clearly pushes down but this is contrary to the packaging. Also, this is how I see them installed on other multirotors. Am I confused?

View attachment 10878
View attachment 10877

Attachments

• IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 350

Boomhauer

The prop rotation is viewed from the back of the prop as if you were sitting in the aircraft. Your prop is a CCW as marked on the package.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Look at the blade itself, forget what the packaging says. When you spin it in your hands imagine it grabbing the air in front of it. It should be risen on the side that is going into the air. In other words the leading edge should be pushing the air downward. The prop in your picture spins clockwise or to the right. Hope that makes sense. The packaging in wrong.

RobertsUp

The packages are labelled incorrectly. I noticed it right away. Somebody at the Graupner facility didn't understand the difference. Maybe the German and French words are correct. Nah. The props were put in the wrong package.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
The packages are labelled incorrectly. I noticed it right away. Somebody at the Graupner facility didn't understand the difference. Maybe the German and French words are correct. Nah. The props were put in the wrong package.

Rob

Maybe their knock-off versions or are they all like that? I've never used a Graupner but it doesn't matter, we should all know how to look at a prop and see which way it spins. I never look at the packages anyway, just the prop itself. It should be pushing the air down and you only need to look at one side of the prop. Whichever side is digging into the air and forcing it down when you spin it in your hands is the way it turns. Plus, if you put them on backwards your copter will just push itself into the ground the more you ramp up your throttle so probably no damage and you'd realize quickly given you did them all backwards :) :) :) but good points Rob. I hope he figures it out and gets up and flying. I'm grounded right now waiting on parts, put her into the ground for the first time...doing something STUPID...ugh...

RobertsUp

You tried to flip it? For a coup des gras at the end of an excellent flight?

Why not. You were on a roll and flying fast. I would have tried it too.

Yep. As soon as it inverted the props drove it straight down.

Nevertheless a fun fpv video. Glad your bird survived mostly intact.

Rob

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
You tried to flip it? For a coup des gras at the end of an excellent flight?

Why not. You were on a roll and flying fast. I would have tried it too.

Yep. As soon as it inverted the props drove it straight down.

Nevertheless a fun fpv video. Glad your bird survived mostly intact.

Rob

YES!...sigh... I hate to admit it but it was the last flight of the day and I was high on adrenaline and having a great time. I had just come back to land and was hauling around 40mph and low so I thought I'd pop up, flip and land and that would make a great end to the day....yeah, it was an end to the day, next week, the following week and so on. Now when I watch it I'm just sad and I go check my tracking numbers lol. I did learn a lot from my mistake though. You need to keep all of your heavier pieces of equipment in the center of your multi that way you can perform flips and maneuvers much faster and cleaner. The more you put things out towards the motors the more weight those motors have to "lift" in that area. If you put everything in the center it's far easier for the craft to rotate. Similar is when you played on the merry-go-round as a kid and you'd move to the center and it would spin faster but the second someone went to the very edge the whole thing would spin slower, center is the key. My next MR will have everything in the center and thus a better center of gravity on the X, Y and Z axis-es. Carbon fiber coming soon, Rusty's UAP-2 Y6 is the next build...just wish I could fly now!!! :(

Boomhauer

I checked all of my Graupner props and they are all this way. The direction of rotation is viewed from the rear as they do in full size aircraft. The prop in the pic is correct and so is the packaging. It's a counter clockwise prop viewed from the rear.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I checked all of my Graupner props and they are all this way. The direction of rotation is viewed from the rear as they do in full size aircraft. The prop in the pic is correct and so is the packaging. It's a counter clockwise prop viewed from the rear.

Boom, hate to tell you buddy but you're dead wrong. That prop in the picture he listed in the first post spins clockwise, it's as clear as day for those of us who have been flying for years lol...

ChrisViperM

It's pretty easy....put the prop on the table....one side of the blades is close to the table, the other side is higher....the higher side is the direction of spin....so if the left side of the blade is on the table and the right side is higher, than it's counter clock wise...and vica versus

Chris

rocjock

Haha. This is funny. Well to get in the air you have to do what the leading edge tells you. In my case, the opposite of the package.

Boom it doesn't matter how you orient yourself to the aircraft cw and ccw are fixed directions. Cw is the same no matter where your looking from. Try it for yourself.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Boom it doesn't matter how you orient yourself to the aircraft cw and ccw are fixed directions. Cw is the same no matter where your looking from. Try it for yourself.
but it's not when you use a prop meant for an aeroplane.

Boomhauer

Boom, hate to tell you buddy but you're dead wrong. That prop in the picture he listed in the first post spins clockwise, it's as clear as day for those of us who have been flying for years lol...

I've been flying for years too my friend. I'm an ATP, CFI and A&P. Prop and rotor rotations are always viewed from the rear and bottom respectively in full scale aircraft. It does not surprise me that Grapuner uses this method. All of my Grapuner "L" props spin clockwise when viewed from above in a multirotor which is the wrong viewing orientation for judging their rotation direction.

rocjock

well that's all you had to say to clear it up. yesterday, when you said from inside the aircraft i didn't know you were talking about an airplane. nor did i think that's how they were labeled. thanks for clearing it up.

Boomhauer

Haha. This is funny. Well to get in the air you have to do what the leading edge tells you. In my case, the opposite of the package.

If you and I are facing each other and you put a spinning disk between us one of us will say it's spinning clockwise and one of us will say it's counter clockwise. To say CC and CCW is fixed is not correct. It depends on which side of the disk you are judging it from. Grapuner judges it from the rear, as does full scale aviation.

You are right though. The raised edge should go forward in the direction of rotation.

Boomhauer

well that's all you had to say to clear it up. yesterday, when you said from inside the aircraft i didn't know you were talking about an airplane. nor did i think that's how they were labeled. thanks for clearing it up.

Sorry Jock...I should have been clearer on that now that I go back and read it.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I've been flying for years too my friend. I'm an ATP, CFI and A&P. Prop and rotor rotations are always viewed from the rear and bottom respectively in full scale aircraft. It does not surprise me that Grapuner uses this method. All of my Grapuner "L" props spin clockwise when viewed from above in a multirotor which is the wrong viewing orientation for judging their rotation direction.

I see what you're doing, you're confusing the mislabeled package as the way the blade is built versus the way it actually spins. Throw the package out and forget how the Chinese person labeled it, it's not correct. If the blade spins to make lift in a clockwise direction, it's a clockwise spinning blade. In the case of this picture, it's a clockwise blade period the end. THe higher part of the leading edge is facing to the right, CLOCKS spin their arms to the right...not to the left. CLOCKwise means, it goes the same direction as a clock...it has nothing to do with what type of craft it's on. That picture is of a clockwise spinning blade or to the right, this isn't an argument...that's the way it is period.